"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 04:29 PM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
(22-03-2016 03:30 PM)jennybee Wrote:  should we just create a huge spreadsheet and look at each one until we "feel something" in terms of which one we should worship?
Even if a god does exist, why should we worship it?

Perhaps they ought to put it into the creation museum, and we can go check it out if we are in that part of the world and have nothing better to do.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
22-03-2016, 04:36 PM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:
Share or provoke?

(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The New Psychology of Atheism
New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...gy-atheism

So you post an article, clearly emblazoned with "Psychology Today", written, as you noted by a PhD. The article claims to summarize two studies that cast atheists in a negative light. A slant which you are clearly aware of, as indicated in your opening sentence.

Then you misrepresent your access to the information in the abstract as being behind the paywall. That could be a deliberate lie, or simply poor research.
Quote:No, I didn't note it, since it wasn't quoted in the actual article cited, but apparently in the abstracts for one of them. The two cited articles are behind a pay wall, so I didn't have the opportunity to read them myself.

Then you accuse us of misleading ourselves, not being honest with ourselves and finish by making generalizations about atheists.
Quote:I do believe that any sense of identity we form whether a theistic one, or an atheistic one, has a great deal to do with emotional reasons regardless if we want to acknowledge it or not. That we can't particularally compartmentalize emotional reasons, and what may appear to us as intellectual ones.

And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

Then when I check the author's bio:

Quote:Andy Tix, Ph.D. is a faculty member in the Department of Psychology at Normandale Community College in Bloomington, Minnesota. He completed his B.S. in Psychology at the University of Wisconsin - Madison and his Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology at the University of Minnesota. Dr. Tix is nationally known for his work in the psychology of religion and spirituality. He has won numerous teaching awards. Dr. Tix also hosts a blog devoted to exploring mystery and awe (link is external). He lives with his wife, Amy, and two daughters in Hastings, Minnesota.

Bolding mine. PhD notwithstanding, the author is clearly biased towards religion and spirituality.

Now, I have a question for you.
Do you see why atheists get upset when theists pull shit like you just pulled?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 10 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-03-2016, 04:54 PM
"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
Here we go again.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
22-03-2016, 05:08 PM
(22-03-2016 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you capitalize 'atheist'?

Why do you keep using the incorrect form 'an atheists'?

He's expressed that he thinks it sounds better or formulates better and said something about maybe it being because he has a lisp. It's his consistent thing to do.

I just don't get why he'd put it in a quote that surely wasn't said or said in the article in the way you would use a quote/thread title about an article. It's just an attempting attention grabber usage.

I'm fine with accepting people of any range to a position they come to. it may take a combination of all 3 of the classic rhetoric systems to work over some people and it's fine. Maybe it will be able to expand beyond just some particular ingroups too.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
22-03-2016, 05:34 PM
(22-03-2016 03:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, I didn't note it, since it wasn't quoted in the actual article cited, but apparently in the abstracts for one of them. The two cited articles are behind a pay wall, so I didn't have the opportunity to read them myself.

That sentence was in the abstract which was accessible to you.
Do you wish to acknowledge the content of that quote?

Pro tip: Articles about studies or surveys are not very convincing as they are subject to the biases and misunderstandings of an article's author.

Toma seems to have wandered off. I think that even the theists who can sometimes string some sentences together and post at an atheist forum would, after a spanking or two, dig into the material they post. It would avoid many a spanking, but maybe that's the desire in the end. As far as your run-of-the-pew theist goes, that headline and perhaps the first paragraph will give them comfort and reassurance in their delusion. I'd not expect to post anything here that I didn't expect for someone to vet out. It's "an Atheists" thing. Credulity needs a vacation in most of the world, but not here; it's pretty much in solitary confinement. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
22-03-2016, 06:04 PM
(22-03-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  Did you note this:
"Nonbelievers reported that relational reasons for nonbelief were far less important than intellectual reasons for nonbelief"
and avoid quoting it? Consider

No, I didn't note it, since it wasn't quoted in the actual article cited, but apparently in the abstracts for one of them. The two cited articles are behind a pay wall, so I didn't have the opportunity to read them myself.

"Nonbelievers reported that relational reasons for nonbelief were far less important than intellectual reasons for nonbelief. However, these findings suggest that, for some nonbelievers, negative relational experiences with or conceptions of gods are seen as a somewhat important reason for not believing in gods."

This is from the study Tomasliar.

I became an atheist at age 4 when i found it made no sense. What possible emotional reason could I have had?

It makes no sense!

God is his son and his father and his ghost? God can be killed by mortals? But, when killed he returns to Heaven alive, his normal residence, and then pretends to return from being dead back on earth? To fulfill his very own prophesy that he'd do that???

I mean why???

It make no sense. I realised that at 4. Tomasia I was more mature at 4 than you are now.

Think on that!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
22-03-2016, 06:14 PM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

The New Psychology of Atheism
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

I always take studies like these with a large sack of salt. Even studies that are favorable to atheists I take with a large dose of salt, such as studies that show that atheists are more intelligent, more moral, etc.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post
22-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Well isn't this special.
Trying to demean and invalidate a stance with respect to a bunch of nonsense by calling it "emotional". That coming from someone who actually believes that a "spirit" *came upon* a group of Jews who were "afraid" and after that they somehow "believed" (at Pentecost). That was NOTHING if not a group emotional experience.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 8 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-03-2016, 07:19 PM
(22-03-2016 06:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well isn't this special.
Trying to demean and invalidate a stance with respect to a bunch of nonsense by calling it "emotional". That coming from someone who actually believes that a "spirit" *came upon* a group of Jews who were "afraid" and after that they somehow "believed" (at Pentecost). That was NOTHING if not a group emotional experience.

What did they use for ganja in the ME in those days? Must've been some good shit.
22-03-2016, 07:20 PM
(22-03-2016 06:14 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  

The New Psychology of Atheism
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

I always take studies like these with a large sack of salt. Even studies that are favorable to atheists I take with a large dose of salt, such as studies that show that atheists are more intelligent, more moral, etc.

That much salt is gonna make you barf, if the original premise didn't.