"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 07:50 PM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
(22-03-2016 07:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 06:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Well isn't this special.
Trying to demean and invalidate a stance with respect to a bunch of nonsense by calling it "emotional". That coming from someone who actually believes that a "spirit" *came upon* a group of Jews who were "afraid" and after that they somehow "believed" (at Pentecost). That was NOTHING if not a group emotional experience.

What did they use for ganja in the ME in those days? Must've been some good shit.

According to Herodotus they smoked a form of hashish.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2016, 08:15 PM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:

The New Psychology of Atheism
New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. In both studies, the extent to which research participants revealed relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief was associated with various indicators of negative emotionality, such as trait anger, psychological entitlement, and fearful / preoccupied attachment styles."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the...gy-atheism

Proverbs 9:10: Fear of the lord is the begging o wisdom, and knowledge of the holy one is understanding.

The Bible makes it clear that an emotion is the starting point of knowledge.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
22-03-2016, 08:36 PM
A 'study' where they talked with 171 people. Is that really enough people from enough backgrounds and experiences to come up with a conclusion? I would say it would be plenty if there were 200 atheists total in the world. Seems a small sampling and not worth the time to read (or even to have written) the article.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
22-03-2016, 09:07 PM
(22-03-2016 07:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 07:19 PM)Fireball Wrote:  What did they use for ganja in the ME in those days? Must've been some good shit.

According to Herodotus they smoked a form of hashish.

What was I thinking?!?! Of course there was opium all over the place. I was making a (weak) joke, thinking marijuana. They had way better shit than pot, I guess.
22-03-2016, 09:11 PM
(22-03-2016 09:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 07:50 PM)Banjo Wrote:  According to Herodotus they smoked a form of hashish.

What was I thinking?!?! Of course there was opium all over the place. I was making a (weak) joke, thinking marijuana. They had way better shit than pot, I guess.

Hashish is cannabis, not opium.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-03-2016, 09:11 PM
(22-03-2016 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  A 'study' where they talked with 171 people. Is that really enough people from enough backgrounds and experiences to come up with a conclusion? I would say it would be plenty if there were 200 atheists total in the world. Seems a small sampling and not worth the time to read (or even to have written) the article.

Judging from the abstract I think it says there were about 600 people in the study. The first study did have 171, but the second study says 429.

We could invite the authors over and let them study us... Smartass

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
22-03-2016, 09:13 PM
(22-03-2016 09:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  What was I thinking?!?! Of course there was opium all over the place. I was making a (weak) joke, thinking marijuana. They had way better shit than pot, I guess.

Hashish is cannabis, not opium.

Isn't the hashish thing where we get the word "assassin" from?
Hashashin? or something like that.

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
22-03-2016, 09:17 PM
(22-03-2016 09:13 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hashish is cannabis, not opium.

Isn't the hashish thing where we get the word "assassin" from?
Hashashin? or something like that.

hashish
Origin

late 16th century: from Arabic ḥašīš ‘dry herb, powdered hemp leaves’.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
22-03-2016, 09:20 PM
It was bugging me:

wikipedia is my friend
Quote:
Assassins (from Arabic: أساسيون‎ Asasiyun) is the name used to refer to the medieval Nizari Ismailis. Often characterized as a secret order led by a mysterious "Old Man of the Mountain", the Nizari Ismailis were an Islamic sect that formed in the late 11th century from a split within Ismailism, itself a branch of Shia Islam.

The name "Assassin" is often said to derive from the Arabic word Hashishin or "users of hashish",[ (which can be used as a derogatory term in Arabic and it is the equivalent of "drug addict", in this case, "hashish addict") was originally applied to the Nizari Ismaelis by the rival Mustali Ismailis during the fall of the Ismaili Fatimid Empire and the separation of the two Ismaili streams, there is little evidence hashish was used to motivate the assassins, contrary to the beliefs of their medieval enemies. It is possible that the term hashishiyya or hashishi in Arabic sources was used metaphorically in its abusive sense relating to use of hashish, which due to its effects on the mind state, is outlawed in Islam. Modern versions of this word include Mahashish used in the same derogatory sense, albeit less offensive nowadays, as the use of the substance is more widespread.

22-03-2016, 09:21 PM
I'm an atheist for culinary reasons.
I think spaghetti is *just divine*.
Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post