"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2016, 09:31 PM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
(22-03-2016 09:20 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  It was bugging me:

wikipedia is my friend
Quote:
Assassins (from Arabic: أساسيون‎ Asasiyun) is the name used to refer to the medieval Nizari Ismailis. Often characterized as a secret order led by a mysterious "Old Man of the Mountain", the Nizari Ismailis were an Islamic sect that formed in the late 11th century from a split within Ismailism, itself a branch of Shia Islam.

The name "Assassin" is often said to derive from the Arabic word Hashishin or "users of hashish",[ (which can be used as a derogatory term in Arabic and it is the equivalent of "drug addict", in this case, "hashish addict") was originally applied to the Nizari Ismaelis by the rival Mustali Ismailis during the fall of the Ismaili Fatimid Empire and the separation of the two Ismaili streams, there is little evidence hashish was used to motivate the assassins, contrary to the beliefs of their medieval enemies. It is possible that the term hashishiyya or hashishi in Arabic sources was used metaphorically in its abusive sense relating to use of hashish, which due to its effects on the mind state, is outlawed in Islam. Modern versions of this word include Mahashish used in the same derogatory sense, albeit less offensive nowadays, as the use of the substance is more widespread.

This is many years, about 2200 after Herodotus anyway.

“The Scythians put the Seeds of this HEMP under the bags, upon the burning stones; and immediately a more agreeable vapor is emitted than from the incense burnt in Greece. The Company extremely transported with the scent, howl aloud. “
Herodotus. Circa 425 B.C.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
22-03-2016, 10:45 PM
(22-03-2016 02:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

I could not tell you what my original reasons for not believing were, assuming I had reasons. All I know for certain is that I didn't have this thing they called faith.

My reasons for leaving the church were emotional, though not negative ones as some theists laughably assume. I had become a "young adult" and Sunday School was over. Half way through Confirmation classes I realized that I didn't believe what I was going to have to say. I could mouth the words or I could take my leave. I chose to depart because I respected my friends' beliefs too much to do them the disservice of hypocrisy.

My intellectual reasons only came later. They're the ones that you're most likely to hear because they're the easiest to elucidate. It's a rare atheist that can give you an empassioned reason for their lack of belief. Rarer yet one who feels the need to do so.

Why don't I believe? Quite simply, nobody has ever given me a good reason to do so.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-03-2016, 11:42 PM
(22-03-2016 08:36 PM)Anjele Wrote:  A 'study' where they talked with 171 people. Is that really enough people from enough backgrounds and experiences to come up with a conclusion? I would say it would be plenty if there were 200 atheists total in the world. Seems a small sampling and not worth the time to read (or even to have written) the article.

In an absolute best-case scenario, the confidence in your result is limitted to 1/sqrt(n) where n is the number of measurements you've taken. In this case that's 1/sqrt(171) or about 7.6%. That's at 1 standard deviation. To get to your typical +/-95% confidence interval you need 2 standard deviations, so twice that or an uncertainy of about 15%.

The study with 429 individuals makes it up to marginally better than 10% at the two standard deviation level. That's in an ideal case though and nothing as ambiguous as psychology ever manages to get near that. In analytical chem, which is pretty cut and dried, the actual uncertainties are typically half again as high as the minimum that you get from sample size alone. I'd be impressed if these guys managed to make it in under 25% uncertainty.

You can't simply sum the two sample populations. Different studies, different questions, possibly the some of the same respondents in both studies, etc... You could try a meta-analysis if you were really into masochism but the stats neeed for levelling and cross-correlating two studies like that are the stuff of nightmares and likely introduce more uncertainty than they'd remove.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-03-2016, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2016 12:12 AM by Paleophyte.)
What I thought was really interesting was the way the original article grossly misrepresents the actual research.

The first paper that they cite deals with the positive and negative characteristics of a hypothetical god that non-believers are asked to imagine. As you might well guess, given the extremely broad definition of "god", they got some negative responses. Shock of shocks, some atheists envisioned a biblically literal god who's a bit of a genocidal bastard.

Bradley et al. Wrote:We asked self-labeled atheists (Study 1) and individuals holding atheistic and agnostic views (Study 2) to rate the extent to which their nonbelief was based on negative past relational experiences or negative current views regarding the character of a hypothetical god or gods.

That isn't so bad but the article then goes on to conflate it with "earlier research" based on anger at god amongst cancer survivors or their bereaved loved ones. You will all be completely stunned by results which were that (1) some people get pissed at the AllMighty when their spouse gets eaten alive by bone cancer and (2) people who used that coping mechanism, especially over the long-term, tended not to adjust well.

Exline et al. Wrote:Yet, perceived relationships with God also carry the potential for experiencing anger toward God, as shown here in studies with the U.S. population (Study 1), undergraduates (Studies 2 and 3), bereaved individuals (Study 4), and cancer survivors (Study 5).

Unsurprisingly, both studies share a common author, Prof. J. Exline, lead author on the latter paper and thesis supervisor to the lead author on the former. Prof Exline appears to have her own biases but I am more amazed that anybody ever needed funding to reach these conclusions.

Regardless, Dr. Tix pushes reason well beyond the breaking point in attempting to use the more recent reserch to support the older and only distantly related work. One can only wonder what his aggenda is.

News flash! Scientists discover that atheists have emotions!

---
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
23-03-2016, 05:08 AM
(22-03-2016 09:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:20 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  It was bugging me:

wikipedia is my friend

This is many years, about 2200 after Herodotus anyway.

“The Scythians put the Seeds of this HEMP under the bags, upon the burning stones; and immediately a more agreeable vapor is emitted than from the incense burnt in Greece. The Company extremely transported with the scent, howl aloud. “
That brings a funny picture to mind. Big Grin

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
23-03-2016, 06:05 AM
(23-03-2016 05:08 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  This is many years, about 2200 after Herodotus anyway.

That brings a funny picture to mind. Big Grin

Have you not read Herodotus? Lots of funny and profound images. One of the best books ever. In fact, I feel inspired to begin a literature snob thread. Classics only. Keep your comics away! Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-03-2016, 06:37 AM
(22-03-2016 04:36 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I thought this was interesting, and perhaps controversial for some here. So I thought I'd share:
Share or provoke?

A bit of both. I was curious to hear the responses, while at the same time knowing that it was likely to be a bit provocative. It's not like I quoted some christian blog, but a somewhat reputable publications, summarizing the observations made by two separate studies.

Quote:Then you misrepresent your access to the information in the abstract as being behind the paywall.

No, you just misrepresented what I wrote. I didn't read the full article because it was behind a pay well, not the abstract. I only more carefully read the abstract when Chas highlighted a quote and I couldn't find it in the linked article.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-03-2016, 06:42 AM
(22-03-2016 03:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  That sentence was in the abstract which was accessible to you.
Do you wish to acknowledge the content of that quote?

I acknowledge that quote from the abstract, something I only came to realize after you quoted it, and i had to search for where it came from.

Quote:Pro tip: Articles about studies or surveys are not very convincing as they are subject to the biases and misunderstandings of an article's author.

Well, there's a variety of studies behind pay walls, it seems to be a common thing, that the only resources us laymen have are the articles available freely that summarize them. I work with the hands I'm dealt, but the highlighted points, seems to be less a matter of editorial spin, and more or less what the studies themselves point out.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-03-2016, 06:45 AM
(22-03-2016 05:08 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I just don't get why he'd put it in a quote that surely wasn't said or said in the article in the way you would use a quote/thread title about an article. It's just an attempting attention grabber usage.

Exactly, like every headline in a newspaper. An attempt to maximize views and responses to the thread, duh. I chose quotes, to indicate that I wasn't referring to myself as an atheist, not to suggest that it came from the article.

23-03-2016, 06:52 AM
(23-03-2016 06:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A bit of both. I was curious to hear the responses, while at the same time knowing that it was likely to be a bit provocative. It's not like I quoted some christian blog, but a somewhat reputable publications, summarizing the observations made by two separate studies.

You were't "curious" and you fucking know it, Church Lady. You thought you had an opportunity to be (once again) self-righteous, and you took it.

Quote:No, you just misrepresented what I wrote. I didn't read the full article because it was behind a pay well, not the abstract. I only more carefully read the abstract when Chas highlighted a quote and I couldn't find it in the linked article.

No one "misrepresented anything, Church lady. And BTW, Do you ever plan on learning to write in the English language ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post