"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 07:01 AM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
(22-03-2016 10:45 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  And it's more the tendency of folks that suggest that they're atheists purely for intellectual reasons, that are not being entirely honest with themselves. While I wouldn't say they're atheists for purely emotional reason either, just that emotional reasons are a significant part of it.

I could not tell you what my original reasons for not believing were, assuming I had reasons. All I know for certain is that I didn't have this thing they called faith.

My reasons for leaving the church were emotional, though not negative ones as some theists laughably assume. I had become a "young adult" and Sunday School was over. Half way through Confirmation classes I realized that I didn't believe what I was going to have to say. I could mouth the words or I could take my leave. I chose to depart because I respected my friends' beliefs too much to do them the disservice of hypocrisy.

Any particular life event transpire around the same time as the disbelief crept in at confirmation class? Parents divorce, death, breakups, etc...? Something that made you uncomfortable with what you were being led to believe, that perhaps created some distance between the religious identity your friends took on, and the one you didn't feel comfortable accepting yourself?

Why do you think such suspicions arose for you, but not for them in the same way? What sort of factors do you think might have made your trajectory distinct from theirs here?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Cannot help but notice you avoid me Tomasia. 4 years old too much for you?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-03-2016, 07:07 AM
(22-03-2016 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you capitalize 'atheist'?

Why do you keep using the incorrect form 'an atheists'?

A biological defect, perhaps related to why I have trouble distinguishing my left from my right without looking at the hand that forms an L shape. It takes more effort for me to ensure that I write "an atheist" every time. Perhaps as you frequently correct it, then maybe I'll built a more resilient muscle memory, but I lack the ability to acquire the common habits others have when writing so easily.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-03-2016, 07:10 AM
(23-03-2016 07:07 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 03:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why do you capitalize 'atheist'?

Why do you keep using the incorrect form 'an atheists'?

A biological defect, perhaps related to why I have trouble distinguishing my left from my right without looking at the hand that forms an L shape. It takes more effort for me to ensure that I write "an atheist" every time. Perhaps as you frequently correct it, then maybe I'll built a more resilient muscle memory, but I lack the ability to acquire the common habits others have when writing so easily.

As an expert in muscle memory, I call bullshit!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
23-03-2016, 07:31 AM
(23-03-2016 07:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Cannot help but notice you avoid me Tomasia. 4 years old too much for you?

Because given your situation, It's not worth the argument.

I could take some guesses, given other details you've shared about you life, about possible emotional factors, explore how and if they contributed to you disbelief or not, what roles your negative views on religion, past experiences with religious individuals in your life, contribute to your identity as an atheist, but this seems to be an avenue more damaging than fruitful, regardless of my own curiosity as to what the real truth is here.

23-03-2016, 07:32 AM
(23-03-2016 06:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A bit of both. I was curious to hear the responses, while at the same time knowing that it was likely to be a bit provocative. It's not like I quoted some christian blog, but a somewhat reputable publications, summarizing the observations made by two separate studies.
Your initial post emphasized science/psychology aspects while minimizing or neglecting entirely any religious aspects.

A few minutes of searching reveals that while the university is relatively reputable, the three researchers involved are all focused on religion/spiritual matters. While this does not make them wrong, it certainly indicates a potential bias.

(23-03-2016 06:37 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, you just misrepresented what I wrote. I didn't read the full article because it was behind a pay well, not the abstract. I only more carefully read the abstract when Chas highlighted a quote and I couldn't find it in the linked article.

Sigh. The posts are here for everyone to see.

I said:
Quote:Then you misrepresent your access to the information in the abstract as being behind the paywall. That could be a deliberate lie, or simply poor research.

In reference to:
(22-03-2016 03:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 02:16 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, I didn't note it, since it wasn't quoted in the actual article cited, but apparently in the abstracts for one of them. The two cited articles are behind a pay wall, so I didn't have the opportunity to read them myself.

That sentence was in the abstract which was accessible to you.
Do you wish to acknowledge the content of that quote?

How did I misrepresent what you said? Especially after your comment to Chas:
(23-03-2016 06:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I acknowledge that quote from the abstract, something I only came to realize after you quoted it, and i had to search for where it came from.
That would be "poor research" wouldn't it?

I misrepresented nothing.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
23-03-2016, 07:39 AM
(23-03-2016 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You were't "curious" and you fucking know it, Church Lady. You thought you had an opportunity to be (once again) self-righteous, and you took it.

Your ability to derive other people's intentions is not very good, which I'm sure is not just a problem for you on the internet.

23-03-2016, 07:40 AM
(23-03-2016 07:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:06 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Cannot help but notice you avoid me Tomasia. 4 years old too much for you?

Because given your situation, It's not worth the argument.

I could take some guesses, given other details you've shared about you life, about possible emotional factors, explore how and if they contributed to you disbelief or not, what roles your negative views on religion, past experiences with religious individuals in your life, contribute to your identity as an atheist, but this seems to be an avenue more damaging than fruitful, regardless of my own curiosity as to what the real truth is here.

Well at least for the next 6 weeks my mind is clearing. Then back on the hard drugs.

At 4 I read a kids book on the bable and dismissed it. It was unbelievable and stupid to me.

Although I do thank you for taking my illness into play. Very gentlemanly of you.

However, my mind is coming back ever so slowly. At least for 6 weeks. So, take your best shot. I am a minister and know the bible intimately.

Banjo.
23-03-2016, 07:46 AM
(22-03-2016 09:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:07 PM)Fireball Wrote:  What was I thinking?!?! Of course there was opium all over the place. I was making a (weak) joke, thinking marijuana. They had way better shit than pot, I guess.

Hashish is cannabis, not opium.

You're doing it wrong. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
23-03-2016, 07:47 AM
(23-03-2016 07:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-03-2016 09:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Hashish is cannabis, not opium.

You're doing it wrong. Tongue

STOP changing your avatar. Or am I dreaming? Big Grin

Banjo.