"I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: "I'm an Atheists for Emotional Reasons."
(23-03-2016 07:32 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  That would be "poor research" wouldn't it?

I just read the article, found it interesting, and thought I'd shared it, almost as soon as I read it. It came from a somewhat reputable publication, summarizing two separate studies. If people believe it's inaccurate, they can express those points in the thread. I left that discussion open.

If they believe that something written in the abstract contradicts what the author of the article summarized, than I'm all ears too. I figured some people might even be inclined to pay for access, or have access through their universities, and share a bit more here about the studies as well.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
23-03-2016, 07:57 AM
(23-03-2016 07:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Well at least for the next 6 weeks my mind is clearing. Then back on the hard drugs.

At 4 I read a kids book on the bable and dismissed it. It was unbelievable and stupid to me.

Although I do thank you for taking my illness into play. Very gentlemanly of you.

However, my mind is coming back ever so slowly. At least for 6 weeks. So, take your best shot. I am a minister and know the bible intimately.

Okay. I'm not interested in taking shots, but I am curious about a few things here regarding yourself. I know you've expressed before a difficult upbringing, though I'm not too sure how early all this was.

At 4, were you already having a difficult life? Where you already angry? Do you believe that whatever volatile emotional state you might have been placed in at that age, had no effect on your just forming attitudes toward religion? That you were able to separate the two here?

Or maybe your life at that early stage was pretty good, only became difficult later on. I don't know, but I am curious.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
23-03-2016, 08:06 AM
(23-03-2016 07:32 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Your initial post emphasized science/psychology aspects while minimizing or neglecting entirely any religious aspects.

A few minutes of searching reveals that while the university is relatively reputable, the three researchers involved are all focused on religion/spiritual matters. While this does not make them wrong, it certainly indicates a potential bias.

I think pretty much any study dealing with the topic of religion, atheism, politics, etc.. indicates potential biases and perhaps unavoidable ones. This one seems fairly decent, compared to others one's I've seen circulating in places like this, such as the one about religious kids being meaner than non-religious ones.

If there's some criticism to leveled at the methodology, how the surveys were conducted, etc... I'm open to hearing it.

23-03-2016, 08:08 AM
(23-03-2016 07:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I just read the article, found it interesting, and thought I'd troll it, almost as soon as I read it.

Nothing's ever simple with you. It'd be swell if you stopped pretending otherwise.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-03-2016, 08:12 AM
(23-03-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 06:52 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You were't "curious" and you fucking know it, Church Lady. You thought you had an opportunity to be (once again) self-righteous, and you took it.

Your ability to derive other people's intentions is not very good, which I'm sure is not just a problem for you on the internet.

Said the judgmental Church Lady about *my* intentions.
You've been here long enough, and made sweeping generalizations about atheists often enough, that it's your schtick, you do all the time, Mr. Charitable-Christian-by-their-love-you-will-know-them-dude, (hahaha).

BTW, the word "derive" is not appropriate in that context.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
23-03-2016, 08:13 AM
(23-03-2016 08:08 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 07:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I just read the article, found it interesting, and thought I'd troll it, almost as soon as I read it.

Nothing's ever simple with you. It'd be swell if you stopped pretending otherwise.

Yea I don't really get off on pissing people off for no reason, though I likely do piss a few people off.

23-03-2016, 08:21 AM
(23-03-2016 07:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Okay. I'm not interested in taking shots, but I am curious about a few things here regarding yourself. I know you've expressed before a difficult upbringing, though I'm not too sure how early all this was.

I did not have an "upbringing". I raised myself. Yes it was hard, but after age 8.

Quote:At 4, were you already having a difficult life?

At 4, I did not know.

Quote:Where you already angry?

You are assuming I was angry. Do you not know that when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me?

Quote:Do you believe that whatever volatile emotional state you might have been placed in at that age, had no effect on your just forming attitudes toward religion?

Again you make assumptions. At that age I had not one clue.

Quote:That you were able to separate the two here?

No. The book was idiotic and stupid. That was obvious to me. It made no sense. That is all.

Quote:Or maybe your life at that early stage was pretty good, only became difficult later on. I don't know, but I am curious.

My first job was working on an airfield and flying with cropdusters. I loved it and did not have to attend school.

By the time life became very tough was long after age 4. I still held religion in contempt and immoral.

It was around age 16, when I first read Western philosophy and then the bable I began to despise it. On moral grounds. The degradation of women. The xenophobia. It made me sick. I have been, or had been, fighting it ever since. Which is why I became a minister. To learn it from within.

I despise it to this day. My upbringing had nothing to do with it. It was the text. Nothing more, nothing less.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-03-2016, 08:30 AM
(23-03-2016 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Said the judgmental Church Lady about *my* intentions.
You've been here long enough, and made sweeping generalizations about atheists often enough, that it's your schtick, you do all the time,

You're right that is my shtick, to form sweeping generalizations, and than reconsider and form new ones based on those reconsiderations. Some people form such generalizations with very little interaction with the group they're generalizing, I prefer to do it with as much interaction as possible.

I can't say I've formed a definitive answer, into why a person such as yourself doesn't believe, and I do, though I have some assumptions, but I am very interested in the question, as it relates to who we are, as to what brings another me into the world, and another you.

23-03-2016, 08:39 AM
(23-03-2016 08:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(23-03-2016 08:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Said the judgmental Church Lady about *my* intentions.
You've been here long enough, and made sweeping generalizations about atheists often enough, that it's your schtick, you do all the time,

You're right that is my shtick, to form sweeping generalizations, and than reconsider and form new ones based on those reconsiderations. Some people form such generalizations with very little interaction with the group they're generalizing, I prefer to do it with as much interaction as possible.

I can't say I've formed a definitive answer, into why a person such as yourself doesn't believe, and I do, though I have some assumptions, but I am very interested in the question, as it relates to who we are, as to what brings another me into the world, and another you.

I cannot speak for Bucky, but I reckon absolutely zero evidence of a god has something to do with it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-03-2016, 08:55 AM
(22-03-2016 01:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  The New Psychology of Atheism
New research reveals some of the emotional factors involved in disbelief.
Posted Mar 21, 2016

""Results showed that 54% of those who self-reported that they were atheists or agnostics indicated some relational and emotional reasons for nonbelief. In the second study, 72% of 429 American adults who expressed some level of atheism or agnosticism endorsed similar reasons. I

Do note that there is a difference from claiming a positive belief in a nonfalsifiable statement for emotional reasons and claiming a negative belief in a nonfalsifiable statement for emotional reasons. Also, disbelief can encompass both a negative statement about belief or a simple lack of belief.

Whether or not the person has emotional feelings regarding their stance has nothing to do with the utter lack of evidence for this particular nonfalsifiable belief. Worrying about whether or not people have emotional feelings about not believing in leprechauns seems incredibly weird. It seems like some red herring to hint at "hey! we're all the same!". It reeks of "atheism is a religion, too!".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post