I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry
I make great money.

My benefits are amazing.

My family is comfortable. And I owe it all to religion. I'm not leaving the ministry for the foreseeable future. My family's financial well being depends on it. And I'm not going to make them suffer financially because of a personal decision I've made about my beliefs. It's status quo...full steam ahead as far as anyone I work with and the rest of my family (besides my wife) knows.

I grew up in the church. My dad was a minister. And I'm in a facet of Christian ministry myself. But about 2 years ago I began looking at the scripture for the first time with critical eyes. This lead me to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...etc...

Anyway, I came out to my wife as an agnostic within the last few months and it's been tough on my marriage. I opened an anonymous Twitter account where I've vented my struggles with faith and religion recently. There's been a bit of mocking of my former faith on that account. And my wife says that it makes her feel ridiculed.

She came to me in tears last night saying she dreads being around me now because she feels like she can't be herself for fear that I'll mock her behind her back. That broke my heart. So I've decided to stop mocking Christians. Because I love her more than anything. I'll keep my venting and respectfully disagreeing with religion here. But there won't be any mocking. Because that creates a divide between my wife and I, regardless of whether or not she knows about it. I shut that twitter down this morning.

Walking the thin line and in the closet to the world,

OneDream
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onedream's post
27-02-2013, 11:55 AM
RE: I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry
(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  One Dream,
Are you preaching or teaching, or are you in simply some sort of administrative or support role in this ministry?
TJ
27-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Actually, Christian radio.

(27-02-2013 11:55 AM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  One Dream,
Are you preaching or teaching, or are you in simply some sort of administrative or support role in this ministry?
TJ
27-02-2013, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 04:47 PM by bemore.)
(27-02-2013 12:15 PM)onedream Wrote:  Actually, Christian radio.

I see.
My heart goes out to you. Been there, done that, though my situation was a bit different. I worked for a Christian organization a few years ago, during which time I actually stopped believing in Jesus Christ, became an Agnostic/Atheist and began steps to convert to Reform Judaism.( My husband and father are Jewish.) It wasn't that difficult at first, but it did become increasingly difficult, regardless of the financial issues. Our family needed the income. Oddly, my children and my husband were at the center of why I STAYED in that job, and why I LEFT that job. I stayed, as much as hated it, because I did not see any other financial option for us at the time. I finally decided that I could no longer continue to work there, no matter the financial issues because it was taking a toll on my relationships with my family. To put it simply, they lost respect for me, not completely, but they were disappointed in what they perceived as a lack of truthfulness on my part. They were right, no matter what my reasoning was at the time. To them, I was showing a lack of integrity---which was more important to them than any financial stability my job brought to the family.

I know this is a difficult thing for you, especially in today's economy, you want financial security for your family. My only advice from a woman's point of view---especially one that loves her husband very much---It is much more important for me as his wife that my husband be true-to-himself, than that he provide financial support. If my husband worked at a job he hated, and was completely against what he believed, and where he had to "pretend" to be someone that he isn't just to support me, this would hurt me tremendously. Human nature being what it is, I believe this would eventually produce some resentment in him. And, the last thing I would want to hear from him would be, "But I'm doing this for you." Who he is as a person is much more important to me than what he does for a living. I would venture to say that your wife probably feels the same way.

warmest regards,
TL
[+] 1 user Likes TJLuczynski's post
27-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Makes sense to me WetDream. Thumbsup Pragmatism is far more useful than either promoting or ridiculing any particular ideology. ... Kinda by definition. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-02-2013, 01:44 PM
(27-02-2013 01:29 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  actually stopped believing in Jesus Christ, became an Agnostic/Atheist and began steps to convert to Reform Judaism.

And how is that honest? I don't understand. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 01:49 PM
(27-02-2013 01:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 01:29 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  actually stopped believing in Jesus Christ, became an Agnostic/Atheist and began steps to convert to Reform Judaism.

Life choice made on basis of personal beliefs conflicting with previous job. Well played say I Smile
27-02-2013, 01:59 PM
(27-02-2013 01:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Reform Judaism, though it varies from synagogue to synagogue...is cultural...does not require a "belief" in a personal god.

27-02-2013, 02:08 PM
(27-02-2013 01:59 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 01:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  Reform Judaism, though it varies from synagogue to synagogue...is cultural...does not require a "belief" in a personal god.

Because the official stance is that there is one God Almighty/Creator, all-powerful, ever-present, and all knowing--formless, incorporeal spirit.

You are saying that non-believers are welcome?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 02:12 PM
(27-02-2013 02:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Because the official stance is that there is one God Almighty/Creator, all-powerful, ever-present, and all knowing--formless, incorporeal spirit.

You are saying that non-believers are welcome?
Yes. At least in my husbands synagogue.