I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry
(27-02-2013 02:12 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Because the official stance is that there is one God Almighty/Creator, all-powerful, ever-present, and all knowing--formless, incorporeal spirit.

You are saying that non-believers are welcome?
Yes. At least in my husbands synagogue.

Does attending require conversion?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2013, 03:25 PM
(27-02-2013 01:44 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 01:29 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  actually stopped believing in Jesus Christ, became an Agnostic/Atheist and began steps to convert to Reform Judaism.

And how is that honest? I don't understand. Consider

Honesty is seriously overrated. ... Drinking Beverage

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-02-2013, 03:28 PM
(27-02-2013 03:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:12 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  Yes. At least in my husbands synagogue.

Does attending require conversion?
No. I attend whenever and feel welcome. I don't want to jack Onedream's thread...Is there another forum perhaps we should discuss this?
[+] 2 users Like TJLuczynski's post
27-02-2013, 03:43 PM
(27-02-2013 03:28 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 03:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  Does attending require conversion?
No. I attend whenever and feel welcome. I don't want to jack Onedream's thread...Is there another forum perhaps we should discuss this?

Mods will split this off, I mean if they're any damn good at their job and shit.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
27-02-2013, 04:34 PM
(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  Walking the thin line and in the closet to the world, OneDream

I'm glad you are able to very comfortably support your family, OneDream. If you can pull it off without going bat-shit crazy well, it's more than anyone's ever even attempted to do for me - good on you. It's going to be tough to remain in the closet but at least you will be living to get your greatest needs met and keeping your self truthful to your personal life.

When things settle a bit, it might not be a bad idea to let your wife come to the forum and see the type of discussion that goes on here. Or not, up to you. We have a couple of theists here - Kingschosen and his wife are certainly forum regulars. A couple of atheist members have religious spouses who've peeked in now and then. Ha - I recall Birdguy's wife came on and flipped out a little, we talked to her a bit... and then she got her own account! She's kind of cool - she likes pit bulls. Big Grin

Venting doesn't necessarily have to be mocking, so at least you won't have to repress much... especially not here. I personally don't think it matters what anyone believes, as long as one conducts social and personal interaction from a reasonable and logical foundation. We're all just people - human beings - sometimes, all anyone can do is simply remind ourselves of that and continue to take care of each other.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
27-02-2013, 04:42 PM
(27-02-2013 03:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 03:28 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  No. I attend whenever and feel welcome. I don't want to jack Onedream's thread...Is there another forum perhaps we should discuss this?

Mods will split this off, I mean if they're any damn good at their job and shit.
Okay. I'm new to the forum and I didn't want to tread on the rules... Cool
27-02-2013, 04:53 PM
(27-02-2013 03:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mods will split this off, I mean if they're any damn good at their job and shit.
That's a big fucking "if" right there. Wink

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-02-2013, 05:12 PM
(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  I make great money.

My benefits are amazing.

My family is comfortable. And I owe it all to religion. I'm not leaving the ministry for the foreseeable future. My family's financial well being depends on it. And I'm not going to make them suffer financially because of a personal decision I've made about my beliefs. It's status quo...full steam ahead as far as anyone I work with and the rest of my family (besides my wife) knows.

I grew up in the church. My dad was a minister. And I'm in a facet of Christian ministry myself. But about 2 years ago I began looking at the scripture for the first time with critical eyes. This lead me to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...etc...

Anyway, I came out to my wife as an agnostic within the last few months and it's been tough on my marriage. I opened an anonymous Twitter account where I've vented my struggles with faith and religion recently. There's been a bit of mocking of my former faith on that account. And my wife says that it makes her feel ridiculed.

She came to me in tears last night saying she dreads being around me now because she feels like she can't be herself for fear that I'll mock her behind her back. That broke my heart. So I've decided to stop mocking Christians. Because I love her more than anything. I'll keep my venting and respectfully disagreeing with religion here. But there won't be any mocking. Because that creates a divide between my wife and I, regardless of whether or not she knows about it. I shut that twitter down this morning.

Walking the thin line and in the closet to the world,

OneDream

My parents were closet atheists all their lives - only came out in their death beds when refusing to see a priest.
They were fine with it, most people back then were in the closet.
Having a job in religion - it would drive me nuts, but as long as I wouldn't have to preach it might be ok.
Nah, I guess it would drive me nuts just to be around it all the time, come to think of it.
But if you can handle it.... you got to do what you got to do.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-02-2013, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 12:09 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Have you thought of joining the Clergy Project ? Dawkins started a group for people just like you. They are all either ex-ministry people, or still in, but non-believers.
You really want to live your one life living a lie ? Some day one of your kids is going to ask you about it. Is that what you want to teach them ? You can't lie forever.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2013, 12:01 AM
(27-02-2013 04:53 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 03:43 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Mods will split this off, I mean if they're any damn good at their job and shit.
That's a big fucking "if" right there. Wink

Buggered *if* I'm going to Tongue I'm still a baby mod. Relatively baby - before all you heathens get out your knives and give me an undeserved forking.