I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2013, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 06:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: I'm an agnostic. And I work in Christian Ministry
(27-02-2013 02:12 PM)TJLuczynski Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 02:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  Because the official stance is that there is one God Almighty/Creator, all-powerful, ever-present, and all knowing--formless, incorporeal spirit.

You are saying that non-believers are welcome?
Yes. At least in my husbands synagogue.

I work with quite a few atheist Jews. They're all scientists and engineers. Even looked into converting myself a decade or so ago just for the sense of community, tradition, and ritual. I mean hell, I've already been circumcised as a baby so it's not like I'd have to go through that shit as an adult. And I like their spunk. "The Jews would not die. Three millennia of prophetic teaching had given them an unwavering spirit of resignation and had created in them a will to live which no disaster could crush." - A History of the Jews, Abram L. Sachar... Opted out I guess because I felt I could never really be a full member of the club and my commitment issues wrt anything even remotely metaphysical. If my wife was a Jew though I'd've done it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I looked into a synagogue. Nineteen hundred bucks, they said. Later, I said. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-03-2013, 02:47 PM

(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  I make great money.

My benefits are amazing.

My family is comfortable. And I owe it all to religion. I'm not leaving the ministry for the foreseeable future. My family's financial well being depends on it. And I'm not going to make them suffer financially because of a personal decision I've made about my beliefs. It's status quo...full steam ahead as far as anyone I work with and the rest of my family (besides my wife) knows.

I grew up in the church. My dad was a minister. And I'm in a facet of Christian ministry myself. But about 2 years ago I began looking at the scripture for the first time with critical eyes. This lead me to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...etc...

Anyway, I came out to my wife as an agnostic within the last few months and it's been tough on my marriage. I opened an anonymous Twitter account where I've vented my struggles with faith and religion recently. There's been a bit of mocking of my former faith on that account. And my wife says that it makes her feel ridiculed.

She came to me in tears last night saying she dreads being around me now because she feels like she can't be herself for fear that I'll mock her behind her back. That broke my heart. So I've decided to stop mocking Christians. Because I love her more than anything. I'll keep my venting and respectfully disagreeing with religion here. But there won't be any mocking. Because that creates a divide between my wife and I, regardless of whether or not she knows about it. I shut that twitter down this morning.

Walking the thin line and in the closet to the world,

OneDream

Assuming you're even legit, which I doubt, but for the sake of argument: God will bring you down. You should be afraid. Jesus, in the Gospels, had extreme disrespect for your type. I feel very sorry for you, and honestly, I wouldn't want to be near you, because when the plane comes down, the car crashes, a freakin sink hole opens up, whatever...I wouldn't want to be within a mile of you.

If I were you, I'd be afraid. You better hope God doesn't exist.

Here's my prayer for you now: Father, if he is legit, please give him the time he needs to come around, and show him quickly with a near miss how dangerous the ground is he is walking on. But in all things, Father, your will be done.

Just my humble opinion. Blush
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Egor's post
03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Feel the love, OneDream, feel the love Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
04-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Kim!

(27-02-2013 04:34 PM)kim Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  Walking the thin line and in the closet to the world, OneDream

I'm glad you are able to very comfortably support your family, OneDream. If you can pull it off without going bat-shit crazy well, it's more than anyone's ever even attempted to do for me - good on you. It's going to be tough to remain in the closet but at least you will be living to get your greatest needs met and keeping your self truthful to your personal life.

When things settle a bit, it might not be a bad idea to let your wife come to the forum and see the type of discussion that goes on here. Or not, up to you. We have a couple of theists here - Kingschosen and his wife are certainly forum regulars. A couple of atheist members have religious spouses who've peeked in now and then. Ha - I recall Birdguy's wife came on and flipped out a little, we talked to her a bit... and then she got her own account! She's kind of cool - she likes pit bulls. Big Grin

Venting doesn't necessarily have to be mocking, so at least you won't have to repress much... especially not here. I personally don't think it matters what anyone believes, as long as one conducts social and personal interaction from a reasonable and logical foundation. We're all just people - human beings - sometimes, all anyone can do is simply remind ourselves of that and continue to take care of each other.
04-03-2013, 12:57 PM
(03-03-2013 02:47 PM)Egor Wrote:  Assuming you're even legit, which I doubt, but for the sake of argument: God will bring you down. You should be afraid. Jesus, in the Gospels, had extreme disrespect for your type. I feel very sorry for you, and honestly, I wouldn't want to be near you, because when the plane comes down, the car crashes, a freakin sink hole opens up, whatever...I wouldn't want to be within a mile of you.

Here's my prayer for you now: Father, if he is legit, please give him the time he needs to come around, and show him quickly with a near miss how dangerous the ground is he is walking on. But in all things, Father, your will be done.

It is this kind of post that made me fall in love with Egor long ago.

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 2 users Like frankiej's post
04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
This is hilarious.

"Hey! Come serve my unconditionally loving God!
Or else he'll murder you in cold blood."

Do you people even think about what you believe?

Of course not. I didn't think about this stuff when I was a believer. It's because I was brainwashed.

"God is love! God is merciful! God loves drowning innocent babies and killing people because they differ in philosophical opinion with him."

I murder someone because they disagree with me theologically, I'm a terrorist. God does it and 'his ways are higher than my ways?"

Your 'God' is a terrorist. Thankfully, he only exists in your head. Here's my "prayer' for you. Except, I'll be praying to Santa.

"Dear Santa, please visit my friend here and bestow upon them an understanding that life is so much more peaceful and enjoyable when you let go of your brainwashing that there's an angry, alcoholic, abusive father in the sky waiting for him to mess up. In Rudolph's name, Amen."

(03-03-2013 02:47 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 11:33 AM)onedream Wrote:  My benefits are amazing.

My family is comfortable. And I owe it all to religion. I'm not leaving the ministry for the foreseeable future. My family's financial well being depends on it. And I'm not going to make them suffer financially because of a personal decision I've made about my beliefs. It's status quo...full steam ahead as far as anyone I work with and the rest of my family (besides my wife) knows.

I grew up in the church. My dad was a minister. And I'm in a facet of Christian ministry myself. But about 2 years ago I began looking at the scripture for the first time with critical eyes. This lead me to Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris...etc...

Anyway, I came out to my wife as an agnostic within the last few months and it's been tough on my marriage. I opened an anonymous Twitter account where I've vented my struggles with faith and religion recently. There's been a bit of mocking of my former faith on that account. And my wife says that it makes her feel ridiculed.

She came to me in tears last night saying she dreads being around me now because she feels like she can't be herself for fear that I'll mock her behind her back. That broke my heart. So I've decided to stop mocking Christians. Because I love her more than anything. I'll keep my venting and respectfully disagreeing with religion here. But there won't be any mocking. Because that creates a divide between my wife and I, regardless of whether or not she knows about it. I shut that twitter down this morning.

OneDream

Assuming you're even legit, which I doubt, but for the sake of argument: God will bring you down. You should be afraid. Jesus, in the Gospels, had extreme disrespect for your type. I feel very sorry for you, and honestly, I wouldn't want to be near you, because when the plane comes down, the car crashes, a freakin sink hole opens up, whatever...I wouldn't want to be within a mile of you.

[+] 3 users Like onedream's post
04-03-2013, 01:03 PM
I looked into the clergy project. Maybe I'll look again.

As far as living a lie...meh. For now I'm ok. If something comes along that will afford me the ability to provide a more 'honest' living for my family in a manner that's fiscally equal, then sure I'll take it.

For now, one day at a time.
(27-02-2013 08:52 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Have you thought of joining the Clergy Project ? Dawkins started a group for people just like you. They are all either ex-ministry people, or still in, but non-believers.
You really want to live your one life living a lie ? Some day one of your kids is going to ask you about it. Is that what you want to teach them ? You can't lie forever.

My benefits are amazing.

OneDream

05-03-2013, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 03:41 PM by Bucky Ball.)

My benefits are amazing.

OneDream

What an idiotic thing to post. "near him" ??
This is like that idiot Robertson saying after 911 that it was god's wrath for the sin-du-jour. Probably abortion. Like only guilty people are punished. Egor never ceases to amaze me with his mean judgemental two-year-old religion. But thanks again Egor Don't change. You are the best advertisement for atheism I can think ot.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-03-2013, 03:02 PM
That's my thought.

The "righteous" and the "Heathen" both get wiped out on a regular basis. The heathen don't get wiped out any more often than the believers do and vice-versa. How can ANY among us claim God has anything to do with who gets wiped out?

It looks more like an indiscriminate, random pattern of "crap happens" rather than "God smote you because of such and such."

Ridiculous.

Life makes much more sense to me now that I don't believe there's an all powerful sky daddy with the power to control things.

If God does exist and bad things happen, he's either impotent and CAN'T prevent them. Or he can prevent them and doesn't, which makes him evil. That's a paraphrase from Christopher Hitchens.

(05-03-2013 01:42 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-03-2013 02:47 PM)Egor Wrote:  Assuming you're even legit, which I doubt, but for the sake of argument: God will bring you down. You should be afraid. Jesus, in the Gospels, had extreme disrespect for your type. I feel very sorry for you, and honestly, I wouldn't want to be near you, because when the plane comes down, the car crashes, a freakin sink hole opens up, whatever...I wouldn't want to be within a mile of you.

What an idiotic thing to post. "near him" ??
This is like that idiot Robertsin saying after 911 that it was god's wrath for the sin-du-jour. Probably abortion. Like only guilty people are punished. Egor never ceases to amaze me with his mean judgemental two-year-old religion. But thanks again Egor Don't change. You are the best advertisement for atheism I can think ot.
[+] 1 user Likes onedream's post