I'm at a loss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2016, 01:00 PM
RE: I'm at a loss
(28-06-2016 11:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Vos...I am going to shoot straight...please take it in the spirit it's offered.

First, the pictures are a little hard to judge. It may have been a less than full-blown attempt at suicide. Still, he needs help.

Second, and I have been through this with Mommy Dearest, one of the quickest ways to get out of psych ward when you have done something stupid is to scream abuse.

She was known for staging a 'suicide attempt', getting hauled to ER, then transferred to psych against her wishes. Once there she had to figure out a way out.

I am sorry if I am totally off base but when I read your post it was like a flashback for me. Mom didn't use knives though...usually pills, and a couple time rubbing alcohol and milk cocktails.

Whatever it turns out to be I am sorry your family has been stunned and rattled by this.

My apologies.. "stupid" was the wrong word...what I meant was impulsive and not well thought out. Truly that was bad a bad word choice. My mother used to be surprised and pissed off that ER doctors had no choice but to take her frequent suicidal actions as serious and follow protocol and send her to a psych hospital or ward.

I hope all turns out well.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
28-06-2016, 01:28 PM
So sorry Vosur, I agree tying him up and not visiting is probably not going to make your brother feel any better. I am also at a loss for how to handle such a situation though, but a heartfelt letter seems like a good idea. Perhaps use Google for writing suggestions you think seem relevant to your brother's particular situation?

Somewhere like here might be a good place to start, certainly better advice than I'm capable of giving at least. http://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicid...icidal.htm

Hope this helps. Don't give up. Hug

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like MustangManda's post
28-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Sad

Sorry, Vos. I wish that I could help.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
28-06-2016, 01:43 PM
(28-06-2016 01:28 PM)MustangManda Wrote:  So sorry Vosur, I agree tying him up and not visiting is probably not going to make your brother feel any better.

That's a call I wouldn't make. At this point he's in the shamans hands. Me? I'd go with their call. What are my other options?

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Sorry amigo Undecided That's really rough.

I suggest doing some reading on the internet. It's surprising the helpful resources that turn up if you type "I want to die" into google. A lot of positive stuff, and importantly, links to stuff that can help you to understand what people who are going through this kind of depression may be feeling.

Loneliness, hopelessness, feelings of being useless, of being undeserving of love and unworthy... those kind of things. No matter how outwardly fine their life may be, people may suffer from these feelings, feel trapped in a hopeless nightmare, and wish to end it.

One thing that's important to realise is that these feelings are genuine. People do actually feel that way and you can't reason them out of it. That's why as Girly said, it's important to trust the doctors. Often this stuff is not even a person's fault, it simply is that their brain chemicals are out of whack, in the same way that a diabetic's insulin is out of whack. Fortunately we have therapies that can help.

Sorry you're having to deal with this. Make sure that in the midst of it, you look after yourself. Stay well Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
28-06-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear this.

I don't have any good advice how to deal with this except I agree that getting him professional help is a must, beside you and your family being there for him.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 2 users Like Slowminded's post
28-06-2016, 03:07 PM
So sorry, Vosur. Hug

If I were to write a letter under these circumstances, I would make it short and simple. "I love you. I am here for you."

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
[+] 2 users Like TurkeyBurner's post
28-06-2016, 03:19 PM
So very sorry to hear this. I lost a brother to suicide several years back.

All suicides are cries for help. Some are just more final about it. Treat them all with the same seriousnesss.

Quote:My parents paid him a visit earlier today and were told that he's being mistreated by the staff there.

Take that with a large grain of salt.

Quote:The staff informed my parents that he will be kept there for the next three weeks at the very least.

That may be good. I've seen too many cases of people who needed serious treatment being released early because the docs were fools.

Quote:Anyway, after my mother told me about all this, I changed my plans and wanted to depart to Germany immediately, but then she informed me that my suicidal brother wanted her to tell me and my other brother that he doesn't want us to visit him.

Does he have any say? As I see it he's rather waived his rights to not have his family be concerned about him. If the docs think your presence might be counterproductive that's one thing but he just tried to kill himself. The least he can do is explain that to your face.

Quote:How can I help my dear brother?

Try and get him the professional help that he needs.
Let him know that you're there for him.
Try not to hurt yourself over this. You can't help him if you collapse yourself.

Take care of yourself and remember that you have friends who care.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
28-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Sorry you're having to go through this -- but --- I do have experience here and can say definitively that this was NOT a serious suicide attempt.

To be clinical --- there is simply not anywhere near enough blood.... I know it looks really bad -- but you're talking a minor injury.

That's good.... Be glad for it..... He's NOT serious about killing himself......

He is looking for attention -- and unless professionals help him -- he might escalate.....

So, while not imminent danger - it's still a dicey situation......

Good luck. I hope he gets the help he needs...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
28-06-2016, 04:42 PM
Your story gives me so much pain. I tried to carry my brother and all of his problems alcohol mostly, but other drugs and swallowing dozens of unknown pills. I had to finally realize he was not my responsibility and that there was nothing I could do to help. Maybe your situation is different, but maybe not also.
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post