I'm atheist from Greece.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm atheist from Greece.
Hello everyone, as i said in my title, i am atheist from Greece. Unfortunately, i leave in a conservative society, and the Christian Church has influence on many things. The Government pays priests, and the church hasn't tax liabilities. The racism toward atheism or different beliefs about the "god" is a common "practise".

For me now, i'm graduate student in sociology department in Greece and my dream is to study my post-graduate in Glasgow.

Nice to meet you. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2012, 10:42 AM
RE: I'm atheist from Greece.
Welcome!

Hope you enjoy your stay.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
20-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Hiya neighbour! Whereabouts in Greece are you from?

I'm from Bulgaria. Nice to meet you Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
20-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi Stixri! Too bad atheists have such a tough time in Greece ... considering it's ancient reputation of free thought. Tough times all around, I guess. There's usually a fun conversation going on here and I'm sure you'll find something of interest. We are a pretty easy going, international crowd and I'm glad you found us.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
20-12-2012, 11:14 AM
As Erxomai, I welcome your coming and going. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-12-2012, 12:35 PM
(20-12-2012 10:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome!

Hope you enjoy your stay.
Thanks you very much Smile

(20-12-2012 10:55 AM)Vera Wrote:  Hiya neighbour! Whereabouts in Greece are you from?

I'm from Bulgaria. Nice to meet you Smile
Hello neighboor, me too nice to meet you. Big Grin
I leave near in capital of Greece, 9km distance from Athens, Peiraius. Has Sofia cold? Here the temparture is very low.

(20-12-2012 11:03 AM)kim Wrote:  Hi Stixri! Too bad atheists have such a tough time in Greece ... considering it's ancient reputation of free thought. Tough times all around, I guess. There's usually a fun conversation going on here and I'm sure you'll find something of interest. We are a pretty easy going, international crowd and I'm glad you found us.

Welcome to the forum. Smile
Yes, unfortunately the conditions here about atheism and generally about minorities are very bad and the comparison with ancient greece is inevitable. We haven't any connection with ancient Greeks in mentality, this is truth.

(20-12-2012 11:14 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  As Erxomai, I welcome your coming and going. Thumbsup
I suppose that you are Greek, aren't you?
"Erxomai" is greek verb (έρχομαι) which means "come".

Nice to meet you all. Smile
20-12-2012, 12:38 PM
It's actually an English/Greek amalgam for Eric, Oh My!

I know, I know...

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
20-12-2012, 12:41 PM
(20-12-2012 12:35 PM)stixri Wrote:  Hello neighboor, me too nice to meet you. Big Grin

I leave near in capital of Greece, 9km distance from Athens, Peiraius. Has Sofia cold? Here the temparture is very low.

Cold-ish. Not too cold for what we're used to (-20C). About 0C now, which is pleasantly cool for us Cool
I had a Greek co-worker (but born and raised in Bulgaria). She was extremely religious (also, very dumb, but that had nothing to do with her being GreekWink)

(20-12-2012 12:38 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's actually an English/Greek amalgam for Eric, Oh My!
I know, I know...
Or he's just very much into coming Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
20-12-2012, 12:49 PM
(20-12-2012 12:35 PM)stixri Wrote:  
(20-12-2012 11:03 AM)kim Wrote:  As Erxomai, I welcome your coming and going. Thumbsup
I suppose that you are Greek, aren't you?
"Erxomai" is greek verb (έρχομαι) which means "come".
No, just a nickname I picked up years ago when I took a Koine Greek class. My professor taught us the liturgical pronounciation, which, as Kingsy pointed out, sounds a bit like "Eric" (my name) and "Oh my." I'm not sure if modern Greek has the same pronunciation. Smile

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
20-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  How a Jehovah's Witness (me) became an atheist (also me) Northern Skeptic 1 89 15-08-2014 04:34 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Atheist from West Virginia calvinhebb 10 108 11-08-2014 01:56 PM
Last Post: Quantum1Connect
Lightbulb A Spiritual Atheist Looking For Philosophers thespiritualanarchist 28 470 04-08-2014 04:48 AM
Last Post: premprakash pandey
  Hi, i'm an Indian Atheist IndianAtheist 15 708 30-07-2014 08:19 AM
Last Post: mighy
  I have been atheist for about a year. Here is my story. Adam9812 6 97 27-07-2014 08:53 AM
Last Post: Adrianime
  Coming out of the atheist closet Wheelbkb 6 91 22-07-2014 01:53 PM
Last Post: goodwithoutgod
Rainbow Hello ,I don't know I am a atheist or not... Snowflake 22 538 21-07-2014 04:57 PM
Last Post: Adrianime