I'm back!!!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2010, 05:03 PM
RE: I'm back!!!!!!!
Well, my basic training is actually complete (I did all the exams) and I just need to pass my invocation, which will take place in this Sunday.

And what you asked is a spesific question. It is very different between "tell me about different religious faiths in the army" them what you asked.
We have a document which is called "Ruah Tzahal" (spirit of IDF) and there is 3 basic values, which from them there is a lot of other values. Generaly those values are taken from 4 sources:
The legacy of state of Israel and its wars.
The legacy of the democracy.
The legacy of the Jewish history
The legacy of human rights acording the international law.

I guess you can get a spiritual couseling if you're not Jewish, because there is special unites (combat) for Druze and Bedouins who draft to the IDF and I guess religious counseling is part of it (though I didn't searched about it, but if it is important for you I can do it).
By the way- in Israel we have HUGE appritiation for Druze and Bedouins who decide to enlist, because they don't have to do so by law (unlike Jewish people) and they enlist to the most combat unites that exist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 05:47 PM

(03-09-2010 05:03 PM)shiranl Wrote:  Well, my basic training is actually complete (I did all the exams) and I just need to pass my invocation, which will take place in this Sunday.

And what you asked is a spesific question. It is very different between "tell me about different religious faiths in the army" them what you asked.
We have a document which is called "Ruah Tzahal" (spirit of IDF) and there is 3 basic values, which from them there is a lot of other values. Generaly those values are taken from 4 sources:
The legacy of state of Israel and its wars.
The legacy of the democracy.
The legacy of the Jewish history
The legacy of human rights acording the international law.

I guess you can get a spiritual couseling if you're not Jewish, because there is special unites (combat) for Druze and Bedouins who draft to the IDF and I guess religious counseling is part of it (though I didn't searched about it, but if it is important for you I can do it).
By the way- in Israel we have HUGE appritiation for Druze and Bedouins who decide to enlist, because they don't have to do so by law (unlike Jewish people) and they enlist to the most combat unites that exist.

Perhaps I was unclear when I was talking about specifics versus generalities. What i meant by that was that I didn't want to know where a unit was going, what a troop strength was or how individual leaders dealt with specific soldier problems. I was looking for generalities in the sense of dealing with a whole army concept as opposed to specific incidents or facts that you are not supposed to disclose. I would never ask you to give me information that would compromise your morals, your unit or your beliefs. Nor would I want to ask you anything that would put someone at risk.

Questions like 'why are you fighting here or here" only serve to risk your career over something that is not my business. Hopefully I am a little clearer on that now.

so in our Armed Forces, we are open to all faiths. Recently (within 5 years) the Army approved Wiccan chaplains. Wicca is not what I would consider a mainstream religion or belief system, simply because it pales in comparison to the numbers put up by the big three monotheistic religions. But they are a vocal minority and protected under our laws to have freedom of religion. So they now have spiritual counselors to speak on their behalf.

I am trying to make the same thing happen for Atheists. You see, the chaplain holds a special role in the military, that is set aside from counselor or mental health professional, and their word carries a lot of weight. Unfortunately, they give that weight to the faithful and there is no one in the chaplains corps to represent non-believers.

I'm seeing, though that your units are separated by culture and ethnicity, but seem to be united in a common goal. Do you think that this provides solidarity between members of the same unit?

We don't have that here, and instead each unit is a large melting pot. You get stationed wherever you get stationed, regardless of belief, nationality (we do have non-americans serving), or citizenship. It works okay, but we are experiencing some problems with modern culture invading our structure.
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Quote:Perhaps I was unclear when I was talking about specifics versus generalities. What i meant by that was that I didn't want to know where a unit was going, what a troop strength was or how individual leaders dealt with specific soldier problems. I was looking for generalities in the sense of dealing with a whole army concept as opposed to specific incidents or facts that you are not supposed to disclose. I would never ask you to give me information that would compromise your morals, your unit or your beliefs. Nor would I want to ask you anything that would put someone at risk
Questions like 'why are you fighting here or here" only serve to risk your career over something that is not my business. Hopefully I am a little clearer on that now.

Well, I have no idea, yet, about those specifics- so if you ask about them I can't answer you anyway.....And yes- you're much clearer Smile

Quote:so in our Armed Forces, we are open to all faiths. Recently (within 5 years) the Army approved Wiccan chaplains. Wicca is not what I would consider a mainstream religion or belief system, simply because it pales in comparison to the numbers put up by the big three monotheistic religions. But they are a vocal minority and protected under our laws to have freedom of religion. So they now have spiritual counselors to speak on their behalf.

I think the IDF is not so open. After all, we are fighting against Muslims and Islamic ideology....BUT if, from some reason, a Muslim come to the IDF and say "I want to enlist" he probably be used as a spy. He won't get any critical information (from the simple reason he can be a double spy), but he will give us information. And yes- we already had a case like this (though he moved to the USA and became Christian)

Quote:I am trying to make the same thing happen for Atheists. You see, the chaplain holds a special role in the military, that is set aside from counselor or mental health professional, and their word carries a lot of weight. Unfortunately, they give that weight to the faithful and there is no one in the chaplains corps to represent non-believers.

In the IDF spiritual counselors are staying in their field- religion. They have no word about operations and stuff like that. Only to take care about specific religious needs of soldiers (like keeping Kosher, not to desecrate the Shabbat, prayers etc, etc)

Quote:I'm seeing, though that your units are separated by culture and ethnicity, but seem to be united in a common goal. Do you think that this provides solidarity between members of the same unit?

Our units are not separated by culture and ethnicity. The fact that there is a special combat units for Druzes and Bedouins doesn't mean they HAVE to join those units- it is just more comforteble for them. But if they want and their physical and mental conditions allow it- they can defenatly be whatever combat unit they want to be in. Those units, actually, were made after talking with the heads of those communities and it was driven by them.

Quote:We don't have that here, and instead each unit is a large melting pot. You get stationed wherever you get stationed, regardless of belief, nationality (we do have non-americans serving), or citizenship. It works okay, but we are experiencing some problems with modern culture invading our structure.

The whole IDF is a large melting pot. I actually sit in the train from/to the base and some other soldiers sit with me and we start talking like brothers just becuse we all wear uniforms. I actually know people who live in the West Bank and around Gaza Strip- people I only met before through the television or the news paper.......The IDF and the USA army has essential difference- the IDF is a military of the nation, the USA army is a proffesional army.
You are a military man- this is your job, this is what you did in your life. I am just an 18 years old girl who fulfill her duty to the law and serve for 2 years in the IDF- then I do whatever I want to do with my life. It wasn't a choice, since I was 6 years old I knew this day, when I serve my country, will come- if I like it or not. For you it was a choice, something you wanted to do and then you did it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply