I'm bored so.....BACON THREAD!!!!!!!!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2014, 05:30 PM
RE: I'm bored so.....BACON THREAD!!!!!!!!!
(18-11-2014 05:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I recommend the oven method. It keeps the mess to a minimum, and allows for better control over crispness. That said, you will still have to make it a couple times to get a feel for what works for you. Here's the basics:

I never heard of anybody cooking bacon that way. All I can think of is the Third Rock From the Sun episode with Dick asking "Why do they call it bacon? You don't bake it, you fry it. Why the devil can't they call it fryon?"

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2014, 05:35 PM
(18-11-2014 05:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:03 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I recommend the oven method. It keeps the mess to a minimum, and allows for better control over crispness. That said, you will still have to make it a couple times to get a feel for what works for you. Here's the basics:

Preheat oven to 425F

Place a wire rack on a cookie sheet, and spread bacon in a single layer on top. Bake for seven minutes then flip, and return to oven for another five to seven minutes.

The key is to take the bacon out just before it's cooked to your preference. That's because the bacon is still cooking when you remove it, and it's so thin that the cooking is significant. That goes for in the pan as well, but to a lesser degree because in a pan you are likely removing it to a cold plate when you take it out. In the oven, it stays on the hot rack to finish cooking and to drip.

Can you recommend a bacon brand or what to buy? I look at the options at the store and get overwhelmed. I don't know the differences.

The truth is, I rarely buy bacon because I make my own. But if you've got a Costco card, get their alder smoked bacon. It's quite good for grocery store bacon. Otherwise, visit you're local butcher. (Get them to slice it regular, not thick cut.)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
18-11-2014, 07:12 PM
(18-11-2014 05:35 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Can you recommend a bacon brand or what to buy? I look at the options at the store and get overwhelmed. I don't know the differences.

The truth is, I rarely buy bacon because I make my own.

Damn it. I knew you were going to say that. K, Ill just work my way through a bunch and figure it out. Ha ha.
18-11-2014, 07:33 PM
(18-11-2014 05:35 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:23 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Can you recommend a bacon brand or what to buy? I look at the options at the store and get overwhelmed. I don't know the differences.

The truth is, I rarely buy bacon because I make my own. But if you've got a Costco card, get their alder smoked bacon. It's quite good for grocery store bacon. Otherwise, visit you're local butcher. (Get them to slice it regular, not thick cut.)

But I love thick cut. Of course I've never gotten any straight from the butcher before, just from the meat counter at Dillon's. Not sure how that would compare, i suppose it would depend on the butcher.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-11-2014, 07:46 PM
(18-11-2014 07:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 05:35 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The truth is, I rarely buy bacon because I make my own. But if you've got a Costco card, get their alder smoked bacon. It's quite good for grocery store bacon. Otherwise, visit you're local butcher. (Get them to slice it regular, not thick cut.)

But I love thick cut. Of course I've never gotten any straight from the butcher before, just from the meat counter at Dillon's. Not sure how that would compare, i suppose it would depend on the butcher.

Good point. I find my butchers version of thick is just way too...thick.

Wait...did this thread just get naughty?

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
18-11-2014, 07:51 PM

Preheat oven to 425F

Place a wire rack on a cookie sheet, and spread bacon in a single layer on top. Bake for seven minutes then flip, and return to oven for another five to seven minutes.

The key is to take the bacon out just before it's cooked to your preference. That's because the bacon is still cooking when you remove it, and it's so thin that the cooking is significant. That goes for in the pan as well, but to a lesser degree because in a pan you are likely removing it to a cold plate when you take it out. In the oven, it stays on the hot rack to finish cooking and to drip.

With mine I just put foil over a cookie sheet (making sure there's no chance for the grease to drain onto the cookie sheet), bake for about 20 minutes, no flipping. Comes out flat and as crispy as I want. I move it straight from the cookie sheet to a plate with paper towels to soak up any extra grease. Then when the grease has cooled, I just have to wad up the foil. Clean up done! Cool

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
18-11-2014, 10:18 PM
(18-11-2014 07:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 07:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  But I love thick cut. Of course I've never gotten any straight from the butcher before, just from the meat counter at Dillon's. Not sure how that would compare, i suppose it would depend on the butcher.

Good point. I find my butchers version of thick is just way too...thick.

Oh, I thought when you said you made your own bacon that you had pigs and slaughtered them and did the whole pig farmer thing.

That reminds me, I took a drawing class once and the class all went out to a pig farm to draw the pigs. It was the worst smell. I thought I'd die. My eyes were so watery from the smell of the pigs that I couldn't see what I was drawing and the pigs ended up looking like some sort of weird desert cactus. ?????

Thick bacon, huh? Sounds yummy.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-11-2014, 12:18 AM

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
23-11-2014, 03:44 PM
(18-11-2014 10:18 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(18-11-2014 07:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Good point. I find my butchers version of thick is just way too...thick.

Oh, I thought when you said you made your own bacon that you had pigs and slaughtered them and did the whole pig farmer thing.

That reminds me, I took a drawing class once and the class all went out to a pig farm to draw the pigs. It was the worst smell. I thought I'd die. My eyes were so watery from the smell of the pigs that I couldn't see what I was drawing and the pigs ended up looking like some sort of weird desert cactus. ?????

Thick bacon, huh? Sounds yummy.
I did raise my own pigs. I've either raised them, or bought them from a farmer I know and trust, and slaughtered them myself. Once I get out to the coast, I'm planning on building a curing shack so I can do ham too.

Pigs smell awful in big groups. Two or three don't smell like much at all though.