I'm considering joinning the ACLU.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm considering joinning the ACLU.
An issue that bothers me just came up in conversation and I feel like I might need to press this issue beyond the state level. In the state of Louisiana (and probably most states) in order for a father of a school age child to get primary custody he must first prove the mother to be unfit. I find this absurd. It's hands down disrimination against men and shouldn't be tolerated. Imagine the response from women/mothers if they had to discredit the father first before even being considered for custody. It's bullshit.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
09-05-2012, 01:00 PM
RE: I'm considering joinning the ACLU.
Interesting and I agree.

My state is a joint custody state and I believe here, either one or the other parent can have the other declared "unfit" ... and it takes opinion of authorities; psych evaluations, health dept. inspections, etc.,. In the case of the unfit parent, primary custody takes over and visitation rights are wrangled over in court.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Interesting. The Peoples Republic of Maryland (that's what Virginians call us Wink ) is apparently neither a joint custody nor a maternal custody presumption state.

"Maryland law no longer allows family law judges to presume the Mother should get Custody instead of the Father, and the child support laws apply to Mothers as well as to Fathers. ... There is NO presumption of JOINT Custody in Maryland. ... The relevant case law in Maryland holds that 'there is no such thing as a simple custody case,' that 'custody cases are like fingerprints because no two are exactly the same,' and 'that there is no litmus test that provides a quick and easy answer to custody matters.' "

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
09-05-2012, 03:15 PM
(09-05-2012 02:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Interesting. The Peoples Republic of Maryland (that's what Virginians call us Wink ) is apparently neither a joint custody nor a maternal custody presumption state.

"Maryland law no longer allows family law judges to presume the Mother should get Custody instead of the Father, and the child support laws apply to Mothers as well as to Fathers. ... There is NO presumption of JOINT Custody in Maryland. ... The relevant case law in Maryland holds that 'there is no such thing as a simple custody case,' that 'custody cases are like fingerprints because no two are exactly the same,' and 'that there is no litmus test that provides a quick and easy answer to custody matters.' "
Hmm... sounds like they are saying, "Joint custody is just the middle man and we are simply going to cut to the chase on this".

I wonder what the stats are on this kind of action apposed to the activity of joint custody or maternal presumptive custody states?

It's possible stats would be no litmus test, either. Custody is a touchy subject. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-05-2012, 03:24 PM
My favorite band's (Blue October) new CD is pretty much all about the lead singer having his daughter kept from him through custody.

One of the lines in one of the songs is "Legally they took her from me, legally they did, they did."

He is now very outspoken on the laws regarding custody here in the states and is meeting with legislators regularly. CD is "Any Man in America" as in it can happen to any man in America.

Pretty deep and hurtful stuff in some of the lyrics.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
09-05-2012, 07:41 PM
I'd like to get involved with the ACLU as well.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade