I'm delighted to say...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 04:29 AM
RE: I'm delighted to say...
So what's involved with "officially" leaving the church? Are they really nasty about it? Did they do an exit interview? Was there any spanking involved? C'mon, give us some details!

Congrats on being a free person. Now where's your offering to TTA? I could go for some baby.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
08-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Yeah I'm curious too as to what it means to leave the LDS church. Leaving Christianity doesn't really have such big meaning as churches are open (usually) to everyone but to my understanding you have to have some kind of membership to be in the LDS church right?
08-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Yes, yes, we want details. Did they beat you on your way out, did they throw you out, have they begged you to stay, did they quote the Bible and threaten you with eternal damnation? WHAT?!?

Smile

Congats on your new legal status, freedom of religion.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
08-06-2012, 05:25 AM
Glad to hear your ball and chain has come off. It is great to see someone who is free.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
09-06-2012, 09:27 PM
(08-06-2012 04:29 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  So what's involved with "officially" leaving the church? Are they really nasty about it? Did they do an exit interview? Was there any spanking involved? C'mon, give us some details!

Congrats on being a free person. Now where's your offering to TTA? I could go for some baby.
Wow, a spanking...that definitely would have been something Smile You have to write an official letter stating that you want to resign and have your name removed from their records. (I don't buy that you're removed completely of course, because if for some stupid reason you decide to rejoin the church, you aren't allowed to hold any callings higher than being a Bishop anymore. But seeing as I'm a female, that wouldn't matter anyways. But even knowing that, it does offer some closure in the matter.)

After you send in your letter, you get a letter stating that it's a "local matter" and that you'll be contacted by your Bishop. Only with mine they had the wrong guy listed so I called Membership Records to get things moving myself. Each case is different. Apparently, it can be much more of a headache if you're still in a ward where you used to be active or where your family attends church, but seeing how I was listed in a Single's Ward after being married for 4 years, guess it was easier for me.

Spoke to the Bishop on the phone, more out of respect for him being a brand new Bishop and wanting him to witness that not everyone who chooses to leave the church is some angry crazy person. After that, the Bishop is supposed to send on the paperwork to your Stake leaders who must then sign and pass it along to church headquarters. They require a 30 waiting period before they take any action...I guess they still have some shred of hope that if they make you wait a little longer that you might change your mind.

I received my letter confirming that my name had been removed about a week after my 30 days were up. I was lucky because I didn't experience any "love-bombing" or visits from people in the ward, and the fact that my grandfather is a serving Apostle in the church was either not brought to their attention, or was of no consequence. So happy that! Big Grin

Now I get to look forward to awkward conversations with family members for the next while during family gatherings.

As for exit interviews, the phone call with the Bishop counted as that. But the scary disciplinary counsels are reserved for members who are on the chopping block to be excommunicated for spreading "anti-mormon" literature, or sharing "negative information" (in other words, truthful information) about the church.
[+] 2 users Like BKNexus's post
10-06-2012, 10:49 AM
(07-06-2012 03:15 PM)BKNexus Wrote:  That I am no longer a member of the LDS church as of about 5 minutes ago! And I'm extremely happy about it Big Grin

I've got the want ad copy right here for you

YOUR OWN PLANET. Reserved but never used. Accommodates 130,000,000,000 Spirit wives and children. Walking distance to Kolob. Good schools. Quiet neighborhood of the galaxy. If interested, contact BKNexus@thethingkingatheist.com. Must have Temple papers signed by LDS president Gordon Hinckley.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
11-06-2012, 05:34 AM
I am constantly seeing this as "a member of the LSD church" and I wonder why would anyone stop being their member? Stupid LDS...

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 3 users Like Filox's post
11-06-2012, 09:14 PM
(11-06-2012 05:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  I am constantly seeing this as "a member of the LSD church" and I wonder why would anyone stop being their member? Stupid LDS...

Big Grin
The only church where you would actually SEE the image of god.

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post
11-06-2012, 09:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012 09:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-06-2012 09:14 PM)itsacow Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 05:34 AM)Filox Wrote:  I am constantly seeing this as "a member of the LSD church" and I wonder why would anyone stop being their member? Stupid LDS...

Big Grin
The only church where you would actually SEE the image of god.

Been there, done that, still got the t-shirt, wear it as needed. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.