I'm done

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 03:34 PM
RE: I'm done
(06-12-2012 01:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Please do!!! Just cause I am a tad curious. :-)
Well... I mean... I don't know.

It's hard to explain.

It's not your fault... in fact, it's no one's fault, but I have my frustrations when people teetering on Christianity / atheism listen to douchey goobers like Hovind, Ham, Cameron, WLC, Hinn, etc.

There are so many more well qualified, honest, and lucid Christian authorities other than the ones always hogging the spot light. Unfortunately, they make the most noise and get the most exposure; thus, not representing the whole of Christianity.

For one, YEC is laughable... just silly... and more and more Christians are realizing this. This is why ECs and TEs are becoming so popular; likewise, there is a more understanding that evolution isn't in direct opposition to Christian beliefs.

There are many reformed theologians that can debate without yelling and convoluting the argument to a point you have no idea what they are saying. Their arguments are concise and lucid and they don't shy away from answers.

It's just kind of annoying that people always go to the same loonies and say, "See, these guys are why I'm not a Christian."

If you want to take a look at how evolution and Christianity is reconciled take a look at Biologos.

Some contemporary theologians to check out:

Charles Spurgeon
John F. MacArthur
Wayne Grudem
John Piper

Thank you for your thoughts. I had a super long reply all written up and my iPad crashed and I lost it. :-( Even growing up tho I never bought into the whole YEC claptrap. When I did believe, I just assumed that one of our simple 24 hour periods couldn't apply. I never believed in the idea of the genesis tale but really did see it more as mythology. A people trying to explain their creation and ways to please god. I never believed that god whispered the stories into anyone's ear. What I understood at the time was that the first five books, commonly called the books of law, were written by Moses. Later I found out that wasn't true (I also still remember every single book in the bible since I was forced to memorize them all in the 2nd grade) .

I began reading about other religions. We had good friends who were Jewish and I found the rituals fascinating. I also liked some of the versions of common stories like Abraham and Issac when told with the Jewish slant. I also learned why the Jews hadn't accepted Christ the way Christians had.

That was where precisely the onion began to unravel. My dad was raised Cathoic but knew nothing of Catholicism from what I could discern, he died when I was 13 (loooong time ago now). I was raised in a hodgepodge of religions but I do know both my parents deeply believed in god and I know I wanted to please them. I was always kinda critical in my thinking. When I was in kindergarten or first grade for Easter the class was supposed to color a cross to be put on the wall for parents to see. I colored mine black because I explained later when asked, it had to be old wood. Other clasmates colored theirs pink and springtime colors. I did color the lily a lovely lavender but...Needless to say the school felt I needed a shrink, and my cross did not make the wall.

The new testament was rife with supernatural (I did actually read Thomas Jefferson's version and found it much more coesive). I couldn't understand ministers and Priests going on rather endlessly about the apostle,Paul. I couldn't reconcile any longer or rationalize how any of it could be true. Sure parts could have been...but much seemed to be just out there. I've never heard anyone credibly explain the whole Jesus and the olive tree...either as literal or as an allegory for something else.

Eventually the onion fell apart. Lately, I guess I have been concerned that I have influenced my oldest son to atheism and that's partly why I guess I've been questioning things. Or were rather.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 03:40 PM
(06-12-2012 02:02 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Um, gang, this is not the "Discuss pros and cons of sports" thread. Take that somewhere else so we can get back to the proper purpose of this thread, bashing Egor.
Where's the sport in that? Consider

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
06-12-2012, 03:44 PM
(06-12-2012 03:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  KC
The Saints are almost the most pathetic team in NFL history. If not for the last couple of years, I would say the worst. Second only perhaps to the Jaguars...maybe.
Aye, yep.

Still.

There's something lovable about them.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
06-12-2012, 03:57 PM
(06-12-2012 03:01 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Momsurroundedbyboys, I sincerely apologize for bringing up football.

But seriously - the Niners over the Steelers? I just had to say something.

Oh puleeeze the Niners rule and steelers drool.

Nuff said ;-)
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
American football sucks regardless of who plays.

Armour wearing pussies.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Awwe free thought....don't hold back....lol

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-12-2012, 04:18 PM
(06-12-2012 03:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 03:33 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  KC
The Saints are almost the most pathetic team in NFL history. If not for the last couple of years, I would say the worst. Second only perhaps to the Jaguars...maybe.
Aye, yep.

Still.

There's something lovable about them.

Didn't the Saints win the worlds series a few years back? I seem to recall the beer and food....we did a New Orleans themed food. and for some odd reason The Who. Not sure how any of that ties in and probably doesn't. :-)
06-12-2012, 04:29 PM
(06-12-2012 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Awwe free thought....don't hold back....lol
Real men play Rugby.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Oh yes, Rugby can be quite brutal, an there's no pussy arse armour on the field either..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
06-12-2012, 04:47 PM
(06-12-2012 04:06 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  American football sucks regardless of who plays.

Armour wearing pussies.
You think the little bit of padding they wear is going to help from the guys in the nfl even college? If anything the only person the armor helps is the guy who is about to lay you out. I've heard the helmet may cause more injuries because guys think they are protected so they are more careless.

I assure you a helmet to the ribs will hurt more than a head to the ribs.

But your probably right...

Justin