I'm done

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2012, 01:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 01:17 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
RE: I'm done
(06-12-2012 11:50 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 01:05 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Recently I've been kinda questioning my atheism, I'll call an introspection reevaluation. Yanno? Am I crazy to deny the existence of god. So, I'm looking at random crap on YouTube. Actually mostly Christian crap...when I come across eric hovid, talking to atheists trying to trick them.

Somehow I ended up watch 8 parts of the MSS, with DPR Jones, thunderf00t, AronRa, Eric Hovid and Sye something or other and a bunch of other people. I remembered Sye from TTA podcast many months ago saying that everyone knows god exists and if you did and don't know...you just didn't do it right the first time and you essentially always an unbeliever, because god has revealed himself through what he termed a "revelation" and never thoroughly explained where it came from. On the MSS, he refused to discuss the bible, what he claimed was god's word, with unbelievers. Yet at the end tried to preach, which was thankfully blocked out.

So, here I am on the fence again for a moment and driven right back over by the overall tenor of the arguments leveled by those two Christians. Never in my life had I heard a more specious argument for an alleged "proof" for the existence of god. At the end Ken Hovid, seemed to pussyfoot passed the bible as his reason for his proof and focused more heavily on logic and the "perfection" of nature, which is hardly really perfect.

So like a rubber band stretched pretty thin, I bounced back to atheism. It was really a lousy debate with far too much shouting and sometimes screaming and peppered with just as silly rationale on both sides. It did solidify why I am atheist....because their arguments for god, didn't make any sense and I found them both to be incredibly arrogant in their claims. Any chance they got, they twisted words and made snarky remarks like Sye repeatedly saying, "I'm done with you." as though he won a point or the whole argument.

The one thing I've never really done was thoroughly come out to my family, because I never see them, except for weddings and funerals if they think to include me and live in a different state.

Tonight I did just that. I highly doubt I'll hear from any of them ever again.

Honestly, no one gives a damn if you're an atheist or not. We're entering a time when no one knows anything for sure anymore. And there will come a time when you've smoked enough weed, played enough X-box, made fun of enough religious people, and generally under-achieved in life when you will ask yourself if there is anything more. In that day, you will have to find God on your own and quit expecting to follow someone else, be they a YouTube preacher or your mom and dad.

Atheism is the ultimate ignorance, because once you claim there is no God, then you automatically lay claim to the idea that there is no truth. And after that, there is only hedonism, nihilism and random bumperstickers of belief.

While I cannot speak to the ages of the people who posted anymore than I could speak to your age, I will freely admit I have not smoked any pot since probably around the time my first kid was little (it was a grateful dead concert -- so when in Rome...) I don't own an Xbox and I refer to the ps3 as the NetFlix machine.

Now, having said all that I have actually read the bible and know my way pretty well around it. I do believe there is a truth...god, as laid out in the bible, simply put cannot exist. Now if you're going to whine and complain that space aliens did it all...whatever floats your boat.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-12-2012, 01:19 PM
(06-12-2012 12:55 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 12:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Well, technically, he found god AGAIN last week. Next week there be some new bullshit and he'll spout off about stupid we are for not believing that fucked up belief either. Drinking Beverage
Well, technically, he didn't find anything at all. He just convinced himself because he's too scared to look reality in the eye so he ran back to his comfortable delusions. If he were a dog, he'd have rolled over and exposed his belly to his sky daddy concept. As a man, he probably made less of a show of it but clearly he feels like he failed, like he is less of a man for running back to hide, child-like, behind God's skirts, so he comes in here to insult the only people he still marginally feels superior too as a lame way to try to reestablish some semblance of his lost masculinity.

It didn't work, of course, because deep down he knows he's a fool for choosing delusion over reality, but he can't help himself so he buries his head in the sand and insults the only people who might really want to help him, all for nothing. And he knows it, which only reinforces his justly-deserved inferiority complex.

He'd find life so much easier and so much more meaningful if he would just face reality like a real man. Then he would have no more inferiority complex, then he could feel like a man, and then he could embrace the people who actually might want to help him. He knows this too, on some level, but it scares him too much, and unmans him too much, and he can't face it. So he lashes out.

It's all very sad.
Sad? Egor's reconversion of finding...whatever...is no surprise. I expected that much. The trolling of just showing up and insulting is the same old asshole that first came here...and never actually left. He just went through a period of not saying anything openly assholish for a short period.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM
(06-12-2012 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 09:44 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, I was going to make a legitimate response to this, but I see this topic has been Forum Team'd.

Please do!!! Just cause I am a tad curious. :-)
Well... I mean... I don't know.

It's hard to explain.

It's not your fault... in fact, it's no one's fault, but I have my frustrations when people teetering on Christianity / atheism listen to douchey goobers like Hovind, Ham, Cameron, WLC, Hinn, etc.

There are so many more well qualified, honest, and lucid Christian authorities other than the ones always hogging the spot light. Unfortunately, they make the most noise and get the most exposure; thus, not representing the whole of Christianity.

For one, YEC is laughable... just silly... and more and more Christians are realizing this. This is why ECs and TEs are becoming so popular; likewise, there is a more understanding that evolution isn't in direct opposition to Christian beliefs.

There are many reformed theologians that can debate without yelling and convoluting the argument to a point you have no idea what they are saying. Their arguments are concise and lucid and they don't shy away from answers.

It's just kind of annoying that people always go to the same loonies and say, "See, these guys are why I'm not a Christian."

If you want to take a look at how evolution and Christianity is reconciled take a look at Biologos.

Some contemporary theologians to check out:

Charles Spurgeon
John F. MacArthur
Wayne Grudem
John Piper

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
06-12-2012, 01:37 PM
(06-12-2012 11:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 10:04 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  American sports are boring as fucking shit.
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

But he's right. The money has completely fucked up the sports by changing the rules, by changing how the games are played, by taking any sense of sportsmanship or loyalty out of sport.

And college sport has taken the same route.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
(06-12-2012 01:21 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 12:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Please do!!! Just cause I am a tad curious. :-)
Well... I mean... I don't know.

It's hard to explain.

It's not your fault... in fact, it's no one's fault, but I have my frustrations when people teetering on Christianity / atheism listen to douchey goobers like Hovind, Ham, Cameron, WLC, Hinn, etc.

There are so many more well qualified, honest, and lucid Christian authorities other than the ones always hogging the spot light. Unfortunately, they make the most noise and get the most exposure; thus, not representing the whole of Christianity.

For one, YEC is laughable... just silly... and more and more Christians are realizing this. This is why ECs and TEs are becoming so popular; likewise, there is a more understanding that evolution isn't in direct opposition to Christian beliefs.

There are many reformed theologians that can debate without yelling and convoluting the argument to a point you have no idea what they are saying. Their arguments are concise and lucid and they don't shy away from answers.

It's just kind of annoying that people always go to the same loonies and say, "See, these guys are why I'm not a Christian."

If you want to take a look at how evolution and Christianity is reconciled take a look at Biologos.

Some contemporary theologians to check out:

Charles Spurgeon
John F. MacArthur
Wayne Grudem
John Piper
MacArthur's a quack too, but the other 3 are top notch. I'd even add Clark Pinnock if you want to get a "no Hell" viewpoint.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-12-2012, 01:39 PM
(06-12-2012 11:50 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 01:05 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Recently I've been kinda questioning my atheism, I'll call an introspection reevaluation. Yanno? Am I crazy to deny the existence of god. So, I'm looking at random crap on YouTube. Actually mostly Christian crap...when I come across eric hovid, talking to atheists trying to trick them.

Somehow I ended up watch 8 parts of the MSS, with DPR Jones, thunderf00t, AronRa, Eric Hovid and Sye something or other and a bunch of other people. I remembered Sye from TTA podcast many months ago saying that everyone knows god exists and if you did and don't know...you just didn't do it right the first time and you essentially always an unbeliever, because god has revealed himself through what he termed a "revelation" and never thoroughly explained where it came from. On the MSS, he refused to discuss the bible, what he claimed was god's word, with unbelievers. Yet at the end tried to preach, which was thankfully blocked out.

So, here I am on the fence again for a moment and driven right back over by the overall tenor of the arguments leveled by those two Christians. Never in my life had I heard a more specious argument for an alleged "proof" for the existence of god. At the end Ken Hovid, seemed to pussyfoot passed the bible as his reason for his proof and focused more heavily on logic and the "perfection" of nature, which is hardly really perfect.

So like a rubber band stretched pretty thin, I bounced back to atheism. It was really a lousy debate with far too much shouting and sometimes screaming and peppered with just as silly rationale on both sides. It did solidify why I am atheist....because their arguments for god, didn't make any sense and I found them both to be incredibly arrogant in their claims. Any chance they got, they twisted words and made snarky remarks like Sye repeatedly saying, "I'm done with you." as though he won a point or the whole argument.

The one thing I've never really done was thoroughly come out to my family, because I never see them, except for weddings and funerals if they think to include me and live in a different state.

Tonight I did just that. I highly doubt I'll hear from any of them ever again.

Honestly, no one gives a damn if you're an atheist or not. We're entering a time when no one knows anything for sure anymore. And there will come a time when you've smoked enough weed, played enough X-box, made fun of enough religious people, and generally under-achieved in life when you will ask yourself if there is anything more. In that day, you will have to find God on your own and quit expecting to follow someone else, be they a YouTube preacher or your mom and dad.

Atheism is the ultimate ignorance, because once you claim there is no God, then you automatically lay claim to the idea that there is no truth. And after that, there is only hedonism, nihilism and random bumperstickers of belief.

What's the downside? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-12-2012, 01:41 PM
College sports is the biggest problem. It aims to turn a profit at every possible avenue.

I will say this in defense of professional sports and the sponsors, it has led to research to improve player safety (especially in recent years). It has also helped advance medical techniques for treating injury.

Society as a whole gets to benefit from these areas that are driven by greed in professional sports.

I won't defend the salaries though. Or the insane amount of money the leagues make. Or the fact that they could directly channel that money into better research rather than just trying to change the rules. I can't defend those areas but damn I do love sports.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-12-2012, 01:42 PM
And ticket prices. And TV contract prices. And blackouts of games on radio through computers and cell phones. That shit pisses me off as someone who doesn't have cable.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
(06-12-2012 01:41 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  College sports is the biggest problem. It aims to turn a profit at every possible avenue.

I will say this in defense of professional sports and the sponsors, it has led to research to improve player safety (especially in recent years). It has also helped advance medical techniques for treating injury.

Society as a whole gets to benefit from these areas that are driven by greed in professional sports.

I won't defend the salaries though. Or the insane amount of money the leagues make. Or the fact that they could directly channel that money into better research rather than just trying to change the rules. I can't defend those areas but damn I do love sports.
Examples of fucking up the game:

Football: Moving the hash marks in so they no longer matter. Positional strategy removed.

Basketball: Double-dribbling and traveling are part of the game. Skill? We don't need no stinkin' skill.

Hockey: Offsides rule changes make that stupid dump and run tactic rampant. Skill? We don't need no stinkin' skill.

And the emphasis on post-season play has all but made the actual seasons meaningless.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Agreed on all of those, except hockey. That is only because I have not yet gotten into that sport. I want to but the whole "no cable" thing coupled with the lockout make that pretty freaking hard.

I don't watch basketball for that very reason. Skill is only measured by how many points you score and that is essentially it. If one player just goes off and scores time after time, it *might* just be related to the fact that no one plays defense on the outside...at all.

—Thomas Henry Huxley