"I'm dying _____ anyway"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2013, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 06:40 PM by LadyJane.)
"I'm dying _____ anyway"
I had an interesting thought today. I went out for a drive to free my mind a little and thought of my hobbies and had a shit moment of remembering my friends who died enjoying what they did. It's been that time of year for me and never an easy one since I've lost an awful lot of friends to the same hobbies I share.

But I do remember something they said:

- "I'm going to die on 2 wheels anyway."
- "I'm dying from flying anyway."
- "I'll probably die racing anyway."
- "I'm going out doing x anyway."

I noticed that these types of sayings tend to have a lack of self preservation. It got me wondering... is there a lack of self preservation on some mind sets for a reason? Is it really that people see the risk of a hobby or a sport and they accept it? Or is it that they understand the risks and look forward to the risks because there's some underlying comfort in going out doing what you enjoy?

I am not afraid of dying myself. I greatly enjoy what I do, and I'm perfectly accepting of it. But I do have self preservation and I do try to be as safe as possible. There was a time in my life when I most certainly was afraid of it. I certainly don't "welcome it with open arms" because I enjoy life, but I can't say I'm afraid anymore. I do not quite understand the lack of self preservation that some of my friends had, it was almost as if some of them wanted to die. It's an odd thing to fathom for me and I'm not sure I quite understand a desire to die. Am I crazy here?

It very much seems to me that some people find something they enjoy and continue doing it in very risky ways as if they know they'll escape life ultimately. Perhaps it is that they have control on how they'll go out, instead of dying of old age, or some disease, or perhaps painfully (although some did). But I still don't think I quite understand the desire of it all. Is it because they realize that the time of death is uncertain? Perhaps they were afraid of life itself, the answers and questions of life. Perhaps other reasons. I certainly can't ask them, but many were most certainly avoidable and unfortunate.

Anyone care to reflect on it? It's been one of those days for me, figured I'd throw that out there. It is odd to me... the idea and attitude, lack of self preservation: "Well... I'm going to die doing X anyway." is that not sort of a "Fuck it all." attitude?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 05:45 PM
RE: "I'm dying _____ anyway"
I do think there are certain personalities with that attitude.
It's okay if you have no-one relying on you but if you have a family (kids etc...) I think it's a selfish attitude.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
09-01-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm dying... from living anyway Tongue

Sorry, didn't mean to be flippant. How about this?

No, I never got that attitude. I get dying for something useful, but just for the heck of it - not really. Would be interesting to know what goes on in the heads of folks like this just before they die. I'm sure a lot of them suddenly discover they actually do mind dying.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarder├▓."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
09-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I think it is complacency, we all take life for granted.

Rewards vs Risks.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
09-01-2013, 06:25 PM
While I don't take unnecessary risks - you may end up just terribly hurt and with a screwed up life - I want to die when and how I want.

So I want to preserve my health and happiness, but not necessarily my life, depending on the situation.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-01-2013, 06:32 PM
I suppose there's different strokes for different folks. I've known quite a few adrenaline junkies. A couple of my best friend love hang gliding and para gliding and sky diving, they do it all the time (usually at a local hot spot that's perfect for it but has lately become known as "Widowmaker" because there are more fatal sports accidents there than anywhere else around here). I also have a group of whitewater rafter friends. None of my aerial friends have died yet, but a couple of my aquatic acquaintances died rafting.

I realize that's not a huge sampling group, but not one of them "plans" to die at their sport. Many of them freely say that they'd rather die at their sport than home in bed, or some such thing, but not one of them has ever said anything to lead me to the notion that they're doing it just so that they can die doing it.

As for me, I want to die in bed, but not sleeping...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
09-01-2013, 08:01 PM
For some reason this thread made me think of minute 00:50 of this clip:

Some people do seem to have a death wish. They just keep on pushing their hobbies to the extreme. It's sort like the guy who used the squirrel suit to fly only a few feet off the ground. One miscalculation and he's hamburger. I'm sure adrenaline plays a large part in it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post