I'm feeling smarmy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm feeling smarmy
So, I am going to preface this by saying that I am neither an econut nor anti-environment, I would love to buy all organic/grass-fed but can't afford it (I like the idea and the taste better) and understand the hazards of chemically-treated foods, but I also understand the necessity of pesticides, herbicides, and GMO's. So, those that are staunchly opposed either way frustrate me, but the liberal-hippie-douche may be ever-so-slightly more annoying (if you are one, I'm not sorry for saying that. I understand your point, just not the smarmy and smug attitude towards, although I may be being a bit smarmy and smug so you can tell me to bugger off if you like Big Grin ).

Anyways, I was just in my local supermarket when I overheard a female hippie looking at the produce and trying to decide what to buy or whether she even should (the kind of crunchy-granola hippy who I am surprised even went in this store to begin with). She said "Ughh, pesticides give people cancer" and then walked off without buying anything. I really badly wanted to say "So does the sun" but I resisted. I am well aware that ingestion of pesticides is not exactly beneficial to your health, but you can wash the fruits and vegetables and the ingestion of extremely small quantities is harmless. It's all about dilution. I take satisfaction in knowing that the majority of what she buys in-store that says organic is still highly likely to have had pesticides and herbicides used on it, but that she is likely to naive to believe that.

So, any other times when you like to be smarmy and smug that are not directly related to god or the supernatural?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2012, 11:54 AM
RE: I'm feeling smarmy
Yeah, I can't stand them self-righteous hippie fucks. Although it's OK when my Gwynnies does it. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-05-2012, 12:06 PM
(19-05-2012 11:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So, any other times when you like to be smarmy and smug that are not directly related to god or the supernatural?

Many times the attribution is artificial, as when they use "natural" vs "unnatural", often with repect to "generic drugs", vs "naturally occuring" substances.

My usual retort : "So, the electrons go around backwards, or what ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Yea, I love it when people refer to anything humans do as "unnatural." It implies we are not a part of nature.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I just want to know if they'll volunteer to get off the plant if we farm they way they want? I think 1/3 of the populace would need to go without food. I'm sure not going to volunteer for that.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
19-05-2012, 12:37 PM
(19-05-2012 11:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I take satisfaction in knowing that the majority of what she buys in-store that says organic is still highly likely to have had pesticides and herbicides used on it, but that she is likely to naive to believe that.

So, any other times when you like to be smarmy and smug that are not directly related to god or the supernatural?
I think the very reason she was in that store was so she could be smarmy and smug. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
19-05-2012, 12:39 PM
(19-05-2012 12:37 PM)kim Wrote:  
(19-05-2012 11:45 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I take satisfaction in knowing that the majority of what she buys in-store that says organic is still highly likely to have had pesticides and herbicides used on it, but that she is likely to naive to believe that.

I think the very reason she was in that store was so she could be smarmy and smug. Wink
Probably, she had some guy with her she was saying this to. Probably trying to show off, that only makes me wish more that I had said something.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-05-2012, 02:11 PM
(19-05-2012 12:39 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Probably, she had some guy with her she was saying this to. Probably trying to show off, that only makes me wish more that I had said something.

You'd only be justifying their pitiful existence.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post