I'm going to be a dad!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2014, 12:00 PM
I'm going to be a dad!
And I'm a little overwhelmed.. A little background info, I'm 19 years old, in the United States Air Force. My wife and I have been married since June. We weren't really trying to have a baby, we were to the point where "if it happens it happens". And well it happened a lot quicker than I expected. She's REALLY excited, I'm excited but also very nervous, as it's our first child and since I'm only a year out of high school it's just a lot to handle for myself in my opinion.

How did you fellow dads feel when you found out your wife was pregnant?

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Misenhelter's post
21-10-2014, 12:03 PM
RE: I'm going to be a dad!
(21-10-2014 12:00 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  ...

How did you fellow dads feel when you found out your wife was pregnant?

My first thought... I'll get the bastard! Angry

[+] 19 users Like DLJ's post
21-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Congrats!

Ignore DLJ. We just can't seem to teach him any social graces. Smile

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Congrats.

I suppose I can speak for my hubby on this: he was happy overall about it -- so happy he couldn't wait to tell people.

I was the one who read the stick, and bolted back into the bathroom to throw up.

He was less than encouraged by my reaction. Dodgy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Sucks to be you right now.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
21-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Congrats! Thumbsup

Now, go to a bank and open an interest bearing IRA account and deposit whatever can be spared each week for at least the next 18 years. Visit the bank's broker - they all have at least one hanging around in the back of the office - they are there to serve you. It's not too early to start a portfolio for your zygote. Once it's born, take out a couple of insurance policies on you and the wife, with the kid as beneficiary. Even if it doesn't go to college straight out of high school, there will be some investment money to work with.

Being the dad Dad is all about protection and maintenance and if you get into the habit now, it can go smoothly. Oh, you also might want to begin a hardcore exercise routine to increase your level of physical fitness. You're going to need it... and plenty of rest.

Everything else is love. That part never comes with instructions. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
22-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Welp, good luck!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-10-2014, 05:31 AM
Congratulations!

(21-10-2014 12:00 PM)Misenhelter Wrote:  How did you fellow dads feel when you found out your wife was pregnant?

Well, my wife and I were trying, so I was pretty excited. Actually, I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut about the whole thing. My wife didn't want to tell anyone until after the first trimester, because I guess the chance of miscarriage drops after that, so she didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. Regardless, that didn't stop me from having the stupidest, biggest grin possible the next time I saw my mom and sister. So, despite my wife's wishes and me not actually telling them they started asking lots of questions.
29-10-2014, 06:09 PM
(21-10-2014 04:02 PM)kim Wrote:  Congrats! Thumbsup

Now, go to a bank and open an interest bearing IRA account and deposit whatever can be spared each week for at least the next 18 years. Visit the bank's broker - they all have at least one hanging around in the back of the office - they are there to serve you. It's not too early to start a portfolio for your zygote. Once it's born, take out a couple of insurance policies on you and the wife, with the kid as beneficiary. Even if it doesn't go to college straight out of high school, there will be some investment money to work with.

Being the dad Dad is all about protection and maintenance and if you get into the habit now, it can go smoothly. Oh, you also might want to begin a hardcore exercise routine to increase your level of physical fitness. You're going to need it... and plenty of rest.

Everything else is love. That part never comes with instructions. Wink

Congrats!! Just for clarification - you can't open accounts for the unborn, nor can you roll over an IRA to anyone else. Once the money is in there, it's in their and can't be transferred to anyone else. So just opening up a normal brokerage account in your name will be a better move if you plan on shifting the funds to your little one.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
29-10-2014, 06:24 PM
The first time was definitely a holy shit moment. It was unplanned, but welcome news. It all worked out, or I should say we worked it out. He's now 3. The second one, which is due next month, was planned and I'm making a lot more money than I was with the first one. So it's much less financially stressful this time around, the downside being that I'm only home a few days per month.

Ain't nothing in life ever ideal, so just take what you've got and go with it and you'll be fine.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post