I'm going to die soon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 01:36 AM
RE: I'm going to die soon
(12-01-2013 01:30 AM)robotworld Wrote:  This might sound cliche, but it's really not how much you know at the end. It's about how you apply them to make the lives of other people better. Life is a journey of learning new things and experimenting, so enjoy it while it lasts Smile
This might not sound cliche, but nothing matters, life is POINTLESS. We are only organic life forms which have evolved into a state of conscious awareness and deep thought. Our life has no meaning, some might say from an evolutionary standpoint that our sole purpose is to breed and survive or flourish as a species. But no, even that doesn't matter. Nothing in this entire cosmos, has a 'reason' for existing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 01:41 AM
(12-01-2013 01:32 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Let's work towards a method of extending life. Wouldn't it be neat if science got far enough to be capable of making us immortal?
No it REALLY would not be neat. Death is there for a reason. It's the counterbalance for life. If no one died, the flow of new ideas would be very limited. If no one died, our species would overpopulate faster than you could say 'fuck my life'. Have you ever starved? I have, intentionally, have you ever been dehyderated? I have. And these things are not good things to be. And with an overpopulated species you would have that problem.
12-01-2013, 01:44 AM
Death isn't there for a reason, just as life isn't there for a reason. Unless your reason is consequence, then the statement is perfectly fine.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
12-01-2013, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 01:52 AM by Adenosis.)
(12-01-2013 01:41 AM)Nappa Wrote:  No it REALLY would not be neat. Death is there for a reason. It's the counterbalance for life. If no one died, the flow of new ideas would be very limited. If no one died, our species would overpopulate faster than you could say 'fuck my life'. Have you ever starved? I have, intentionally, have you ever been dehyderated? I have. And these things are not good things to be. And with an overpopulated species you would have that problem.
I guess that would be a problem with an increasing population, and it would be unfair to keep the immortality solution to ourselves. Or would it? We wouldn't need to make everyone immortal.

A nice little solution to this would be...

Putting our resources towards educating and feeding the worlds population. There are millionaires, even billionaires with money just sitting there. There is money being spent on stupid shit, like interest, destroy the bankers. We need less greedy people and more people working towards bettering the planet as a whole, all humans.

Once we made the population self sustainable, so that everyone was able to 'fend for themselves', we could create a law in which every couple can only have two kids. That way the worlds population would be semi-static.

Then for the individuals that don't want kids, they could become immortal instead. Sounds like a neat trade off Big Grin

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

12-01-2013, 01:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 01:56 AM by Nappa.)
(12-01-2013 01:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Death isn't there for a reason, just as life isn't there for a reason. Unless your reason is consequence, then the statement is perfectly fine.
They are and they aren't. But my reason would likely be consequence. You are born so you die, and vice versa. You can not escape this cycle of life and death, the buddhists they can by reaching nirvana, poor poor buddhists. I have no wish to live, but dying would not cease me living. It would only terminate this organic life form. And some where in the cosmos, I'd click back into consciousness. Just as I had no choice this time around. So I will never have a choice in choosing to not live.

Quote:I
guess that would be a problem with an increasing population, and it
would be unfair to keep the immortality solution to ourselves. Or would
it? We wouldn't need to make everyone immortal.

Once we made the population self sustainable, so that everyone
was able to fend for themselves per say, we could create a law in which
every couple can only have two kids. That way the worlds population
would be semi-static.

Then for the individuals that don't want kids, they could become immortal instead. Sounds like a neat trade off Big Grin
I have no wish to be immortal, I have no wish to live forever. Such things imply that I am afraid to die. Would I mind living for a thousand years? Not at all, but living forever, is something that I certainly do not want. But I shall have, and being dead forever is something I do not want, but I shall have.

Our consciousness, is a cycle, and it can not be broken. We are damned to live forever, and to die forever. You born again into this world, and I hope to god the next world you're in is much better than this shit hole. And if you're born again here. Sucks to be you.
12-01-2013, 01:51 AM
(12-01-2013 01:41 AM)Nappa Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 01:32 AM)Aspchizo Wrote:  Let's work towards a method of extending life. Wouldn't it be neat if science got far enough to be capable of making us immortal?
No it REALLY would not be neat. Death is there for a reason. It's the counterbalance for life. If no one died, the flow of new ideas would be very limited. If no one died, our species would overpopulate faster than you could say 'fuck my life'. Have you ever starved? I have, intentionally, have you ever been dehyderated? I have. And these things are not good things to be. And with an overpopulated species you would have that problem.
That's actually not true about death. Death is not the counterbalance to life... death is an aspect of multi-cellular life. That's the total truth for how unicellular life is understood to this point. While most ideas of how the universe will either crunch or end in the heath death of the universe, the life could be distinguished but not in the quick cellular collapse that is associated with death in multi-cellular life.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
12-01-2013, 01:55 AM
(12-01-2013 01:36 AM)Nappa Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 01:30 AM)robotworld Wrote:  This might sound cliche, but it's really not how much you know at the end. It's about how you apply them to make the lives of other people better. Life is a journey of learning new things and experimenting, so enjoy it while it lasts Smile
This might not sound cliche, but nothing matters, life is POINTLESS. We are only organic life forms which have evolved into a state of conscious awareness and deep thought. Our life has no meaning, some might say from an evolutionary standpoint that our sole purpose is to breed and survive or flourish as a species. But no, even that doesn't matter. Nothing in this entire cosmos, has a 'reason' for existing.
What you said is technically true. It all depends on your perspective however. Sure, what we all do now, in a billion years time will become insignificant, nothing. However, consider a shorter time frame, your lifetime. Everything you do that affects other people have a significance at the moment of action. You have to craft out your own reason for existing on. Our lives are just tiny sparks, but let's make that spark the nicest spark we can. We are freaking lucky to be alive at this moment of time.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
12-01-2013, 01:59 AM
Or you know, do the world (or at least this forum) a favor and just end your life at 8,000.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
12-01-2013, 02:13 AM
(12-01-2013 01:51 AM)Nappa Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 01:44 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Death isn't there for a reason, just as life isn't there for a reason. Unless your reason is consequence, then the statement is perfectly fine.
They are and they aren't. But my reason would likely be consequence. You are born so you die, and vice versa. You can not escape this cycle of life and death, the buddhists they can by reaching nirvana, poor poor buddhists. I have no wish to live, but dying would not cease me living. It would only terminate this organic life form. And some where in the cosmos, I'd click back into consciousness. Just as I had no choice this time around. So I will never have a choice in choosing to not live.
There is no reason to assume that life and death are a cycle, certainly they are intertwined, you are born and you die, and for most organisms things must die so that they can live, but to say that after death, the consciousness will simply be transferred elsewhere is a baseless assumption at best.

It is likely that the materials that made up your body will go in into other things, possibly other beings, if that is what you are going for. It is unlikely however that you will click back into consciousness elsewhere, you are the result of your brain, it's chemistry, it's electrical patterns, by freak happening this you exists, if one thing had been different at your brains inception, it's likely you would be a totally different you. You are your brain and once you die, it dies and decomposes.
Done, finito, your ride is finish, it is time to pay your bill, asked to leave the party, make your exit. However way you wish to phrase it. There is simply no reason to believe you will live again in an endless cycle.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
12-01-2013, 02:14 AM
(12-01-2013 01:51 AM)Nappa Wrote:  I have no wish to be immortal, I have no wish to live forever. Such things imply that I am afraid to die. Would I mind living for a thousand years? Not at all, but living forever, is something that I certainly do not want. But I shall have, and being dead forever is something I do not want, but I shall have.

Our consciousness, is a cycle, and it can not be broken. We are damned to live forever, and to die forever. You born again into this world, and I hope to god the next world you're in is much better than this shit hole. And if you're born again here. Sucks to be you.
Well living forever would be very difficult to achieve, by immortality I really meant the ability to live for thousands of years. If you got bored you could go ahead and commit suicide, or just wait until we can no longer sustain life because of the suns death.

That would be interesting if our consciousness did run on somewhat of a cycle, being born into a new life after death. I would really like that experience.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious