I'm going to die soon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2013, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 02:45 AM by Nappa.)
RE: I'm going to die soon
(12-01-2013 02:13 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  There is no reason to assume that life and death are a cycle, certainly they are intertwined, you are born and you die, and for most organisms things must die so that they can live, but to say that after death, the consciousness will simply be transferred elsewhere is a baseless assumption at best.

It is likely that the materials that made up your body will go in into other things, possibly other beings, if that is what you are going for. It is unlikely however that you will click back into consciousness elsewhere, you are the result of your brain, it's chemistry, it's electrical patterns, by freak happening this you exists, if one thing had been different at your brains inception, it's likely you would be a totally different you. You are your brain and once you die, it dies and decomposes.
Done, finito, your ride is finish, it is time to pay your bill, asked to leave the party, make your exit. However way you wish to phrase it. There is simply no reason to believe you will live again in an endless cycle.
My brain only processes my consciousness, my brain gives me a false identity to represent myself by. A person who is 'brain dead' is alive. But their brain can no process the conscious anomaly. If you cloned some one, they would have these same 'parts' you have in your brain as the original, but they WOULD have a different consciousness. We are much more computer than you think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2013, 02:59 AM
If a person is brain dead, all activity with is irreversibly ceased, even the autonomic nervous system, which is below conscious thought, shuts down. They are by definition, dead. It is not that the brain is incapable of holding this supposed "anomaly" of yours, it is inert totally and incapable of anything.

By saying that a persons consciousness is an anomaly, not being reliant upon the brain, and can be reformed intact later on begs a few questions; "Why does it not seem to manifest in other creatures who have less complicated neuro-networks or inanimate objects?"_"Why does brain damage often have the result of changing a persons personality if their consciousness is not a product of the brain, and why does altering the brains chemistry or electrical signals affect personalities also?"_"Are the changes from aforementioned methods permanent, or are they simply shrugged off at the death of the host brain?"_"Is consciousness a parasite?"_"How exactly does it reform after the hosts death? Does it poof in and out of existence, or do fairies take it away and rebuild it later on?"_"Why can we not detect it as outside of the brain?"

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
12-01-2013, 03:13 AM
(12-01-2013 02:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  If a person is brain dead, all activity with is irreversibly ceased, even the autonomic nervous system, which is below conscious thought, shuts down. They are by definition, dead. It is not that the brain is incapable of holding this supposed "anomaly" of yours, it is inert totally and incapable of anything.

By saying that a persons consciousness is an anomaly, not being reliant upon the brain, and can be reformed intact later on begs a few questions; "Why does it not seem to manifest in other creatures who have less complicated neuro-networks or inanimate objects?"_"Why does brain damage often have the result of changing a persons personality if their consciousness is not a product of the brain, and why does altering the brains chemistry or electrical signals affect personalities also?"_"Are the changes from aforementioned methods permanent, or are they simply shrugged off at the death of the host brain?"_"Is consciousness a parasite?"_"How exactly does it reform after the hosts death? Does it poof in and out of existence, or do fairies take it away and rebuild it later on?"_"Why can we not detect it as outside of the brain?"
Your personality and your consciousness are NOT the same thing, lesser animals have varying degrees of conscious existence. I never said that 'consciousness' reforms itself did I? poofing in and out of existence... well if the brain generates it's own consciousness then that may be very plausible. On the chance that it does, I see no reason why a brain wouldn't generate another conscious 'me'. I mean I have eternity and infinity to work with here.
12-01-2013, 09:45 AM
(12-01-2013 03:13 AM)Nappa Wrote:  
(12-01-2013 02:59 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  If a person is brain dead, all activity with is irreversibly ceased, even the autonomic nervous system, which is below conscious thought, shuts down. They are by definition, dead. It is not that the brain is incapable of holding this supposed "anomaly" of yours, it is inert totally and incapable of anything.

Your personality and your consciousness are NOT the same thing, lesser animals have varying degrees of conscious existence. I never said that 'consciousness' reforms itself did I? poofing in and out of existence... well if the brain generates it's own consciousness then that may be very plausible. On the chance that it does, I see no reason why a brain wouldn't generate another conscious 'me'. I mean I have eternity and infinity to work with here.
So you are saying you wont snap back into the cosmos? After all, your personality is 'you', if that is separate from that "consciousness anomaly" of yours, 'you' wont be recycled, it'll just be an apparently intangible anomaly with nothing within. An empty consciousness if you will. After all, consciousness is simply the blank slate of awareness, nothing more, it has no identity, nor does it have a method to create or hold one without something like a brain to build one.

Secondly, you did say:

Quote: And some where in the cosmos, I'd click back into consciousness.
That implies that the consciousness leaves the host at some point or is destroyed to be reformed elsewhere, therefor, whether you were aware of it or not, you in effect said it forms elsewhere after death. That begs the question: How does it simply "click back into the cosmos" after the host brain is offline? That question was the root of my ridicule involving fairies and 'poofing'. If you've a mechanism by which you die and your consciousness (which still apparently retains your personality/identity) can "click" into elsewhere in the cosmos, by all means, do share it with us.

Finally, was that last statement supposed to make sense? Of course the brain 'generates' consciousness, that tends to happen in a biological thing which evolved a brain capable of perception; recognizing patterns and awareness of external or internal situation and stimuli. It's a byproduct of sufficiently complex neurological systems (as far as anybody who is not practicing in Philoso-bull can tell). It doesn't just build new consciousnesses whenever, though if damaged the brain may create a new personality (effectively a new 'mind', if you tend toward an 'identity=mind' type of philoso-bull).

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
12-01-2013, 10:25 AM
The cycle of life involves death, there may possibly be a lot of learning through those stages (of dying) before our brains shut off.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Hmmm... what did I learn from this death scene? Well, it seem that heavy metal musical accompaniment makes for great dramatics. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Before you can even have this conversation, you all need to have the exact same definition of "consciousness".

If it's just the opposite of unconsciousness, all it means is that you are aware of your surroundings, really.

Or maybe you mean "cognition"?

Or do you mean "self awareness", that which allows you to analyse yourself?

Many people equate it with personality, that which has turned out to be unique to your psyche in the course of the years.

Re. losing what you learned, what did you learn it for in the first place? Is it survival? Is it just because you like learning? Is it towards a purpose, like a job?

Whether learning is wasted has little to do with whether you die, it has to do with whether it served it's purpose at the time.

Then you say you have lived a third of your life. In numbers, yes you have. In perception, you are actually much further along than you think. Think back to when you were a kid and how long a year was. It lasted forever. Summers were incredibly long. The older you get, the faster time goes. Eventually years fly by and you wonder where the fuck they went. One year you teach your toddler to walk, next thing you know they are in grade school, and when you turn around again they have moved out. It goes faster and faster as far as human perception goes, every older person will tell you that. That's where the saying "life is short" comes from, it's a heck of a lot shorter than you think. Even if you live all your years out.

So many things are relative, so if you are going to have a conversation about life and death and learning and consciousness, you need to define everything first so you know you are on the same page at least.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man