I'm going to start tutoring a Vietnamese guy in English.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm going to start tutoring a Vietnamese guy in English.
This will be my first one-on-one for pay tutoring session. The guy wants to get rid of his accent, learn proper English, and pronounce words correctly.

Should be interesting.

He seems to know English pretty well, so I think I'm going to focus on getting rid of the accent.

Any suggestions?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-04-2012, 08:51 AM
RE: I'm going to start tutoring a Vietnamese guy in English.
I would suggest you have him teach you pronounciation in his language it should help a lot in determining what he might need to change. The basics are often the hardest part about learning things.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-04-2012, 08:52 AM
(03-04-2012 08:51 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I would suggest you have him teach you pronounciation in his language it should help a lot in determining what he might need to change. The basics are often the hardest part about learning things.
Hmmm, that's a good idea.

Thanks.

03-04-2012, 08:58 AM
My suggestion is that you should follow my lead. Have 5 VN girls living in your spare room. Much more rewarding.

But the long hairs in the sink, the disappearing loo rolls and the skimpy panties hanging everywhere can get pretty Hannoying!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
I learned pronounciation from television. I only occasionally sound like I'm from the midwest. Is he looking to speak a southern dialect or the more standard one?

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-04-2012, 09:02 AM
(03-04-2012 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My suggestion is that you should follow my lead. Have 5 VN girls living in your spare room. Much more rewarding.

But the long hairs in the sink, the disappearing loo rolls and the skimpy panties hanging everywhere can get pretty Hannoying!

OMG. I envy you.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
(03-04-2012 08:59 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I learned pronounciation from television. I only occasionally sound like I'm from the midwest. Is he looking to speak a southern dialect or the more standard one?
I'm assuming a neutral accent. I *can* speak with one. I actually got rid of my thick Southern accent in college when I was studying communication.

Now, I just don't care. My accent has slipped back, and I see no reason to get rid of it since I'm not pursuing a communication/journalism career anymore.

But anyway, I've been fortunate enough to be able to distinguish accents and recognize my own; so, this will help me neutralize his.

03-04-2012, 09:14 AM
(03-04-2012 09:02 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My suggestion is that you should follow my lead. Have 5 VN girls living in your spare room. Much more rewarding.

OMG. I envy you.

Hehehe. I'm their Shakespearian God!

To KC,
I've had a few VN guys (no, not like that) on my training courses in KL and SG. Very limited English and first time out of VN. These were fairly advanced Service Management courses and they all scored well in their exams. One guy got top score.
The technique we used was to get them to present to the rest of the class. We could not understand much of what they were saying but we knew that they knew because of the way they presented and by what they were pointing at on the flipcharts.

So, I suggest active listening: start a conversation and then correct words as you go. It's also what I do for the girls who stay here, at least for the ones studying English here in SG.

The other girls, friends of the students who are just visiting, well, they are, to use their own expression, "from the farm" so the focus is just to reach a basic level of two=way communication with no refinement.

03-04-2012, 09:18 AM
I think that I'm going to open up my house as a bed in breakfast, once I buy one that is..

Maybe I'll get lucky and have some VN guys or girls come in. Wink

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2012, 09:25 AM
(03-04-2012 09:14 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 09:02 AM)xLegendofLink096x Wrote:  OMG. I envy you.

Hehehe. I'm their Shakespearian God!

To KC,
I've had a few VN guys (no, not like that) on my training courses in KL and SG. Very limited English and first time out of VN. These were fairly advanced Service Management courses and they all scored well in their exams. One guy got top score.
The technique we used was to get them to present to the rest of the class. We could not understand much of what they were saying but we knew that they knew because of the way they presented and by what they were pointing at on the flipcharts.

So, I suggest active listening: start a conversation and then correct words as you go. It's also what I do for the girls who stay here, at least for the ones studying English here in SG.

The other girls, friends of the students who are just visiting, well, they are, to use their own expression, "from the farm" so the focus is just to reach a basic level of two=way communication with no refinement.

That's an awesome idea. Thanks, David.

I had thought about doing something like this, but I wasn't sure how effective it would be.