I'm going to start tutoring a Vietnamese guy in English.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2012, 09:25 AM
RE: I'm going to start tutoring a Vietnamese guy in English.
Break it down in to a syllable at a time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 09:30 AM
(03-04-2012 09:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's an awesome idea. Thanks, David.

I had thought about doing something like this, but I wasn't sure how effective it would be.

Only my mother calls me David!

03-04-2012, 09:33 AM
(03-04-2012 09:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 09:25 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  That's an awesome idea. Thanks, David.

I had thought about doing something like this, but I wasn't sure how effective it would be.

Only my mother calls me David!
Speaking of... how do you pronounce your middle name?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
The English would pronounce it loo-well-in or le-well-in with a slight emphasis on the "well". http://howjsay.com/index.php?word=llewel...mit=Submit

But for the Welsh, double L is pronounced almost like this http://www.forvo.com/word/llewellyn/ except this is the pronunciation for LLeweLyn so you have to make the second double L the same as the first double L.

Sorry you asked?

Anyway, to my Asian students, I sound like Richard Burton / Anthony Hopkins reading Shakespeare. Cos they don't know no better!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-04-2012, 09:50 AM
(03-04-2012 09:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  The English would pronounce it loo-well-in or le-well-in with a slight emphasis on the "well". http://howjsay.com/index.php?word=llewel...mit=Submit

But for the Welsh, double L is pronounced almost like this http://www.forvo.com/word/llewellyn/ except this is the pronunciation for LLeweLyn so you have to make the second double L the same as the first double L.

Sorry you asked?

Anyway, to my Asian students, I sound like Richard Burton / Anthony Hopkins reading Shakespeare. Cos they don't know no better!
lol no way man.

I love learning new things.

Thanks!

03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
I like the idea of finding phrases he uses frequently and then helping him in pronouncing them without and accent.

That sounds like it would be fun! Big Grin

Good luck!
03-04-2012, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2012 10:43 AM by germanyt.)
(03-04-2012 08:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  can get pretty Hannoying!
icwhatudidthur.jpg

Help him to understand context and idioms. Idioms and slang can be the most difficult part of learning a new language from what I am told.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
So, we met Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. He's really trying to get rid of his accent, so this is more speech therapy than English lessons.

In a weird twist of fate, he just finished dental school with my ex and is close friends with her. I dated this girl for 2 years.

11-04-2012, 10:39 AM
(11-04-2012 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, we met Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. He's really trying to get rid of his accent, so this is more speech therapy than English lessons.

In a weird twist of fate, he just finished dental school with my ex and is close friends with her. I dated this girl for 2 years.
is she hawt?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
11-04-2012, 10:47 AM
(11-04-2012 10:39 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(11-04-2012 10:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  So, we met Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. He's really trying to get rid of his accent, so this is more speech therapy than English lessons.

is she hawt?
My student or my ex?

My student is a dude.