I'm having problems believing in evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2016, 11:56 AM
I'm having problems believing in evolution
I want to believe evolution is real but I'm having two major problems

1. All the genetic evidence (from what I know of it) could be explained by common design

2. All the fossils used for evidence could just be fossils of similar now extinct species

Is there anyway to disprove either of my problems
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2016, 12:03 PM
RE: I'm having problems believing in evolution
Do you have a problem with believing in gravity???

How about electricity?? Ever see electron potential???

Unlike religion - which simply needs "faith" - and no evidence, Science comes with proof and doesn't require faith....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Okay so what proves my concerns wrong
08-12-2016, 12:04 PM
(08-12-2016 11:56 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I want to believe evolution is real but I'm having two major problems

1. All the genetic evidence (from what I know of it) could be explained by common design

2. All the fossils used for evidence could just be fossils of similar now extinct species

1) no it can't. The reason it can't be ascribed to common design is that there is no evidence of a designer to ascribe it to. Also, it would require a huge coincidence that organisms just happen to be genetically similar enough in a way so as to simulate common descent. Another objection is that humans are supposed to be above animals and not animals themselves (at least to the adherents of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) and the genetic evidence shows that we are unambiguously animals.

2) also not true. We have fossils of extant species and we have fossils of species that have no living relatives and have had no living relatives for hundreds of millions of years. And once again, the appearance of fossils in the fossil record would have to just coincidentally agree with the genetic evidence showing the evolutionary relationships. Also, we can date the ages of the rocks and see how much time the sedimentary record represents.

I recommend reading "Bringing fossils to life" by Prothero and "Historcial Geology" by Wicander. They are both geology/paleontology textbooks you can find used copies of for pretty cheap.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 11 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-12-2016, 12:09 PM
I highly recommend the Evolution 101 podcast.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
08-12-2016, 12:10 PM
There's nothing to believe.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2016, 12:11 PM
A good starter book is Bill Nye's Undeniable. Also watch this video by Dawkins:

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-12-2016, 12:28 PM
Both micro- and macro- evolution have been observed and documented in Real Life.
Creation on the other hand...

I recommend Aronra's videos on youtube.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
08-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I would recommend you to watch the documentary "Intelligent Design on Trial" which covers a real court case in which a federal judge, appointed by George W. Bush, no less, ruled that the arguments for design have no scientific merit after listening to expert testimony from both sides.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
08-12-2016, 12:36 PM
(08-12-2016 11:56 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I want to believe evolution is real but I'm having two major problems

You think a 'designer" would have "designed in' all the flaws that children with genetic disorders experience ? The Peds Genetic Clinics are FULL, booked up for MONTHS ahead. There is not a shred of evidence for 'design". (There is also no such thing as "common design'. Don't know where you cooked that up).

2. Is SO idiotic it's not worth an answer.

One does not "believe" in Evolution. The entire world's scientific community finds it to be the best explanation for what is observed. There IS no alternative. Humans are VERY poorly designed. Spend 5 minutes in a hospital. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post