I'm having problems believing in evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2016, 02:19 PM
RE: I'm having problems believing in evolution
I don't think OP was trying to start a debate. I think they were just looking for easier ways to understand how evolution operates, and how we know it happens. Like a beginner's guide to understanding the theory.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2016, 03:06 PM
Ask -

If you will not take our word for it, try reading The Language of God, by Dr. Francis S. Collins, who is an evangelical Christian and also the head of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, and former head of the Human Genome Project.

He explains why evolution (and descent from common ancestry) is known to be a fact from the standpoint of what we know about DNA, and does a good job of putting it in layman's terms.

The short version is that there are several varieties of genetic "markers" in DNA which have nothing to do with our design (and thus the "similarly designed creatures will have similar DNA" argument does not apply), but which are copied intact and passed down from generation to generation basically unaltered, and which would not be there in "cousin" species unless we shared an ancestral "grandparent" group, long ago. Genetic markers like these are also used in criminal identification and paternity testing, in court.

There's a host of other evidence, but the DNA evidence is pretty hard to argue against. If you read this book and still have questions, I will be glad to field them for you. I have a background in genetics and my wife (who is a Christian, while I am not) works as a researcher in a genetics lab.

You can find the book online here: http://www.difa3iat.com/wp-content/uploa...ollins.pdf

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
08-12-2016, 03:07 PM
(08-12-2016 11:56 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  I want to believe evolution is real but I'm having two major problems

1. All the genetic evidence (from what I know of it) could be explained by common design

2. All the fossils used for evidence could just be fossils of similar now extinct species

Is there anyway to disprove either of my problems

Having doubts about any science is alright, because it can lead to use learning more.

Now to answer your question

(08-12-2016 11:56 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  1. All the genetic evidence (from what I know of it) could be explained by common design

Well evolution being real doesn't disprove any gods what so ever. The thing isn't the just that the genetics are the same, but that they fit together. Tetropods(even us) are more related to lungfish and celocanths(spelled it wrong) than lung fish are to other fish

(08-12-2016 11:56 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  2. All the fossils used for evidence could just be fossils of similar now extinct species

Well no. There is something known as convergent evolution. This in short means that animals that are not closely related are similar(i.e prehistoric aquatic reptiles and cetaceans). There have been ways for people to differentiate animals from each other even when they are fossils. So thanks to the various amounts of research we can tell whether a fossil is another animal or not.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
08-12-2016, 04:29 PM
(08-12-2016 02:19 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  I don't think OP was trying to start a debate. I think they were just looking for easier ways to understand how evolution operates, and how we know it happens. Like a beginner's guide to understanding the theory.

I think OP is a troll Christian who's trying to one up a bunch of Atheists.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
08-12-2016, 04:50 PM
(08-12-2016 04:29 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-12-2016 02:19 PM)ViolexTV Wrote:  I don't think OP was trying to start a debate. I think they were just looking for easier ways to understand how evolution operates, and how we know it happens. Like a beginner's guide to understanding the theory.

I think OP is a troll Christian who's trying to one up a bunch of Atheists.

Always go with your gut.

#sigh
08-12-2016, 04:55 PM
(08-12-2016 12:31 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I would *recommend you to watch the documentary "Intelligent Design on Trial" which covers a real court case in which a federal judge, appointed by George W. Bush, no less, ruled that the arguments for design have no scientific merit after listening to expert testimony from both sides.

*recommend that you watch
(you're not recommending *you*)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-12-2016, 09:47 AM
What about living fossils?
10-12-2016, 09:51 AM
(10-12-2016 09:47 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  What about living fossils?

what about them?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
10-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Don't they at least cast some doubt on evolution, if not explain why
10-12-2016, 10:03 AM
(10-12-2016 09:52 AM)Ask21771 Wrote:  Don't they at least cast some doubt on evolution, if not explain why

Why should they? If so, please explain why.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse