I'm just waiting for this to happen.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2013, 01:21 PM
RE: I'm just waiting for this to happen.
I made 2-3 strong friendships at school and learned a fair amount in spite of my teachers. I do not recall it as a positive experience... I think for me the major benefit was socializing... which is something I guess you can get as a home-schooled kid as well but... ja, I think I wouldn't do that if I had kids.

Teachers are supposed to be pros at getting info into the little buggers, that's what they're trained to do. Home schooling means *you* as a parent are responsible for teaching them *everything* they know about the world... Or hiring some tutor who's also gonna be their single point of reference for their knowledge of the world outside... I don't like that. I'd rather my kid got some exposure to weird ideas from strange people...

I suppose with some effort you could find ways... but why do so when you have a weird idea factory purpose built sitting on your doorstep ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2013, 01:22 PM
In an ideal world I wouldn't send him to kindergarten but instead I would keep the routine you have currently going and teach him the basics of reading, maths and writing at home until he has to go to school.

With respect KC I do find it incredulous that you send your child to be unwillingly indoctrinated with a story when you yourself will indoctrinate your child with the same story but with alternate definitions?

When you only have limited choices though I suppose you have to find the best out of what you do have open to you.I got taught basic christian religion through special days (Easter, Xmas etc) alongside with singing hymns everyday and I am not religious. My parents were my role models and centers of "truth" and Im sure you will be with yours KC.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
18-08-2013, 01:29 PM
(17-08-2013 12:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I teach my kids evolution and that it is correct science; likewise, I teach them God governed it.
It's nice how you teach your kids science. However, in their place I would say, how did God govern it? What was his contribution? I heard that evolution needs just tree processes - copying of molecules, random imperfections in this copying and a selective factor from the environment that destroys some of them. God doesn't have to lift a finger for any of these, unless you count stretching these electron fields, there is quite a lot of chemistry involved.

Why don't you teach your children something like that God speeded up evolution for humans, so that they would rule over Earth? I think that's at least unfalsifiable.

(17-08-2013 12:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...ugh... not looking forward to this.
Well, what goes around, comes around. They teach their kids pretty much like you do, only more stupid. You can't win here, except by the burned ground tactics. Teach your kids to question everything, every authority, including you. Show them how you can be wrong, how everyone can be wrong, and how they can correct you and other big adults just by good observing and thinking and googling stuff up. He didn't praise them for running faster or remembering more than other children, that's inborn genetic stuff. He praised them for putting their knowledge to right use.

That's how Jacque Fresco did it, he wanted his kids to think, not look up to him. So he made small mistakes on purpose in front of them and let them find their own solutions. You may be a fearless snake slayer, but I'd say Fresco's method requires even more courage.

But nevermind me, that's how I compliment people. Praise is empty, doesn't tell you what to do. If I suggest to modify your methods, means you're doing something right and you can build on it. If I say you need to start doing everything different, that is not a compliment Wink

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
18-08-2013, 02:15 PM
It's not my son, so it's not buisness what you teach him KC, even if I agree with it or not.

[Image: garbage-day-o.gif]
18-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Not smart enough to home school??? You obviously haven't met a wide spectrum of public school "teachers". I have. I am undoubtedly smart enough to teach my kids about almost any subject AND I have the added advantage of giving a fuck whether they learn or not.

My daughter has a 4th grade math teacher tell her "You're better at this than I am, anyways"

After 5th grade, half a school year is spent recapping the previous year's curriculum.

By 11th Grade, your kids are down to just Math and English as core classes. Math can vary from Algebra I and II to Calculus and Advanced Calculus/Trigonometry, but why send your kid to Public School for classes he/she could get college credit for it enrolled?

I have always assigned books to my girls to read, then we discuss. I'm probably better at it than their teachers. I challenge my girls to challenge my own opinions and use the internet to back up their assertions.

No reason to use public schools except a culture that has taught us it is the only way.

Busting Homeschool Myths
18-08-2013, 03:56 PM
(17-08-2013 12:22 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I teach my kids evolution and that it is correct science; likewise, I teach them God governed it.

My son starts pre-school on Monday. He's attending a church based school. Like most Southern Baptist churches, I'm fairly certain they will be teaching YEC.

I know my son is going to tell his teachers something about the world being billions of years and that theropods turned into birds...

...and God help me... if those teachers tell him that is incorrect, I'm going to blow a gasket.

The correct response should be, "People believe different things about dinosaurs. Ask your parents about what they believe. I believe that God created everything and that evolution doesn't exists"

But, I know this isn't going to happen. They are just going to tell them that the world is young and that God created everything in 6 days.

...ugh... not looking forward to this.

I wouldn't send kids to any school that taught mythology as fact (YEC), why that school? There are plenty of good schools out there that aren't so ridiculous. Why not public school? Doesn't sound like the education would be worse than at that school given its lack of quality control in the science department.
18-08-2013, 06:39 PM

My son starts pre-school on Monday. He's attending a church based school. Like most Southern Baptist churches, I'm fairly certain they will be teaching YEC.

I know my son is going to tell his teachers something about the world being billions of years and that theropods turned into birds...

...and God help me... if those teachers tell him that is incorrect, I'm going to blow a gasket.

The correct response should be, "People believe different things about dinosaurs. Ask your parents about what they believe. I believe that God created everything and that evolution doesn't exists"

But, I know this isn't going to happen. They are just going to tell them that the world is young and that God created everything in 6 days.

...ugh... not looking forward to this.

Dude! There's no way you can justify that train of thought! You'll have to teach him that "People believe different things about sex." Maybe sperm really doesn't have anything to do with babies. You realize that there are people who cut away a woman's clitoris, because they basically believe that women are no more than temptresses.

Back up for a minute my friend! My parents, many years ago, had no plumbing!

This is your son! He lives in a world of instant communication. Don't condemn him to the stone age!

This will be very hard for you! But back up. Do you want your son to live in the ancient world?
18-08-2013, 07:48 PM
(18-08-2013 02:15 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  It's not my son, so it's not buisness what you teach him KC, even if I agree with it or not.
That's easy. If it's not our business, don't take it to the forum. If you agree, don't comment Big Grin

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
22-08-2013, 06:36 AM
(17-08-2013 12:28 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Dodgy

I am uncertain as to whether the school misleading your son is any worse than you doing it.

Drinking Beverage

Pretty much this.

OP are you a fucking moron?

Don't send him to a school that won't teach him what you did.

Or just choose not to teach him something you have zero proof for but your little fantasy.

You are about to do this small human a serious injustice.