I'm listening to the bible, but still skeptic "Help with a question?"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-12-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm listening to the bible, but still skeptic "Help with a question?"
I'm agnostic but: I'm listening to the bible for the first time sense i was a little kid and don't mind me but i'm not even half way inside it and i'm really confused. It seems to me like some of the wording used doesn't make sense with the sentences. I'm wondering if it's just simply my confusion and lack of understanding the words together or if it really doesn't make sense. Blink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-12-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: I'm listening to the bible, but still skeptic "Help with a question?"
What is the edition/translation?

If you're using the King James Bible there are likely to be word choices and phrases that don't have the common meaning you associate to the words nowadays.

Either way, there's likely plenty that makes no sense to a person anyway you phrase a biblical verse because it was written as poetic nonsense

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-12-2014, 08:23 PM
The easiest Bible to understand is the New International Version... although it is a very poor translation in terms of accuracy.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-12-2014, 08:28 PM
(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm agnostic but: I'm listening to the bible for the first time sense i was a little kid and don't mind me but i'm not even half way inside it and i'm really confused.

You aren't reading with faith in your heart! All that skepticism has blinded you to The Word of Gawd!

(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  It seems to me like some of the wording used doesn't make sense with the sentences.

Soda pop and sinus cavities interact more poorly than you might imagine.

(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm wondering if it's just simply my confusion and lack of understanding the words together or if it really doesn't make sense. Blink

Honestly, it's hard to know. Some of it simply is that batshit crazy. Much of the rest is in some pretty archaic forms of English. Look on the bright side, at least it isn't all in Latin. Post a quote and we'll do what we can to translate/interpret/point and laugh.

If the KJV is giving you problems then try switching to the Common English Bible. It loses something in translation but is a lot simpler going.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Or the New International Version as KC suggests.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-12-2014, 08:47 PM
(23-12-2014 08:28 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm agnostic but: I'm listening to the bible for the first time sense i was a little kid and don't mind me but i'm not even half way inside it and i'm really confused.

You aren't reading with faith in your heart! All that skepticism has blinded you to The Word of Gawd!

(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  It seems to me like some of the wording used doesn't make sense with the sentences.

Soda pop and sinus cavities interact more poorly than you might imagine.

(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm wondering if it's just simply my confusion and lack of understanding the words together or if it really doesn't make sense. Blink

Honestly, it's hard to know. Some of it simply is that batshit crazy. Much of the rest is in some pretty archaic forms of English. Look on the bright side, at least it isn't all in Latin. Post a quote and we'll do what we can to translate/interpret/point and laugh.

If the KJV is giving you problems then try switching to the Common English Bible. It loses something in translation but is a lot simpler going.

You don't even know how creepy that sounded Shocking
I was just talking about me having cavity's with my mother while drinking soda.
Laugh out load
24-12-2014, 02:57 AM
Finding a good translation can be a bitch. If its accurate than your going to have problems with grammar, since grammar is different in different languages, if it is a dynamic translation then it is easier to read but you might lose out on some of the subtleties.

For example, in my Khoine (new Testament) greek class, my teacher prefers a wooden tranlation, as such instead of writing "his mother", we would write "the mother of him".

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
24-12-2014, 03:26 AM
(23-12-2014 08:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The easiest Bible to understand is the New International Version... although it is a very poor translation in terms of accuracy.

Doesn't that just tell you everything you need to know about christianity?

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-12-2014, 03:39 AM
(24-12-2014 03:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(23-12-2014 08:23 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  The easiest Bible to understand is the New International Version... although it is a very poor translation in terms of accuracy.

Doesn't that just tell you everything you need to know about christianity?

Thumbsup

and how many "corrections" were made in this version ?

and by corrections I mean altered to make it seem more credible than it actually is
24-12-2014, 04:45 AM
(24-12-2014 03:39 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(24-12-2014 03:26 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Doesn't that just tell you everything you need to know about christianity?

Thumbsup

and how many "corrections" were made in this version ?

and by corrections I mean altered to make it seem more credible than it actually is

Deliberate Mistranslation in the New International Version (NIV)

Quote:The New International Version of the Bible, or NIV, was first published in 1978. Since then, it has become one of the most popular English Bible translations, and almost certainly the most popular one among Evangelical Christians. It is also one of the worst translations for anyone who is seriously interested in what the Bible says. Its translators are conservative Evangelical Christians who are committed to certain theological doctrines as well as to the inerrancy of the Bible, as is implied in its prefaces:

From the beginning the translators have been united in their commitment to the authority and infallibility of the Bible as God’s Word in written form. (TNIV, 2005)

Our work as translators is motivated by our conviction that the Bible is God’s Word in written form. (NIV, 2011)

However, the text of the Bible itself defies attempts to harmonize its diverse traditions and viewpoints, and its apparent meaning is frequently at odds with sectarian doctrine. The solution of the NIV translators, in many of the passages that challenged their doctrines and belief in inerrancy, has been to change the Bible itself — altering the offending words and phrases to say what they think it ought to have said. In most cases of mistranslated NIV passages, there is a clear “problem” with the original text related either to doctrine or to biblical inerrancy.

I have collected a sample of such passages and presented them below. If you would like to suggest any additions, please contact me through my About page.

For readers who would like a more reliable translation of the Bible in English, I recommend either the 1966 Jerusalem Bible or the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]