• 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2014, 07:32 AM
RE: I'm listening to the bible, but still skeptic "Help with a question?"
A delightful talk by Bart about the inerrancy of the KJV:

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-12-2014, 08:20 AM
(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm agnostic but: I'm listening to the bible for the first time sense i was a little kid and don't mind me but i'm not even half way inside it and i'm really confused. It seems to me like some of the wording used doesn't make sense with the sentences. I'm wondering if it's just simply my confusion and lack of understanding the words together or if it really doesn't make sense. Blink

The bible is meant to be confusing. God wanted to give us his divine insights by telling us nothing clearly. Makes sense, right? Well, of course it doesn't, because the bible is meant to be confusing. It's God's proof that he can't communicate or doesn't want to communicate. So why then, you ask, did he inspire the bible? Perhaps to communicate that he can't communicate. Consider Omnipotence has it's limitations, you see. Oh wait... Yes, I know, that's a contradiction. And it matches perfectly with the bible then. Proof that the bible's many contradictions are consistent with the contradictory nature of God himself. Now, if this all sounds like a load of crap, it's because it is. But, since the bible and God himself are both loads of crap, it's difficult to explain them any other way. Tongue

In all seriousness, many parts of the bible don't make sense and I think it's at least in part due to the way separate texts were combined. For example, the creation story in Genesis appears to be two different versions that were merged together which is why you will find some things being created on one day and then being created again on a later day. While my above comments were in jest, I do believe though that the incomprehensibility of much of the bible is evidence against any god creating it since surely a god would have been far more clear and contradictions wouldn't exist.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
24-12-2014, 08:27 AM
I hate linking this guy because he is cray-cray, but he does have good resources on the crappiness of the NIV.

Link here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
24-12-2014, 08:45 AM
(23-12-2014 07:49 PM)Autumnflowers Wrote:  I'm agnostic but: I'm listening to the bible for the first time sense i was a little kid and don't mind me but i'm not even half way inside it and i'm really confused. It seems to me like some of the wording used doesn't make sense with the sentences. I'm wondering if it's just simply my confusion and lack of understanding the words together or if it really doesn't make sense. Blink

A good tool is this site:

http://biblehub.com/

You can type in a scripture and it will come up showing all versions..for example:

Psalms 82.1

New International Version
A psalm of Asaph. God presides in the great assembly; he renders judgment among the "gods":

New Living Translation
A psalm of Asaph. God presides over heaven's court; he pronounces judgment on the heavenly beings:

English Standard Version
A Psalm of Asaph. God has taken his place in the divine council; in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

New American Standard Bible
A Psalm of Asaph. God takes His stand in His own congregation; He judges in the midst of the rulers.

King James Bible
A Psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
A psalm of Asaph. God has taken His place in the divine assembly; He judges among the gods:"

International Standard Version
God takes his stand in the divine assembly; among the divine beings he renders judgment:

NET Bible
A psalm of Asaph. God stands in the assembly of El; in the midst of the gods he renders judgment.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
God stands in the assembly of the Angels and among the Angels he will judge.

GOD'S WORD Translation
[A psalm by Asaph.] God takes his place in his own assembly. He pronounces judgment among the gods:

Jubilee Bible 2000
God stands in the congregation of the mighty; he judges among the gods.

King James 2000 Bible

American King James Version

American Standard Version
God standeth in the congregation of God; He judgeth among the gods.

Douay-Rheims Bible
A psalm for Asaph. God hath stood in the congregation of gods: and being in the midst of them he judgeth gods.

Darby Bible Translation
{A Psalm of Asaph.} God standeth in the assembly of God, he judgeth among the gods.

English Revised Version
A Psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of God; he judgeth among the gods.

Webster's Bible Translation
A Psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

World English Bible
God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.

Young's Literal Translation
-- A Psalm of Asaph. God hath stood in the company of God, In the midst God doth judge.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
24-12-2014, 09:49 AM

There are many reasons:

1. We don't have any of the original manuscripts. What we have are copies of copies of ... of copies. In most cases, the copyists didn't have original manuscripts either, and what they did have was corrupted in some way. So sometimes they made "educated guesses" as to what the original actually said. Sometimes it was so garbled that they didn't even attempt to correct it, and just copied what they had, whether or not it made sense (perhaps with a marginal note that the original was corrupted).

2. Nobody speaks or writes ancient Hebrew or Greek anymore, so what you're reading is a translation (often a multi-level translation) into English (or whatever your native language is). Translation is inherently imprecise, whatever philosophy is used (word-for-word, "dynamic equivalence", etc.). Often a word-for-word translation will fail to make sense, but they do it anyway (as in the Catholic Douay-Rheims), because anything else is "interpretation", and we can't have that, now can we?

3. Some of it just doesn't make sense no matter what you do with it. It's religion -- you expect it to make sense?