I'm losing my faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 07:49 PM
RE: I'm losing my faith
<cough> Dead Sea Scrolls <cough>

I can't believe it when I see some talking head asking if they will change the buy-bull. FFS, it's all made up by the cherry picking of the "editors".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-03-2016, 07:56 PM
(08-03-2016 07:37 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 03:43 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  The bible has not been and never will be the foundation of Christianity.

On the contrary. Not only was christianity the first religion that practiced exclusivity, (no other gods) but it also created orthodoxy: you had to worship the right god the right way.

Actually this is incorrect. This first happened in Egypt. Over one thousands years before xianity.

Here.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
08-03-2016, 08:01 PM
(08-03-2016 04:41 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  As of 2014 Christians who typically no matter what denomination associate each other as one brethren make up 31.5% of the world population. Do you know of a larger collection of beings?
Bandwagon fallacy.

(08-03-2016 04:41 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  Did you not my see that I have immersed myself in the Bible nearly every day? I guarantee you that I've heard the entirety of the bible more than once. And have read the majority of it but I'm just being honest in saying I doubt I've actually read it all word for word.
No I don't see it. Besides, in one post you say the bible isn't important, in the next you tout your knowledge of it. If i isn't important, how well you know it doesn't matter, does it?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
08-03-2016, 08:02 PM
(08-03-2016 07:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 07:37 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  On the contrary. Not only was christianity the first religion that practiced exclusivity, (no other gods) but it also created orthodoxy: you had to worship the right god the right way.

Actually this is incorrect. This first happened in Egypt. Over one thousands years before xianity.

Here.

Huh. I stand corrected. Thanks!

ETA: Cool article.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
08-03-2016, 08:04 PM
(08-03-2016 08:02 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 07:56 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Actually this is incorrect. This first happened in Egypt. Over one thousands years before xianity.

Here.

Huh. I stand corrected. Thanks!

No problem. History is my thing. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
08-03-2016, 09:26 PM
(08-03-2016 04:41 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  ...
As of 2014 Christians who typically no matter what denomination associate each other as one brethren make up 31.5% of the world population. Do you know of a larger collection of beings?

Yup.

The 68.5% who aren't.

Big Grin

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
08-03-2016, 09:49 PM
So I just popped in to see if the original poster, gameface, had been back to see what he/she started.

Nope? Oh well.

Then the next thing I looked at was ...

(08-03-2016 01:04 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  He also says, “In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end.”
Hebrews 1:10-12 NIV
Niv is probably the most common translation today, feel free to do more research.
Pretty darn close to the 2nd law of thermodynamicsSecond Law of Thermodynamics

and

[Image: y8rsv3amtsbajlwf7zm0.jpe]

Reminded me of Islamic "Science" with its remarkable backward engineering skills.

Also indicative of Islam is the whole "yabut, you've gotta understand the tradition."

(08-03-2016 02:46 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  ...Tradition is really the big crux for most people but, traditional teaching which had been written down just not included in the bible is really the missing part of a full faith for most people. It makes the doctrine of Christianity complete ...

(08-03-2016 03:58 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  ... I definitely can trust the Bible for a lot it's just not foundational. As I said before scriptures combined with tradition is what stands. You need both not Just one or the other.

Yup. That's Islam.
And Judaism too, for that matter.

(08-03-2016 04:12 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 03:58 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  I definitely have read parts if and do use all of the Bible. I definitely can trust the Bible for a lot it's just not foundational. As I said before scriptures combined with tradition is what stands. You need both not Just one or the other.

If that's the case, how is the Bible different from any other holy book or tradition then? How is it different from the Vedas for instance? Or the Egyptian Pyramid Texts?

Nailed it!

The Torah and Talmud.
The NT and centuries of (divergent) traditions.
The Quran and the Sunnah.

All fascinating in the study of memetics but all now detrimental to the advancement of civilisation.

And just to think that it would all go away if people just stopped teaching it for a couple of generations.

If Trump had a policy in favour of compulsory mixed marriages, he'd get my vote.

[Image: spockfascinating.jpg?w=305]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
08-03-2016, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 10:27 PM by Fireball.)
(08-03-2016 09:26 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 04:41 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  ...
As of 2014 Christians who typically no matter what denomination associate each other as one brethren make up 31.5% of the world population. Do you know of a larger collection of beings?

Yup.

The 68.5% who aren't.

Big Grin

BAM!

Also, Baba, those various denominations of xtians don't really associate as "one brethren", and in fact, actively denounce each other. Sorry, lost quarter, please play again.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
08-03-2016, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 11:15 PM by Babakazoo.)
Well.... I can't keep up with all of these. I'm the only one agrees with me here lol so until another post. I was attempting to respond to gameface but that idea fell apart quickly. BTW I do genuinely appreciate a more intelligent crowd then facebook or YouTube. I like my fallacies being called out so I can be a better at debating. I hope that our disagreements don't make me entirely unwanted in this community. I'm sure that when it comes to non transcendental ideas we agree on a lot.
[+] 3 users Like Babakazoo's post
08-03-2016, 11:26 PM
(08-03-2016 11:05 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  Well.... I can't keep up with all of these. I'm the only one agrees with me here lol so until another post. I was attempting to respond to gameface but that idea fell apart quickly. BTW I do genuinely appreciate a more intelligent crowd then facebook or YouTube. I like my fallacies being called out so I can be a better at debating. I hope that our disagreements don't make me entirely unwanted in this community. I'm sure that when it comes to non transcendental ideas we agree on a lot.

I like having different viewpoints on the forum. And you're not the only religious person on here--we have a few on here that are amazingly cool people. So welcome to TTA. I hope you stick around. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post