I'm losing my faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2016, 09:52 AM
RE: I'm losing my faith
(06-03-2016 07:28 AM)gameface Wrote:  I'm really messed up right now, growing up from a Christian home and it's expected for you to go to church and follow the doctrine of the Bible. There are some unsolved questions that are making me doubt my faith in the Bible. Firstly, My problem is when was the dinosaur Era in the Bible? Let's be factual there, those dinosaur remains and bones are clear empirical evidence that they rule the earth at sometime. Secondly, the birth of Isis is the same as that of Jesus which cast alot if doubt that it's not a mere coincidence. I need some clarification on this.

Many credible sources demonstrate that the Bible accounts of creation, the flood, etc., cannot be interpreted absolutely literally, and as well many credible sources demonstrate that at the very least, hero and god stories were, um, overlaid onto the Jesus depicted in the New Testament. This thread will give you lots of leads if you want to find out more!

If you conclude that the Bible is not literally true, what's your next step?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
06-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Welcome! Don't think of it as "losing your faith", instead think of it as discovering that you've been lied to for a large part of your life by well-meaning people who (may) believe the lie, as well. It is especially freeing, as you learn more about the buy-bull and the changes in doctrine over the years.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
06-03-2016, 11:24 AM
(06-03-2016 07:28 AM)gameface Wrote:  I'm really messed up right now, growing up from a Christian home and it's expected for you to go to church and follow the doctrine of the Bible. There are some unsolved questions that are making me doubt my faith in the Bible. Firstly, My problem is when was the dinosaur Era in the Bible? Let's be factual there, those dinosaur remains and bones are clear empirical evidence that they rule the earth at sometime. Secondly, the birth of Isis is the same as that of Jesus which cast alot if doubt that it's not a mere coincidence. I need some clarification on this.

Welcome! I can empathize with your situation. I was raised Roman catholic and am now an atheist.

Religion gives you answers, after it tells you what the questions are.
I'm not going to give you any answers.

What I will do is give you some advice and support. First, the advice.

You are asking legitimate questions. If I tell you the answer, you have no way of knowing if I'm correct or if I'm some atheist trying to lead you astray. So what you want to do is research. Search engines are a good start. Wikipedia is very good. Once you find places that are giving you answers, check their sources. Are the writers authorities in their field? Is the website legitimate? Things like that.

It's daunting, but it's very doable. Take it slow, as slow as you need to. Ask questions here and elsewhere. If you still attend a church, ask your religious leaders.

I'm advising you to ask, research, learn and grow. Take the answers people here have given you and check them out.

As I have made my way to atheism, I've learned that it is quite easy to find questions in regards to the bible, faith, religion, etc. And while secular researchers and scientists often had answers, the religious authorities only offered faith or reasons why the answers were not important. That wasn't enough for me.

Ok, enough advice, now the support.
There are many folks here, myself included that are willing to listen and help. Some of us have left a religion, some were never religious. But we all can offer answers for you to research and more questions for you to ask. We can offer our opinions on various sources and places/people to avoid.

Good luck and welcome!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
06-03-2016, 02:01 PM
(06-03-2016 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed. Over the scheme of things, I don't think it really matters whether or not Jesus was an actual person. I did find, for me, however, when I was coming out of Christianity, allowing myself to question *everything* really helped.

I didn't have that much of a problem; I just sort of drifted out. Because of that, I've never been able to understand the angst and anger I see here. I don't think it's correct to say that we were lied to; the people who indoctrinated us, for the most part, fully believed in what they said. What they did was wrong, but it was an honest mistake. I'm a big believer in picking my battles, and getting angry with someone because they're a flawed human being is a waste of energy.
06-03-2016, 02:15 PM
(06-03-2016 02:01 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed. Over the scheme of things, I don't think it really matters whether or not Jesus was an actual person. I did find, for me, however, when I was coming out of Christianity, allowing myself to question *everything* really helped.

I didn't have that much of a problem; I just sort of drifted out. Because of that, I've never been able to understand the angst and anger I see here. I don't think it's correct to say that we were lied to; the people who indoctrinated us, for the most part, fully believed in what they said. What they did was wrong, but it was an honest mistake. I'm a big believer in picking my battles, and getting angry with someone because they're a flawed human being is a waste of energy.

I wasn't angry at the people who indoctrinated me. I was angry at what the lie cost me. What I mean is, I lived my life for Jesus and God for so long. I made every decision based on WWJD. What would make God happy--not what would make *me* happy. When you find out all of that was a lie and you wasted part of your life doing things for an imaginary sky genie--I think anger at all of that is a normal emotion to have. But I do agree in not wasting time on anger at religion, but I think anger as an initial reaction is totally justified. Of course after all that settled, I started just focusing on my happiness at being free because some people never get that and sadly, spend their entire lives living their existence for an imaginary sky daddy.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-03-2016, 02:57 PM
(06-03-2016 02:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-03-2016 02:01 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I didn't have that much of a problem; I just sort of drifted out. Because of that, I've never been able to understand the angst and anger I see here. I don't think it's correct to say that we were lied to; the people who indoctrinated us, for the most part, fully believed in what they said. What they did was wrong, but it was an honest mistake. I'm a big believer in picking my battles, and getting angry with someone because they're a flawed human being is a waste of energy.

I wasn't angry at the people who indoctrinated me. I was angry at what the lie cost me. What I mean is, I lived my life for Jesus and God for so long. I made every decision based on WWJD. What would make God happy--not what would make *me* happy. When you find out all of that was a lie and you wasted part of your life doing things for an imaginary sky genie--I think anger at all of that is a normal emotion to have. But I do agree in not wasting time on anger at religion, but I think anger as an initial reaction is totally justified. Of course after all that settled, I started just focusing on my happiness at being free because some people never get that and sadly, spend their entire lives living their existence for an imaginary sky daddy.

Well said. And then go into the ground, or what have you, never really having done some things they might have tried, were it not for the blinders.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
06-03-2016, 03:08 PM
(06-03-2016 08:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I know atheists historians like Bart Ehrman is an idiot in your view right? While Carrier and Price must be geniuses? Get off the meth dude.

Hi gameface. Let me introduce you to one of our resident Christians behaving in a most unlike Christ manner. It's typical of many, but not all, Christians here. Christians in name only, not deeds.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-03-2016, 05:21 PM
In addition to the problem of dinosaurs, how did all of them get onto the Ark? A lot of them are enormous. Answer: they didn't. 'Cause there wasn't an Ark.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
06-03-2016, 05:35 PM
(06-03-2016 05:21 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  In addition to the problem of dinosaurs, how did all of them get onto the Ark? A lot of them are enormous. Answer: they didn't. 'Cause there wasn't an Ark.

Were you there????!!!! Laugh out load
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
06-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Noah lived for 950 years according to the babble.

End of story.

And yes, ignore Tomasia. He is not well versed in history.

There are many threads here that can help. Goodwithoutgod has a number of them. As do others.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post