I'm losing my faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-03-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: I'm losing my faith
(08-03-2016 01:40 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's a good commentary on Hebrews 1:10-12 re: what the passage is referring to.

http://usefulbible.com/hebrews/god-decla...is-son.htm

* Also as a side note while I don't believe Hebrews is classified as apocalyptic literature (maybe Bucky or GWG can expand on this), apocalyptic literature was big at this time. This was a theme in the NT in several sections--that the world was coming to an end very soon. This is why you see things written in there like Jesus saying he will come back shortly etc.
Thank you. And I'll look more into apologetic literature. This might be something interesting to learn about.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Babakazoo's post
08-03-2016, 02:01 PM
(08-03-2016 01:57 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 01:40 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Here's a good commentary on Hebrews 1:10-12 re: what the passage is referring to.

http://usefulbible.com/hebrews/god-decla...is-son.htm

* Also as a side note while I don't believe Hebrews is classified as apocalyptic literature (maybe Bucky or GWG can expand on this), apocalyptic literature was big at this time. This was a theme in the NT in several sections--that the world was coming to an end very soon. This is why you see things written in there like Jesus saying he will come back shortly etc.
Thank you. And I'll look more into apologetic literature. This might be something interesting to learn about.

*apocalyptic not apologetic.

I would highly recommend reading Bart Ehrman's The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction. Even if you are a Christian, it is a good book and provides a scholarly approach to how things came to be. I am an ex Christian and I can tell you that I would not have been put off by his book back when I was a Christian. Translation: I did not find it offensive or belittling to my beliefs as a christian or that it was trying to sway me to atheism etc.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-03-2016, 02:09 PM
Sorry, I know this is way off topic but Babakazoos name had this video pop in my head.

Now I can't stop picturing BK as the kid.

Welcome to the conversation btw Kazoo.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
(08-03-2016 01:52 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  What is a non-sequitur in your book then? If anything you can call the non-sequitur on you. I stated that there are fallacious views on the Bible that's it. Never claimed who and why just that there are. You immediately instead question my judgement on people; Not my judgement on the views. This is an obvious diversion from my original statement. A statement not even pointed at you but rather pointed at the one who started this feed.

You stated:
[quote='Babakazoo' pid='957778' dateline='1457391101']
Alright gameface before you buy into the fallacious views on the Bible both from Christians and non Christians you need to step back and learn the faith for yourself.

I replied:
Quote:How do you know that the OP doesn't know their faith?

If you cannot follow that, I can't help you.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
08-03-2016, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2016 02:25 PM by Babakazoo.)
OK I stand corrected. I read it initially as "how do you know that op doesn't know their faith". I thought you were commenting on me saying people in general had fallacious views of the bible. Even then, he initially said he was just expected to follow the doctrine of the bible. If the Bible is the only doctrine than yes the faith has holes in it and I don't blame him for questioning his faith. I would not be a Christian if I believed in sola scriptura.
08-03-2016, 02:29 PM
(08-03-2016 02:21 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  OK I stand corrected. I read it initially as "how do you know that op doesn't know their faith". I thought you were commenting on me saying people in general had fallacious views of the bible. Even then, he initially said he was just expected to follow the doctrine of the bible. If the Bible is the only doctrine than yes the faith has holes in it and I don't blame him for questioning his faith. I would not be a Christian if I believed in sola scriptura.

Where's the rest come from?

The voices in your head?

I ask because at that point - anything beyond literal readings of the texts - everyone else who believes, but believes differently than you do, has just as much justification as you have and can ever have.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
08-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Kazoo, two pages back you said you came to this forum to learn from the opposing side. I'm here, on the opposing side, so what would you like to know? I am a former Christ believer and I am now an atheist. I would be happy to answer any question you may have or engage in any debate you may like. However, please refrain from posting the huge text blocks of cut and paste. Nothing derails good constructive conversation like an Opus you didn't write.

So, how may I help?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
08-03-2016, 02:31 PM
(08-03-2016 02:29 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(08-03-2016 02:21 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  OK I stand corrected. I read it initially as "how do you know that op doesn't know their faith". I thought you were commenting on me saying people in general had fallacious views of the bible. Even then, he initially said he was just expected to follow the doctrine of the bible. If the Bible is the only doctrine than yes the faith has holes in it and I don't blame him for questioning his faith. I would not be a Christian if I believed in sola scriptura.

Where's the rest come from?

The voices in your head?

Okay that seriously made me spit out my drink Laugh out load
08-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Cjlr yes, especially that deep booming one.

Willhopp OK well mostly been just reading people's reasoning for different things, I'm no doctor, I don't even have a college degree so I am probably not as good as debating as many on here. I'll start by just asking you why all the way to atheism? Like what made you disregard any God of any sort?
08-03-2016, 02:44 PM
(08-03-2016 02:36 PM)Babakazoo Wrote:  Cjlr yes, especially that deep booming one.

I was joking, but it doesn't answer the substance of the post.

Why should any of us take your purely subjective feelings as more reliable than the purely subjective feelings of billions of other religious people, who disagree with you on literally every matter of faith and doctrine imaginable?

... this is my signature!