I'm losing my mind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm losing my mind
I am losing my bloody mind because I think I am becoming an Anti-theist. In the past I have tried to be very P.C. and respectful of other people's beliefs, but I'm beginning to lose it. Angry In school, we began the religion unit today, and we started by watching a video. The video basically showed several kids of different religions getting along together, and several clips were shown of children worshiping and being baptized. I was disgusted. The dogmatic mythologies of their brain-dead parents were forced upon their young before they're old enough to even walk. They are raised to be conforming, unquestioning slaves to their ancestry, and to spread their insanity to their offspring. The video ended with some stereotypical nice guy talking about getting together, and how the only way for there to be world peace was for people of different faiths to get along. NO! The only way there is going to world peace is if insane fools like these stop indoctrinating their children, and going to war with people who believe in other ridiculous myths. I feel terrible because I wonder if this is the way a bigot thinks, and I am just giving myself an excuse to hate theism.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like TSG's post
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
RE: I'm losing my mind
I support you 100% in your adoption of antitheism! Thumbsup

And no, I don't think it is bigoted to recognize a destructive, manipulative, and exploitative force and feel a desire to combat it. I think you are showing compassion.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't have had fun sitting though that either Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
(03-12-2013 05:07 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  I am losing my bloody mind because I think I am becoming an Anti-theist. In the past I have tried to be very P.C. and respectful of other people's beliefs, but I'm beginning to lose it. Angry In school, we began the religion unit today, and we started by watching a video. The video basically showed several kids of different religions getting along together, and several clips were shown of children worshiping and being baptized. I was disgusted. The dogmatic mythologies of their brain-dead parents were forced upon their young before they're old enough to even walk. They are raised to be conforming, unquestioning slaves to their ancestry, and to spread their insanity to their offspring. The video ended with some stereotypical nice guy talking about getting together, and how the only way for there to be world peace was for people of different faiths to get along. NO! The only way there is going to world peace is if insane fools like these stop indoctrinating their children, and going to war with people who believe in other ridiculous myths. I feel terrible because I wonder if this is the way a bigot thinks, and I am just giving myself an excuse to hate theism.

You are responding to delusion and irrationality with reason.

Carry on. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes those clips can be annoying. I think that sometimes it's important to look at things from the perspective of a theist to calm yourself down, this might be very difficult if you've never been a believer. IMHO it's easy to be upset at liberal videos like that, but I think distinguishing those from the hard fundie propaganda is important to have in mind and who to direct your anger towards.
Some people make the case that liberal religion gives the fundies room to play. I'm sure this happens but it can also work as a bridge from theism into skepticism.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
03-12-2013, 05:33 PM
You're smart to realize how harmful religion is, especially when it's forced on kids at a very young age. You do not sound like a bigot at all - just a reasonable person who is concerned for the future of humanity. Yes, do carry on.
03-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Ain't gonna happen. Religion is gonna be here for the long haul. The only hope is to get rid of literal interpretations of the bible and other holy books. Long for the day all these religions go to the realm of pure mythology where it ultimately always was.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(03-12-2013 05:07 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  I am losing my bloody mind because I think I am becoming an Anti-theist. In the past I have tried to be very P.C. and respectful of other people's beliefs, but I'm beginning to lose it. Angry In school, we began the religion unit today, and we started by watching a video. The video basically showed several kids of different religions getting along together, and several clips were shown of children worshiping and being baptized. I was disgusted. The dogmatic mythologies of their brain-dead parents were forced upon their young before they're old enough to even walk. They are raised to be conforming, unquestioning slaves to their ancestry, and to spread their insanity to their offspring. The video ended with some stereotypical nice guy talking about getting together, and how the only way for there to be world peace was for people of different faiths to get along. NO! The only way there is going to world peace is if insane fools like these stop indoctrinating their children, and going to war with people who believe in other ridiculous myths. I feel terrible because I wonder if this is the way a bigot thinks, and I am just giving myself an excuse to hate theism.

I have increasingly become the same. I wanted to live in peace and be accepting of religion but religion has consistently and constantly remained the excuse to kill one another because one imaginary friend does not like another imaginary friend. It bothers me greatly and I just have such a feeling of disappointment seeing people be killed, tortured or even simply discriminated in ridiculously religious countries. It bothers me because you are right. Parents unfortunately indoctrinate their children not to think or to question but sometimes to believe in blindly and even further more is absolutely despise others because of other ideas.

The different ideologies cannot get along because they haven't for about a thousand years. Do I wish for peace? Absolutely. Unfortunately religion calls for war and the less fortunate parts of the world become slaves to religion and excuse brutal acts because it is for their personal deity.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 3 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
03-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Yup, I have been there myself. Luckily, one of the guys sitting a few rows over said "bullshit" at the end of the video. That started a very interesting discussion for the remainder of the class that day. It would have spilled over for several sessions if the instructor were not religious himself. As it turns out, most of the class were either indifferent or atheist. It was one of the more interesting days in that laborious and mind numbing class.

Feeling a bit hostile about religion is perfectly fine. In fact, it is recommended by most of us. Why should we be so understanding and quiet? They certainly aren't. Call the chips as they lay IMO.

These types of ideas are often used as lawyer speak in classes like this. If they treated all religion as nothing more than myth, a lawsuit is bound to be right around the corner. Some zealot is assuredly going to be upset about his coveted deity being run down by "the man". I guess it is a compromise. There is no way that religion is going to go away in our lifetimes. So, it would undoubtedly be better if folks would simply get along. But, that is not going to happen either. I can see absolutely no reason to be all mushy about something that is only there to cover one's butt. I am a realist. In reality, the only way to kill the religious violence and hate is to kill the religion itself. Therefore, if it stinks, call it crap and be glad you know the difference!

"Your mind is twice a valuable as your body. And your ears are twice as valuable as your mouth. People will pay you based on which you use." - A very smart old lawyer
03-12-2013, 11:46 PM
No, you aren't losing your mind.

It's terribly difficult being the only sane person in a roomful of nutjobs.

[Image: Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop