I'm losing my un-faith!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm losing my un-faith!
I put this in another section but someone suggested I start a new thread so maybe I can get some help with my problem...Huh

I was never anything but an atheist.
My parents weren't into religion when I was young but allowed me to go to Sunday School for I dunno what church and I only wanted to go because I liked the morning teas they laid out and I was good at the crafts and doing the end of year plays.

When I was a teenager I remember saying to a neighbour lady who was my mum's best friend for a while that I believed in "Man, Not God."
I started to worship the devil for a while before my older brother told me he'd come and get me one day.
Then I pretty much didn't believe in anything.

I got married in a Catholic Cathedral, for the drama of course.
My hubby and I had to do some course back then and promise to have our kids, when they came along, baptised, which we never did. Oops.

About 10 years ago my parents became Jehovah's Witnesses.
They lived about 2 hours drive from me so I had no idea what was going on, mum never mentioned anything about it on our frequent phone calls.
This was before I even had a computer but they had one and all I knew was they had joined a computer club.
This slippery fellow who had been visiting them since I was a kid finally got his hooks into them.
There were times this JW would come when my dad wasn't home and my mum and I would hide behind the couch until he was gone. Now she calls him brother!

I started to re-read the bible just so I had ammo to throw at them.
A lot of the time it worked and sometimes it didn't because they were learning the bible too as well as the Watchtower and Awake!

Fast forward time and now my parents live in the same town as me. They sold their big property to be with me and my family which was wise on their behalf because we live in a country city with everything an elderly person could want and it's all only 5 minutes drive from their house, whereas before it took half an hour to get to the nearest town.

My father got quite depressed when they moved here. He missed the bush and the mates he made in his previous congregation.
My dad was a bit of a loner and had no friends really apart from my mum who was the love of his life and the brothers and sisters of the JWs.

I talked to my dad constantly about the JWs and why they had joined and why I'd never heard him talk about God before or taught me about him as a kid. Instead he'd taught me to be a strong woman, a questioning woman, one who didn't take things on face value just because someone said so but to look into things for myself.
He became my 'pastor' of sorts. We discussed Jehovah and everything and he managed to explain things to me in a way that I could understand but I just couldn't step over that threshold into faith and belief.

Then my dad died last November. He was quite old but it was sudden though it took a week for him to die.
My whole family thinks that was the last gift he gave us - the ability to want to let him go because he was suffering.
I read parts of his bible to him as he lay dying, I know he would have been happy to hear it.

Then there was the JW funeral which pissed me right off as the bloke who got up to talk about my dad was the same that got them into it and after 30 years still couldn't pronounce the name of my parents home town or my first name.

Fast forward again, my mum is alone, back from a holiday to get away from things and I start to take her to the Kingdom Hall.
All the JWs know I'm an atheist and surprisingly they don't care! They welcome me, give me tracts or whatever to read and are as friendly as anything!
Then I realise they are love-bombing me.

I have talks with them and go to meetings with my mum and these people cannot believe that I cannot believe! But they are very good about it.
I ask them questions and they ask me, we're at a stalemate so I go to You Tube for answers.

Forget the JWs, I found Ray Comfort!!! And I think I'm getting sucked in!
His views are preposterous and his tactics are lame but yet I find myself scoffing less and listening more. And I really don't like it. What if he's right?
What if Kent Hovind is right? I found him a while ago too. We don't have these people here in Australia, so I look them up on You Tube.

Okay, so I know Kent is wrong and I'm sure Ray is wrong too but my un-faith is shaken and that's what's wrong with me. Please help!

Sorry this post was so long.

I'm a happy little vegemite. Hobo
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Annette's post
20-10-2015, 10:28 PM
RE: I'm losing my un-faith!
Just remember if there is a god he is a fucked up bastard who has killed millions of innocent people and allowed terrible injustices in his name. Why would an all powerful, loving god do that? Other than that, most religions are just copied from prior mythology. There have been thousands of belief systems and even more gods throughout history, and none of them have any good evidence.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 2 users Like Imathinker's post
20-10-2015, 10:38 PM
What is it that Ray and Kent are telling you that you find is shaking your "un-belief"?

Are you becoming convinced that God really did make bananas to fit the human hand?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 8 users Like Stark Raving's post
20-10-2015, 10:39 PM
I am sorry about your dad. Hug

I am a former Christian/Catholic and I am sad to say I listened to Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron when I was a believer. And I was all about Candace Cameron Bure Facepalm

A little background on Ray and Kent--they are not biblical scholars. Ray Comfort wrote a book on "scientific facts" found in the Bible. He is not a scientist--which you will become ever so aware of if you read that book. I laughed my way through it and it helped tremendously in my deconversion.

Ray is also known as the "banana man." If you check him out on you tube, you will laugh your way through those videos as well.

Kent Hovind believes dinosaurs and humans roamed the earth together and uses examples like the Loch Ness monster to explain how that could have happened. Double Facepalm Hovind was also found guilty of tax fraud.

If you have questions about passages or want to learn more about the Bible, read books written by scholars without the woo. Books by Ehrman, Avalos, and Carrier to name a few.
20-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Quote:What if he's right?
What if Kent Hovind is right?

Why would either of them be right?
20-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Maybe post some examples of their reasoning here...because most people here know more about the bible than either of those charlatans and can tell you why it's false.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
20-10-2015, 11:29 PM
Is your husband a JW too?

Christian sorta model is:
  • God made you.
  • God wants you to be good.
  • But you are bad.
  • Blood sacrifice is the only way to appease God!
  • But Jesus died to be a "final blood sacrifice" for everyone. Yaaay.
  • Not everyone, only those who believe. Boo.

Ask yourself
  • Am I really that bad of a person? Really? Just because I can't follow some arbitrary rules laid out 2000 years ago?
  • Why would sacrifice appease God?
  • Why would God who is so loving, only save a few?
  • Is there any evidence to back up the claims that the evangelists make?

Also bear in mind that JWs are the ones who refuse blood transfusions to their kids and that kind of nonsense... While it's not an argument against the correctness of their worldview, I'd be extremely wary of a crowd who would see nothing wrong with denying others access to medical care, based on some obscure bible verse.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Lolwut ?
Out of all the people , it is Ray comfort who is starting to convince you?
Like, really ? Seriously ?
We are talking about the same guy right?
The guy that said the banana was the perfect example of intelligent design?
Are you shitting me?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
20-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Maybe he has changed tactics?
Give examples of his reasoning that is convincing you, and maybe I can be bothered to refute them.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
20-10-2015, 11:41 PM
Kent Hovind must be the single worst fraud to ever use the word "science". I've met him, back in college, and helped a professor in my biology department combat his dishonest tactics directly. He has a lot of competition for the title, but seriously, if you can find someone who has lied more in the promotion of their ideologies, I'd like to read about them. He has about as much knowledge of the findings of the biological community as my nine-year-old (arguably less, since I am a former biologist and my fiancee, his mother, still is one).

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post