I'm losing my un-faith!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2015, 04:48 PM
RE: I'm losing my un-faith!
(25-10-2015 05:30 PM)Annette Wrote:  I guess it really boils down to I want to believe because I feel lonely.
I'm happy with my husband and kids but the kids are older now and don't need me and my hubby does his own thing.
I have no other friends and I'm not involved with the community and I'm not really the kind of person who wants to be involved with the community but when I see my mum surrounded by her friends from her congregation I suppose I feel a bit jealous and feel like I'd like a bit of that.
No amount of searching is going to make me believe in god, I know that but I want the feeling my mum and others with faith get from knowing god.
I don't even have an online community anymore since the last site I was on went belly up and everyone went their separate ways.
I'm hoping to find a home here with like-minded people. Smile

This is a common reason people turn to faith, religion, etc. I would recommend (if I could offer some advice) to sort those feelings out first, instead of turning to religion. Or belief in a deity, because I did that for a while when I was down or feeling lonely, and it wasn't the right reasons to turn back to faith. Belief in a deity or lack of belief in one, should be something that isn't based on emotion. Often, people turn away from faith ...for some of the reasons that people turn towards it...based on emotion, solely. So, that's just my advice, fwiw...this is a great site, where everyone is nurturing and supportive, and many have been exactly where you are. Me included, at one time.

Hope it all works out, however it should. Heart

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
01-11-2015, 06:20 PM
You're such a sweetheart, Deidre.

Because of that sense of community, I helped to found and expand an atheist organization in my mid-20s, which is still prospering (even though I no longer live there), and we did many of the things the Christians do-- I even came up with the idea to do "covered dish suppers" (as we called them down South... most say "pot luck dinners") at my house, with everyone bringing something and us watching a theme-movie together and just generally socializing. We would even watch things that were critical of atheism, because it's so helpful to question your own beliefs by seeing how it looks from the outside. My house would get so full, some days, that I literally feared structural failure. It was wonderful! Smile

Look for atheist or Secular Humanist meeting groups, in your area. If there are none, there are dozens of things you can do to increase your sense of community by participating in something bigger than just you. Try community theatre, for instance. Even if you can't sing or act, there is always, always a need for technical crew, costume makers/designers, set builders/strikers, ushers, etc. You might learn a great many things you never thought you'd learn about!

You can, as has been suggested, volunteer your spare time to a worthy organization. If you don't feel a sense of community and support from that, I don't know what else would help!

Finally, when I moved alone to this tiny, hyper-religious new town where I currently reside (and aim to leave ASAP), I joined a weekly gaming group, playing some D&D and BattleTech, old games from my teens that I still enjoy on occasion. The social elements were at least as important to me as the game itself, and helped me get to know some of the few good (non-religious-fanatic) people around here. Nerds may be religious, but we are raaaaaaaarely hyper-religious. That may not be a good solution, based on you saying your kids are grown (you might just be my age, if you started early enough- I am 39), but I'm sure there's some equivalent. Find out if you like to shoot pistols, or ride horses, or crochet, or quilt, or hiking in new locales. There are groups for everything, here on Teh Interwebz™.

And don't discount the people here at TTA. There is a wonderful sense of community I feel from this board, and its sister board, AtheistForums.org, which has helped me immensely.

As Deidre said, if you want to be religious, that is absolutely between you and your conscience, and no one should influence you one way or the other... but becoming religious because you are lonely strikes me as a Terrible Idea™.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-11-2015, 07:59 PM
(20-10-2015 10:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am sorry about your dad. Hug

I am a former Christian/Catholic and I am sad to say I listened to Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron when I was a believer. And I was all about Candace Cameron Bure Facepalm

A little background on Ray and Kent--they are not biblical scholars. Ray Comfort wrote a book on "scientific facts" found in the Bible. He is not a scientist--which you will become ever so aware of if you read that book. I laughed my way through it and it helped tremendously in my deconversion.

Ray is also known as the "banana man." If you check him out on you tube, you will laugh your way through those videos as well.

Kent Hovind believes dinosaurs and humans roamed the earth together and uses examples like the Loch Ness monster to explain how that could have happened. Double Facepalm Hovind was also found guilty of tax fraud.

If you have questions about passages or want to learn more about the Bible, read books written by scholars without the woo. Books by Ehrman, Avalos, and Carrier to name a few.
Or you could read the chapters and books in their entirety using conscious thought and your conscience to decipher and lead you. Relying on third party interpretation can lead to a manipulated view. Never take ones word for anything. Find out for yourself.
01-11-2015, 08:06 PM
Mathilda,

That has little to do with Faith. One can believe in science and God. There is no mandatory seperation of the two.
01-11-2015, 08:15 PM
(21-10-2015 06:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You have been through a lot. I am so glad you are doing well now.

There are a few members in here (myself included) who do still read and study the Bible as an atheist. I wouldn't mind starting an Atheist Bible study thread. Obviously, there would be no woo--instead, we could look at it from a literary/historical/cultural/scholarly point of view. So if you and others are interested, maybe we could start something like that up.

What is it that you are finding convincing about Kent or Ray? None of their statements are scientifically accurate. Is it just the commandments test? If you listen carefully, he never let's anyone get a word in edge-wise. He also twists their words and edits his videos to make it look like he got the upper hand. If you want to see him put on the spot--there's a good debate between atheists and Ray/Kirk on you tube. If you haven't seen it already, I'll see if I can find it for you.
I would be interested in your an atheistic bible study. I would do my best to leave the "woo" at the door. Just sayin.

Peace.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
01-11-2015, 08:16 PM
It is a shame that some believers refute that God created all and works through many, some doctors included.
02-11-2015, 06:42 AM
One cannot lose their "unfaithful". Faith per se does not enter into atheism in any way, shape or form. If you erroneously believe that by being an atheist, you're simply lacking faith in a deity, then it means you're not quite clear on the terminology.

Atheism is the acceptance that there is no credible scientific or factually reliable evidence for the existence of gods, supernatural entities, or quasi-religious phenomena.

As for quackmeisters Hovind and Comfort...

"Before being sentenced to ten years in a federal prison [for fraud], young Earth creationist Kent Hovind offered $250,000 to anyone who "can give any empirical evidence (scientific proof) for evolution." What Hovind considers scientific evidence indicates either his ignorance of science or his duplicity. To get the cash, one must "prove beyond reasonable doubt that the process of evolution [...] is the only possible way the observed phenomena could have come into existence.
[...]
Theoretically, there is no limit to the number of possible explanations for any observed phenomenon or set of phenomena. It is logically impossible to prove that one explanation for the existence of all the various species on our planet is the only possible explanation. So, Hovind's money was safe from the beginning."

"Young Earth Christian evangelist Ray Comfort's latest stunt, a website, has been set up [...]. It's called Don't Diss Darwin and it's run by Eugenie Scott's National Center for Science Education. In case you haven't heard, Comfort is distributing free copies of Darwin's Origin of Species on college campuses. These copies, however, have a long introduction by Comfort that is "full of mistakes, half truths, untruths, muddled logic, old creationist arguments, misleadingly excerpted quotations, and ill-framed analogies—plus a good dose of fire and brimstone at the end."

Comfort's traveling buddy in Jesus, actor Kirk Cameron, is famous for claiming that evolutionists think that a member of one species gave birth to a member of a new species "millions of times."
If evolution is correct, say Comfort and Cameron, then there should be transitional species like the crocoduck."

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTw2AGPpU7gryIQOfeg7Jc...5Ie0hu_LhQ]

Excerpts and image from The Skeptic's Dictionary Copyright 1994-2015 Robert T. Carroll.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
02-11-2015, 04:52 PM
(01-11-2015 07:59 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 10:39 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I am sorry about your dad. Hug

I am a former Christian/Catholic and I am sad to say I listened to Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron when I was a believer. And I was all about Candace Cameron Bure Facepalm

A little background on Ray and Kent--they are not biblical scholars. Ray Comfort wrote a book on "scientific facts" found in the Bible. He is not a scientist--which you will become ever so aware of if you read that book. I laughed my way through it and it helped tremendously in my deconversion.

Ray is also known as the "banana man." If you check him out on you tube, you will laugh your way through those videos as well.

Kent Hovind believes dinosaurs and humans roamed the earth together and uses examples like the Loch Ness monster to explain how that could have happened. Double Facepalm Hovind was also found guilty of tax fraud.

If you have questions about passages or want to learn more about the Bible, read books written by scholars without the woo. Books by Ehrman, Avalos, and Carrier to name a few.
Or you could read the chapters and books in their entirety using conscious thought and your conscience to decipher and lead you. Relying on third party interpretation can lead to a manipulated view. Never take ones word for anything. Find out for yourself.

Thinking a magical being is guiding you is relying on a third party interpretation.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-11-2015, 04:55 PM
(01-11-2015 08:15 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 06:44 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You have been through a lot. I am so glad you are doing well now.

There are a few members in here (myself included) who do still read and study the Bible as an atheist. I wouldn't mind starting an Atheist Bible study thread. Obviously, there would be no woo--instead, we could look at it from a literary/historical/cultural/scholarly point of view. So if you and others are interested, maybe we could start something like that up.

What is it that you are finding convincing about Kent or Ray? None of their statements are scientifically accurate. Is it just the commandments test? If you listen carefully, he never let's anyone get a word in edge-wise. He also twists their words and edits his videos to make it look like he got the upper hand. If you want to see him put on the spot--there's a good debate between atheists and Ray/Kirk on you tube. If you haven't seen it already, I'll see if I can find it for you.
I would be interested in your an atheistic bible study. I would do my best to leave the "woo" at the door. Just sayin.

Peace.

Sure, the atheist bible study can be open to anyone who wants to do it Big Grin You are more than welcome to join, pops Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
02-11-2015, 07:49 PM
(02-11-2015 04:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(01-11-2015 07:59 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Or you could read the chapters and books in their entirety using conscious thought and your conscience to decipher and lead you. Relying on third party interpretation can lead to a manipulated view. Never take ones word for anything. Find out for yourself.

Thinking a magical being is guiding you is relying on a third party interpretation.
How? I am one party. God is another. That's two....