I'm needy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2017, 04:20 PM
RE: I'm needy
(10-02-2017 09:36 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 09:21 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't understand that thinking. Sleep deprivation is not a pretty sight. The meds are far less detrimental. I experience no side effects except sweet sweet sleep. Why would I stop taking it? I'm not gonna stop taking my metformin just because my sugars are under control. Benzos are another one I hear people raging about. Wife's been on them for years. If it works as advertised with no adverse effects why should she stop?

Exactly!

Speaking of, I read an article yesterday about a woman, a representative of a Danish organization concerned with depression even, talking about how SSRI's hadn't consistently helped her and how she felt liberated by quitting taking them.
I've heard things like this several times before, that you might as well not take the meds, giving the impression that anti-depressants are no good, and that you can be just as healthy without them.
This upsets me a lot. The implication is that depression is just something imaginary, and that it therefor is best to quit the meds and stop imagining yourself to be sick.
Suffering from depression, the believe from others that you should just "snap out of it" is detrimental. It's like telling diabetics to just get over it instead of taking that side effect ridden insulin stuff. And it makes depressed people feel terrible for not being able to just get over themselves! I've had so many years lost to this way of thinking! We are a lot of people who have had our lives saved by drugs. Just because the disease is of the brain, not of another part of the body, doesn't make it less valid.
Okay. Rant over. Got it out of my system now. I've been upset about that article since I read it yesterday.
I think some people have better experiences on drugs than others and they tend to be invested in their experiences as normative for others. It's why people so often give unsolicited advice ("oh, you have lumbago? You just need to do what I did, took a milk bath and it fixed me right up"). If it was "liberating" for this woman to get off SSRIs I have no reason to disbelieve her but she cannot conclude from that, that this is best for everyone, or that SSRIs are bunk, or that depression is a matter of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps.

Trust me, my wife and I went to every conceivable doctor and tried every conceivable drug and treatment, both approved and experimental, on and off-label, for her rare neuroimmune illness, and at the end of the day, if it works for YOU, you should take it and not presume that it will work, much less work the same, for anyone else. Indeed you should not presume it will always work the same even for you.

I'll never forget her main doctor, who was a prince among men. When he tried some textbook approach and it didn't work (usually my wife just had a terrible reaction of some kind) he would sigh and say, "well, your body hasn't read the same textbooks and research papers I have; we'll just have to try something else". That sort of epistemological humility is rare in doctors. They typically get all huffy when things don't work, and have a tendency to assume the blame lies with the patient somehow.

In more recent years my current wife and I went through the same tiresome process of trial and error for medications / treatments for a couple of our children, this time in the realm of mental health. It's the same deal there, you just have to keep tuning and tweaking both doctors and treatments until you find something that works.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply