I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 03:12 AM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(31-05-2017 03:05 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Oh really? I've not heard that about UK psychics. I hope that is true, same goes for mediums and all such crap. From what I've heard though, such people don't make this clear to customers. I have a friend who bases her decisions on what the medium has said her deceased daughter is saying.

Indeed, supplying "psychic" readings has to be some sort of trade description violation since they are unable to demonstrate they are providing any such thing.

Don't think the full info is in here, although it was done some time ago by the looks of it. It basically means the psychics/mediums can't basically promise you anything, under threat of being sued/jailed for being fraudulent.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/apr/06/eu

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 03:13 AM
(30-05-2017 09:16 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I'd be glad to. One of the evidences is this: Something cannot come from nothing.

"Coming from" requires time in place already. It's meaningless in that context.
And things do come from nothing. Virtual particles.

You don't know there was "nothing". Roger Penrose, (Hawking's friend) thinks there is an endless series of bangs and re-bangs. You're using "common sense" (intuitive) logic. We know at it's most fundamental, reality is not intuitive, (relativity, uncertainty, some math).
To believe that something actually comes from nothing is to believe in magic.
And each and every one of those seemingly endless big bangs have a cause. What is the first cause?
31-05-2017, 03:14 AM
Oak Tree:

Thanks yeah, I've been having a look and found this:

https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/blog/happy...al-workers

I know the medium I referenced claims to be talking to the dead. I would imagine that is something they should not be stating. I wonder how that would pan out.

Dog: They all have a cause, why? Because you say so? How can you possibly know anything about the inception of realities, if such a thing ever even happened?

What is "God"? What does it mean? It appears to be a placeholder for a lack of knowledge and nothing more.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2017, 03:19 AM
Rob: Yeah, I think stuff like that needs to be looked into a bit more, I'm not sure what the laws are in different countries. To be honest, if you find solace in the fact you think your dead relative is sending you messages from beyond, then why not. But I think deep down EVERYBODY knows it's total shite.

And Dog: In fairness we don't know what came before the big bang, but at least atheist will say "we don't know, but we're trying to find out" rather than "God did it, case closed".

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
31-05-2017, 03:19 AM
(31-05-2017 01:55 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 05:03 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Well she is pretty rich. It cost me about $250 to talk to her for an hour. And she has lots and lots of clients
Crikey, I'm in the wrong job...Blink

(30-05-2017 05:05 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I know that atheists don't believe in any gods, I'm just trying to figure out why.
Because there is no evidence to do so.

(30-05-2017 05:08 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  How did she know so much about me then?
It's called cold reading. They can suggest something very basic to you, and see what reaction you give, hence why she's not "all
knowing"....its because she doesn't know at all. That and depending on when you organised this she probably gave you a google and looked at all your social media accounts as well.

Another lesson in "logic", how can a person be Psychic yet not know everything? You can't pick up some things and not others...surely you either "have the power" or you don't at all?

There have been multiple tests done on multiple supposed psychics and they've all found to be total garbage. I might be wrong, but in the UK if
you are a psychic, you have to legally tell somebody its for entertainment purposes only, after a court ruled it to be not real.

I could go on, but you've dug a deep hole here
chief.
Actually, not that I don't love my late grandmother but I posted nothing about her on any of my social media accounts.
31-05-2017, 03:22 AM
These things are always the same.

"Because of how things seem to me (everything needs a cause) there is an apparent need for infinite regress. Since I deem infinite regress impossible, there must be an exception to the thing I originally stated."

If there are one or more exceptions, it's not a rule, and there is no need to worry about infinite regression. Our reality could simply be an exception. Or not, we don't know. That's the point. No one knows, and to claim they do is just speculation.

Trying to claim knowledge beyond an alleged cause of our reality, is speculation upon speculation and is entering the realm of pure fantasy. Extrapolation is not realiable, and this is about as an extreme example of it as you can get: trying to apply everyday logic and results of observations to events we have no ability to yet measure in any way at all.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 03:22 AM
(31-05-2017 03:14 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Oak Tree:

Thanks yeah, I've been having a look and found this:

https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/blog/happy...al-workers

I know the medium I referenced claims to be talking to the dead. I would imagine that is something they should not be stating. I wonder
how that would pan out.

Dog: They all have a cause, why? Because you say so? How can you possibly know anything about the inception of realities, if such a thing
ever even happened?

What is "God"? What does it mean? It appears to be a placeholder for a lack of knowledge and nothing more.

What ever not had a cause?
31-05-2017, 03:24 AM
(31-05-2017 03:19 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Actually, not that I don't love my late grandmother but I posted nothing about her on any of my social media accounts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading < have a look, most likely what went on. No offence honestly, but psychics are garbage mate. It's a trick, and it's always been a trick to con people out of money. Some people are better at it than others, but it's a well know fact its total crap, and as mentioned before in the UK its even LEGALLY known to be total crap mate.

Nobody in the history of humanity has ever had the power this women suggests. I mentioned it before, but if you really think about it, why can she tell you one thing and not another thing? Surely it's either you have the power or not? Not "I have a bit of the power", that's just stupid.

31-05-2017, 03:24 AM
(31-05-2017 03:19 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Rob: Yeah, I think stuff like that needs to be looked into a bit more, I'm not sure what the laws are in different countries. To be honest, if you find solace in the fact you think your dead relative is sending you messages from beyond, then why not. But I think deep down EVERYBODY knows it's total shite.

And Dog: In fairness we don't know what came before the big bang, but at least atheist will say "we don't know, but we're trying to find out" rather than "God did it, case closed".
But the reason why you don't know is because you'll never find out, because it's a logical impossibility otherwise
31-05-2017, 03:27 AM
(31-05-2017 03:19 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Rob: Yeah, I think stuff like that needs to be looked into a bit more, I'm not sure what the laws are in different countries. To be honest, if you find solace in the fact you think your dead relative is sending you messages from beyond, then why not. But I think deep down EVERYBODY knows it's total shite.

Sure yeah, I wouldn't try to stop people believing this wizard can really talk to the dead. But even if they do, the wizard should not make such a claim. In fact, it seems to me they are obliged to give a disclaimer or else they are simply going ahead and "doing" something they can't possibly demonstrate.

This is very interesting. I've said for years these frauds should be regulated properly, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see some attempt was made. I'd love to know how it works out in practice. I imagine when they see a sucker coming they know there will be no pushback and skip certain legalities.