I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 03:43 AM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(31-05-2017 03:37 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:32 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I know what a cold reading is, it's when a fraudulent psychic deceives you into stating
facts about yourself and then simply repeating them. But that's not what happened in my case, I said nothing, I let her do all the talking
because I knew a cold reading was possible.
And actually, a genuine psychic gets their information from spirits and the reason why they don't get it right exactly 100% of the time is because their ability to interpret what the spirits
are saying isn't perfect. But she knew ALOT about me, very personal things she shouldn't have known.

Clearly you DON'T know what cold reading is. They also take queues from facial changes to what they've said and body movement. Again,
she could have also looked up basic information on you from the internet very easily. I would highly suggest reading that link mate, there are some very good examples of what cold reading really is.

I really don't to shatter your world here dude, but there is not such thing as a 'genuine' psychic, because its all total shit.
It was over the phone so there were no facial expressions to que her with.
And I even looked up my grandmother online and I don't see anything she could've used for a reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 03:45 AM
(31-05-2017 03:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:37 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Oak: I imagine mist people do know it's shit, but I've met several people (including my friend) who I think would swear it is real. I have a lot of difficulty having conversations with such people on these subjects.
Fair enough, might be worth point that out to them, that here in the UK it's even now legally known to be total garbage.

I agree in principle, but I think they are too entrenched to be bothered by anything anyone has to say. The woman who visits the medium would probably throw me out of her house if I even suggested it.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2017, 03:46 AM
(31-05-2017 03:38 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:34 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I know that me merely saying the words doesn't make me right but logically I'm right. I'm right on what is most likely true.

Based on what? We have literally no data about what happened before a certain point. How can you know what is most likely true about it?

How do you know that what we perceive as logical still holds up even?

You don't believe what you see with your own eyes?
31-05-2017, 03:49 AM
(31-05-2017 03:45 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:38 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Fair enough, might be worth point that out to them, that here in the UK it's even now legally known to be total garbage.

I agree in principle, but I think they are too entrenched to be bothered by anything anyone has to say. The woman who visits the medium
would probably throw me out of her house if I even suggested it.

I wouldn't throw you out.
31-05-2017, 03:50 AM
(31-05-2017 03:40 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  It's impossible to make a vacuum that has absolutely nothing in it.
And I don't feel conned at all, in fact, I could've asked for a refund if I wanted to but I knew she was genuine so I didn't.
You should ask for a refund, because you WERE conned. Again if you believe it, that's fine, but there really is not such thing mate. Sorry to break it to you.

(31-05-2017 03:43 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  It was over the phone so there were no facial expressions to que her with.
And I even looked up my grandmother online and I don't see anything she could've used for a reading.
Would you agree, that it's probably not that hard to look up a person via social media....then find their parents, and look at local records to see who their parents are and if they are alive/deceased and when they died? Again, if you want to believe, be my guest, but you've bee conned...and over the phone no less.

(31-05-2017 03:45 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I agree in principle, but I think they are too entrenched to be bothered by anything anyone has to say. The woman who visits the medium would probably throw me out of her house if I even suggested it.
HA, fair enough rob Tongue

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
31-05-2017, 03:53 AM
(31-05-2017 03:46 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:38 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Based on what? We have literally no data about what happened before a certain point. How can you know what is most likely true about it?

How do you know that what we perceive as logical still holds up even?

You don't believe what you see with your own eyes?

I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen anything that happened before this certain point, nor has anyone else. You're just assuming that things before this point behave how you imagine they would, based on your experiences.

Clearly even you don't believe that everything needs a cause, because you posit a "God" that doesn't have one as a solution. I again invite you to define what "God" even means.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 03:58 AM
(31-05-2017 03:50 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:40 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  It's impossible to make a vacuum that has absolutely nothing in it.
And I don't feel conned at all, in fact, I could've asked for a refund if I wanted to but I knew she was genuine so I didn't.
You should ask for a refund, because you WERE conned. Again if you believe it, that's fine, but there really is not such thing mate.
Sorry to break it to you.

(31-05-2017 03:43 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  It was over the phone so there were no facial
expressions to que her with.

Would you agree, that it's probably not that hard to look up a person via social media....then find their parents, and look at local records to see who their parents are and if they are
alive/deceased and when they died? Again, if you want to believe, be my guest, but you've bee conned...and over the phone no less.

(31-05-2017 03:45 AM)Robvalue
dateline='1496223910' Wrote:  
I agree in principle, but I think they are too entrenched to be bothered by anything anyone has to say. The woman who visits the medium would probably throw me out of her house if I
even suggested it.
HA, fair enough rob Tongue
My parents don't have Facebook (My mom gets jealous when my dad talks to other women so they both agreed not to have one)
31-05-2017, 04:01 AM
(31-05-2017 03:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:46 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  You don't believe what you see with your own eyes?

I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen anything that happened before this certain point, nor has anyone else. You're just assuming that things before this point behave
how you imagine they would, based on your experiences.

Clearly even you don't believe that everything needs a cause, because you posit a
"God" that doesn't have one as a solution. I again invite you to define what "God" even means.

Even if there wasen't a God, there still has to be something eternal that started it all. See the impossibility of our existence?
31-05-2017, 04:08 AM
(31-05-2017 04:01 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I don't know what you mean. I haven't seen anything that happened before this certain point, nor has anyone else. You're just assuming that things before this point behave
how you imagine they would, based on your experiences.

Clearly even you don't believe that everything needs a cause, because you posit a
"God" that doesn't have one as a solution. I again invite you to define what "God" even means.

Even if there wasen't a God, there still has to be something eternal that started it all. See the impossibility of our existence?

Why does there have to be? You're just making assertions.

All you're saying is you can't imagine things being any other way.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 04:10 AM
(30-05-2017 06:19 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 06:12 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  If God exists, and "nothing that exists is capable of being eternal," and God is defined as being eternal, then God does not exist.

Something has to be eternal or else nothing would exist. I meant if atheists are right then nothing is capable of being eternal.

I never said "nothing is capable of being eternal." I was just quoting what you said to point out it was inconsistent.

As far as we know mass/energy can't be created or destroyed. While we don't know that this was true "before the big bang" (if there was a before), it is still within the realm of possibilities that it was. In that case, the universe in whatever form is eternal, but no single thing can last forever within it. We just don't know yet.

So your first piece of evidence for God fails -- for lack of supporting evidence. You said you had "too much evidence." What else do you have aside from the cosmological argument? (Even psychics can't get you there if we can pose alternative explanations which can't be disproved.)
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post