I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 06:46 AM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(31-05-2017 06:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 06:29 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Psychics don't just make claims, they state facts. The question is where did they get their information from?

They state / guess at generalities. There is no mechanism for them to get their information, and there exists no study that has demonstrated it's validity.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/...paranormal
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...S65W2jyuM8
http://www.dangeroustalk.net/a-team/Psychics
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...-stud.html
You are all completely ignoring the fact that I did not allow for a cold reading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 06:50 AM
(31-05-2017 06:46 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  You are all completely ignoring the fact that I did not allow for a cold reading.

And you are completely ignoring the fact that you were cold read, whether you admit to it or not.

There's no shame in that, by the way. When even university researchers can be fooled by these professional charlatans, civilians like you & I stand no chance.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
31-05-2017, 06:52 AM
Bonus question: what does "God" matter, even if it's real?

I'm an apatheist. For every time someone has tried to define what a "God" is to me, my response is that I don't care if it's real or not. Some people make the mistake of thinking I don't want there to be a God, when in fact I just don't care.

I do however find the reasons for belief interesting, and of course I find religion to be regularly dangerous and in need of checking.

On the subject of our history, here's some models:

A) Our reality is eternal. (Does this make our reality "God"? See how meaningless the word is?)

B) Our reality has a finite past, but had no external cause.

C) Our reality was created by some process in another reality, which may itself be subject to (A), (B) or ©.

D) Some other bonkers shit I can't even imagine.

There's no way to test any of these, presently. Until you have a falsifiable hypothesis, there cannot be any evidence, because you cannot separate truth from fiction. As I've said many times, logical arguments are not evidence.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2017, 07:00 AM
(31-05-2017 06:14 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 06:04 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Do you think any of them could pass the dice test I described?

You know they couldn't, don't you? It would be very simple to do, especially over the phone.
Isn't knowing so much about you just as unlikely as getting dice rolls correct? Besides, it's unlikely a spirit would be interested in playing your game.

No. It is considerably lmore likely. Information that already exists is far easier to obtain than information - like the outcome of a die roll - that does not.

You could even roll a different-sized die taken at random for each trial (D4, D6, D8, D12 and D20 - more exotic shapes are available.)

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

31-05-2017, 07:04 AM
(31-05-2017 06:46 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 06:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  They state / guess at generalities. There is no mechanism for them to get their information, and there exists no study that has demonstrated it's validity.
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2009/...paranormal
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badast...S65W2jyuM8
http://www.dangeroustalk.net/a-team/Psychics
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...-stud.html
You are all completely ignoring the fact that I did not allow for a cold reading.

What the hell does all this have to do with atheism and the gods ?
That if there is woo in one instance, that makes woo in all, possible ? Facepalm
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-05-2017, 07:06 AM
Psychic abilities ≠ god
[+] 1 user Likes sea_tiger's post
31-05-2017, 07:07 AM
(31-05-2017 06:03 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  How do you know they made up the test? Did you look at it? Why don't you talk to one of their psychics and write up your own test and if that psychic doesn't pass you get your money back. Win-win
I KNOW they did, because THEY said it on THEIR website:

Quote:The information provided by the mediums is scored by the sitters utilizing a method devised by the foundation

So if the foundation are creating and then marking the test, who knows what the basis of the test is. But I can 100% guarantee you it's don't done in a scientifically controlled manner: Testing one/more people, over the course of say a year, doing the same test repeatedly, and then analysis the results, which by the way has been done countless times by real scientists and so far have found 0 evidence of real "powers".

And to the second point: why in fucks name would I write a psychic test? As it's illegal to make money out of that sort of tripe here in the UK, without first openly stating its for entertainment purposes only, what would I have to gain? I KNOW they are all liars, because psychics have been tested under controlled conditions for a very long time, and every time they fail the test. So why, if that is the case, is this foundation any better? Suddenly they have the power yet over 100 years worth of others where all fakes?

Honestly, I just can't understand how you can't see how this is totally fucking stupid.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2017, 07:11 AM
How about a real-life test of psychic ability?

It id BBC Children in Need day and a company is holding various fund raising activities.
One of these is a competition to predict the results of that weekend's Premier League matches.
Half of the entry cost goers to the charity and the other half to the winner.
Scores are calculated by successfully predicting the winning team, the final score,
and the name of the player scoring the first goal.

One person enters the competition knowing next to nothing of football and caring rather less.
He wins easily, having a total score more than 50% better than the second placed particpant.

Is this an example of a psychic demonstrating the ability to see the future?

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

31-05-2017, 07:26 AM
(30-05-2017 04:49 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I stopped becoming a Christian about a year ago when I found out there were contradictions in the Bible. Yet I find it impossible for me to be an atheist when there's too much evidence for the existence of a God. For example, I talked to a psychic from the Forever Family Foundation to be comforted after the death of my dogs and she knew so much about my life and I've never met her before. I'd say she was 90% accurate (they admit they're not all knowing) I just posted this thread to see if anyone at least believed in the possibility of a God.

Psychics are the lowest of the low, they know they aren't talking to the dead they use psychology cold reading warm reading and observation on vulnerable grieving and gullible people to make money and frequently cause the implantation of false memories of peoples dead relatives. Always remember when the chance to cheat is removed 100% of psychics fail 100% of the time.
[+] 3 users Like adey67's post
31-05-2017, 07:30 AM
(31-05-2017 05:23 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  You know, I have thought of another possibility of how these psychics are being accurate. I'm not being funny, I really am paranoid, but what if the government knows everything about everyone and the psychics are really spies?

[Image: fonziejumpsshark3sl.gif?w=529]
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post