I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2017, 09:51 AM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(31-05-2017 09:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 08:40 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  By the way, I'm very sorry you suffer from schizophrenia dog.

Schizophrenia Dog is a great name for something... maybe a punk metal band, or a kid's TV show... or the next Chuck Palahniuk book. Laugh out load

As I'm planning to ask for a name change to something more interesting schizophrenic dog may be a contender.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
31-05-2017, 10:59 AM
(31-05-2017 06:46 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  You are all completely ignoring the fact that I did not allow for a cold reading.

Okay. I you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads, what are the odds that it'll come up tails on the 11th flip?

50/50 or equal chances

This simple logic confuses a surprising number of people, and sometimes is the basis for the "gamblers' fallacy", or the fallacy of the maturity of chances. Cold readers often rely in part on this by rhetorically asking questions with a subtle 'yes/no' forced response.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-05-2017, 11:08 AM
(31-05-2017 10:59 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 06:46 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  You are all completely ignoring the fact that I did not allow for a cold reading.

Okay. I you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads, what are the odds that it'll come up tails on the 11th flip?

50/50 or equal chances

This simple logic confuses a surprising number of people, and sometimes is the basis for the "gamblers' fallacy", or the fallacy of the maturity of chances. Cold readers often rely in part on this by rhetorically asking questions with a subtle 'yes/no' forced response.

The head of a cast coin frequently contains more metal than the tail thus a 50/50 likelihood is unlikely. Its only likely if both faces are bare and equal.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
31-05-2017, 11:31 AM
(31-05-2017 11:08 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 10:59 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Okay. I you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads, what are the odds that it'll come up tails on the 11th flip?

50/50 or equal chances

The head of a cast coin frequently contains more metal than the tail thus a 50/50 likelihood is unlikely. Its only likely if both faces are bare and equal.

An excellent point.

Incidentally, I recently read that this appears to be how we wound up with a universe full of matter rather than antimatter. Initial assumptions were that production of both was equally likely. Later, models from CERN data showed a slight imbalance in the likelihood of antimatter vs. normal matter forming, enough to give matter an edge and leave the universe "full" of it...relatively speaking.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
31-05-2017, 11:44 AM
(31-05-2017 11:08 AM)adey67 Wrote:  The head of a cast coin frequently contains more metal than the tail thus a 50/50 likelihood is unlikely. Its only likely if both faces are bare and equal.

Citation please. Huh

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
31-05-2017, 12:01 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 12:27 PM by adey67.)
(31-05-2017 11:44 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 11:08 AM)adey67 Wrote:  The head of a cast coin frequently contains more metal than the tail thus a 50/50 likelihood is unlikely. Its only likely if both faces are bare and equal.

Citation please. Huh

Don't have enough time mobile credit or interest to provide citations if you cannot circumstantially work out and acknowledge one side of a coin is likely to contain more metal than the the other I cannot help you I'm afraid. Also if winning an argument is so important then I concede, my ego is immaterial, even though I know I'm right Tongue
31-05-2017, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 03:08 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-05-2017 04:49 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Yet I find it impossible for me to be an atheist when there's too much evidence for the existence of a God.

There is no evidence for any of the gods. Everything you could posit, is simply a "gap filler" argument : "I don't get how this happens, therefore a god must have done it".
"God" is nothing but a learned mental bad habit.

A god that exists is required to participate in a larger Relality. A god that *must* participate in Reality, (possessing *existence*) could not have created the very Reality it must participate in, only partially.

You can't define a god coherently, without invoking spatial and temporal properties, and then special pleading (logic) them away.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
31-05-2017, 01:12 PM
(31-05-2017 03:11 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 09:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  So god too couldn't.

Maybe check Krauss "A Universe from Nothing" before pulling rabbit out of the hat.
If not God, then what is eternal?

Define "eternal", and tell us what that means in the absence of time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
31-05-2017, 01:29 PM
[Image: trololo.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
31-05-2017, 01:36 PM
So, as far as I can tell, dog has defined God to be the "something eternal that caused everything else". This doesn't necessarily mean it's sentient, nor does it mean it is necessary (since it's not been established our reality needed either a cause or a beginning). It doesn't seem to matter in the slightest, either.

I wonder why it's always our reality, then God, then that's it. Always just a secondary layer. It's never our reality, then another, then God. People never even seem to consider what reality this God is meant to inhabit either. I guess since they don't even know what it is anyway, and can't describe in what way it actually exists, it hardly matters. And thinking about God's reality raises more questions than God is supposed to answer.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post