"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
31-05-2017, 08:44 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
Ha! Hahaha!

2:30 on October 27, 2010, to be exact.

Vera, you crack me up! Ha! Hahahahaaa...ump!...

[Image: giphy.gif]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
31-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Feeling slightly manic does have its perks, Rocket...

... only, now I might or might not be trying to sing "You crack me up" to this and no way is this gonna end well (thank god (and not just because of this) my landlady's out of the country) Gasp

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
31-05-2017, 08:57 PM
(31-05-2017 08:49 PM)Vera Wrote:  Feeling slightly manic does have its perks, Rocket...

... only, now I might or might not be trying to sing "You crack me up" to this and no way is this gonna end well (thank god (and not just because of this) my landlady's out of the country) Gasp

Found this...

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
31-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Oooh, this is great. But it doesn't start until 2:45 into the video, due to speeches.

31-05-2017, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2017 09:09 PM by Robvalue.)
I'd like to echo the responses that saying "in an atheists's world [such and such]" is a flawed statement. Atheism just means a lack of belief in gods. That's it. And that hardly means anything anyway, since God is a pretty much meaningless term (as has been demonstrated in this thread).

I strongly suspect that most people are actually thinking about a super-humanoid when they talk about God, and at least dog here has admitted that fact. Most people try very hard to make the description as abstract as possible, but eventually slip up by giving it all sorts of extremely human characteristics upon questioning.

My position is based on the fact that I can't be certain about anything, regarding reality. I don't preclude any possibilities. I don't make statements like, "[such and such] is impossible/has to happen". If I do, I'm speaking informally in shorthand and don't actually mean it in such an extreme. So all I can do is create conditional, practical models of things to help me live in [whatever this place is] efficiently, and to use effective models others have created.

The only time certainty is warranted, in my opinion, is within one's own abstract systems. And then, all I am doing is providing a tautology. I'm providing the assumptions, which are true because I say they are; I'm providing the logic, and it works that way because I say it does; so my results are true within the abstract system, so long as I haven't made any mistakes applying my own logic. Given that last part, a case could be made for refraining from being certain even about statements in abstract systems, where you're not simply stating that an assumption is true because you say it is.

My god, what a load of drivel. I could talk for England if you keep me on the right subjects. No wonder my wife tunes me out.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 09:10 PM
(31-05-2017 08:39 PM)Vera Wrote:  [Image: turtle-family-guy-unplugs-alarm-clock-re...7L.gif?id=]
Pretty sure that turtle is proof of there being objectively true evil in this world. Dodgy

(31-05-2017 08:57 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

I started singing the actual song as the piano playing began.... No. Not well trained at all.

Need to think of a witty signature.
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
31-05-2017, 09:19 PM
(30-05-2017 04:49 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Yet I find it impossible for me to be an atheist when there's too much evidence for the existence of a God.

Coward. Big Grin

What evidence? The vast majority of your human compatriots? Did I mention, coward? Laugh out load

I'm not entirely atheist myself, but unless you are ready to come to terms with the fact that the salvation of the human race depends upon your acceptance of Gwyneth Paltrow as goddess of all, we fucked. Wink

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
31-05-2017, 09:21 PM
@Dog

You haven't addressed this directly: do you think any of the "real" psychics could pass the dice test? Could they produce a significant number of hits over the phone? Would they even try?

They may be able to produce a significant number of hits in person, if they are able to see your face and your reactions. That would, I bet, be a get-out clause for any psychic that actually took on this challenge. (Check out Derren Brown on YouTube. He's an absolute master at this kind of thing. He debunks psychics and does all kinds of amazing tricks.)

I suspect most would be too wise to be caught in it at all, and would make excuses about how spirits don't give them that kind of information or something. It doesn't give off the right aura. Any excuse to not have their claims properly tested. It's like when I ask people who have a "personal relationship with God" to tell me what number I'm thinking of. Suddenly God becomes all coy and endless excuses are made.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
01-06-2017, 01:00 AM
(31-05-2017 05:48 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Well according to that definition of troll I am not one because my goal is not to upset people but to seek the truth.

I'm skeptical, given how obstreperous you are.