I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 12:25 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(01-06-2017 07:02 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I only believe a psychic would pass the dice test if the spirit that was with the psychic was interested in playing....

What do you mean by the "spirit"? Is it some sort of a transcendent manifestation, and if it is, how can you determine whether or not it's "interested" in playing? Do you ask it, or does it tell you?

And why is it that apparently, these spirits are never interested in the fall of the dice, lottery results, or winning horses. Are they devoid of having fun? Why do we never hear of psychics or mediums winning huge lotteries, or getting filthy rich by trading on the share markets? And why do psychics never, ever predict catastrophic natural disasters?

Quote:But usually spirits are more interested in comforting the bereaved and then returning to Heaven.

How exactly does telling you that your grandmother had some fine gold jewelry, or that your dog loved you, or that you enjoy life generally, but have a few worries nonetheless, actually "comfort" you? Why is the psychic only telling you stuff you already know?

Why not tell you if you're gonna get married and have 3 sons, move to Tierra del Fuego in 2021, win a Ferrari in a raffle, or break a hip at age 72? Wouldn't those sorts of things be far more productive, and handy to know?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
01-06-2017, 01:38 PM
(31-05-2017 04:39 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  By reading this I have to assume they didn't investigate the Forever Family Foundation. I found out about these group of psychics when one of them was promoting her book called the "Light Between Us" I wasn't going to buy her book, but then she did a reading live on Fox News and got it right. So I bought the book and found out that to be a psychic on the Forever Family Foundation you had to pass a series of tests performed by actual scientists trained to make absolutely sure cold readings weren't being done.

As a lifelong skeptic, I took the time to investigate the Forever Family Foundation (FFF) and confirmed that it's (unsurprisingly!) totally fraudulent, and devoid of any empirical evidence supporting a belief in human "afterlife" and/or any evidence for communication with the deceased. Of course, like all these bullshit organisations, they do ask for donations for their cause LOL.

FFF talks repeatedly about "afterlife science" which is of course total nonsense. They also mange to insinuate the words science, or scientific, or science-based into nearly every one of their bogus claims. However, there is zero evidence of any science supporting their woo.

I checked the bona fides of a few of their "scientific" sources, and of course, again, according to cross-referencing several skeptic sites, I discovered—no surprises—that these people are either frauds or nutjobs or a bit of each...

Julie Beischel Ph.D; Gary E. Schwartz Ph.D; Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, M.D.; Charles Tart, Ph.D; Hal Puthoff, Ph.D; Sylvia Hart Wright, Ph.D. et al.

And don't be confused by their subject-irrelevant Ph.Ds as they're all genuine, but obviously used as an appeal to authority. After all, what layperson could be more intelligent or more skeptical than a person with a doctorate? They must know what they're talking about, and nobody could fool them about an afterlife could they?

I also had to laugh when I read of their forthcoming seminar, to be conducted by some woo-merchant named Piero Calvi-Parisetti—who's a crank author, parapsychologist, spiritualist and pseudoscience promoter. He's the author of a book 21 Days into the Afterlife which claims to offer evidence for human personality beyond death. However, in reality the entire book is dishonest quackery. The book says that everything from ectoplasm, levitation, mediumship, PSI and remote viewing have all been proven by science—whilst all critical or skeptical material is ignored.

Quote:That's when I decided to get a reading myself and I was baffled by the whole experience.

Simple answer; you were "baffled" by the experience simply because it was all bullshit, and defied any laws of logic or rationale. You might like to check out a "performance" by Theresa Caputo—one of the FFF recommended mediums— HERE

Cool

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
01-06-2017, 02:20 PM
(31-05-2017 04:39 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 04:26 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Ok then:

And:

Basically: TL;DR - It's scientificually and legally crap.

Can you tell me EXACTLY what you/she said?

By reading this I have to assume they didn't investigate the Forever Family Foundation. I found out about these group of psychics when one of them was promoting her book called the "Light Between Us" I wasen't going to buy her book, but then she did a reading live on Fox News and got it right. So I bought the book and found out that to be a psychic on the Forever Family Foundation you had to pass a series of tests performed by actual scientists trained to make absolutely sure cold readings weren't being done. That's when I decided to get a reading myself and I was baffled by the whole experience.
I remember watching a documentary of a guy who was being screened by scientists and they determined that he was a real psychic. The problem (As the "psychic" said himself) is that he faked the whole thing and he even showed how he did it. But I'm sure the OP will have some lame excuse for this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like Jigsaw's post
01-06-2017, 02:46 PM
(01-06-2017 11:39 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 12:01 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Don't have enough time mobile credit or interest to provide citations if you cannot circumstantially work out and acknowledge one side of a coin is likely to contain
more metal than the the other I cannot help you I'm afraid...

A truckload of personal opinion does not a logical argument make my friend. I could not find—anywhere—that your claim that the different weighting of each side of a coin could, or does, affect the heads or tails outcome. I'm more than sure that after 200 years of playing 'two up' in Australia, someone would've figured that out by now—considering the huge amounts of cash involved. Cool

I stand firmly by my 50/50 heads/tails claim for coins.

I've done some more looking in to this and apparently the weight of each side of the coin is pretty much immaterial, my bad I'm sorry.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
01-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Ok I think SYZ may have put me on ignore could someone be kind enough to pass the message that I looked into this and it seems I was wrong after all and that I'm sorry thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
01-06-2017, 06:58 PM
(01-06-2017 07:46 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:41 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  What information does a credit card give about you?
At very least the basic information help by the CC provider: Name/Address/Age and DOB/Address (Possibly the last 6 years worth of address'). which could obviously be exploited to expand on information via public records and so on.
Is it possible to know many personal things about a person through their credit card?
01-06-2017, 07:08 PM
(01-06-2017 07:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:44 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I can't remember everything that was said, this reading was done last February.
Surely you can remember the basic gist of the conversation though?

Who spoke first/roughly what was said/your responses?

No offence but you'd be a terrible court witness.
No kidding, I'm terrible at everything.
Well, she spoke first and asked me if I ever done a reading before. I said no and she explained how a reading works and then asked me if I had any questions. I said no and there was a pause, and she said the spirit of my grandmother appeared and she told me all about my grandmother and then said my grandmother was worried about me and that it's not as bad as it seems (which I could understand because I'm suicidal) And then she asked me if there was a spirit I was hoping to hear from and I said yes, and she asked "Is it the dog?" And that's who I wanted to hear from more than anything. She knew how he died and said that he assured me there was nothing more I could do. Towards the end the psychic too was concerned about me and recommended I saw a therapist. That's about how the conversation went.
01-06-2017, 07:17 PM
(01-06-2017 08:26 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:11 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Maybe it's because you are quick to accuse and slow to reason. I'm not a Christian, but I know that they are always accused of being judgmental. Well now I'm beginning to see that some atheists are very judgmental as well.

A typical internet troll never admits to being one. They have a tendency to ask disingenuous
questions when it suits while leaping to erroneous conclusions from a comment rather than asking for clarification at other times. They also tend to become petulant when any logical flaws in their arguments are pointed out.

In this case I noted that your comment was indistinguishable from one produced by a known troll. It cannot be used to show that you
are not a troll, nor does it show that you are. From your posts in this thread I think - but cannot prove - that you are either a troll or a Poe.

=====================
I have teas from India, China, Japan, and Sri Lanka. After several posts mentioning the drink
made me thirsty, I brewed a pot of Orange Pekoe (from Sri Lanka). Delicious! Now on the second cup.
That's amazing! Where can you find tea like that I'm in America?
01-06-2017, 07:24 PM
(01-06-2017 11:58 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  
(31-05-2017 03:47 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  It's funny how everyone is calling me a troll and yet no one is telling me what it means. I guess free speech is not respected here.

Why are you here?
Because I want to know why atheists are atheists and if I should be one
01-06-2017, 07:33 PM
(01-06-2017 07:34 AM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:09 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > The fact that there is so much evil and
suffering in the world is positive proof that there is no omnipotent, omni-righteous, omnibenevolent God watching over us. Consider
Or maybe God wants us to figure it out for ourselves. When you teach a child to ride a bike, eventually you have to let go.

> Firstly, a God who is omnibenevolent, omnipotent and omnirighteous, as defined by mainstream Christianity cannot, by definition, create evil and suffering or allow them to occur.

> Secondly, to attempt to equate crimes against humanity, diseases and natural disasters with something as trivial as bicycle riding lessons reveals a rather perverted sense of values on your part.

> "Or maybe God wants us to figure it out for ourselves." Figure what out? This is groundless speculation on your part, not a rational argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post