I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2017, 07:53 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(01-06-2017 07:17 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 08:26 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  A typical internet troll never admits to being one. They have a tendency to ask disingenuous
questions when it suits while leaping to erroneous conclusions from a comment rather than asking for clarification at other times. They also tend to become petulant when any logical flaws in their arguments are pointed out.

In this case I noted that your comment was indistinguishable from one produced by a known troll. It cannot be used to show that you
are not a troll, nor does it show that you are. From your posts in this thread I think - but cannot prove - that you are either a troll or a Poe.

=====================
I have teas from India, China, Japan, and Sri Lanka. After several posts mentioning the drink
made me thirsty, I brewed a pot of Orange Pekoe (from Sri Lanka). Delicious! Now on the second cup.
That's amazing! Where can you find tea like that I'm in America?

You may have to order it online.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2017, 12:37 AM
(01-06-2017 07:17 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 08:26 AM)Norm Deplume Wrote:  I have teas from India, China, Japan, and Sri Lanka. After several posts mentioning the drink
made me thirsty, I brewed a pot of Orange Pekoe (from Sri Lanka). Delicious! Now on the second cup.
That's amazing! Where can you find tea like that I'm in America?

There are probably quite a lot of places, but I have just made a quick search on Amazon and found a very large selection, including [Ceylon] Orange Pekoe available loose and in tea bags.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

02-06-2017, 01:35 AM
This has been touched on before but I wanted to recap:

Let's say someone discovers they have this amazing gift of being able to talk to the dead. What would be the best use of this?

Solving many of the outstanding murder cases? Recovering important lost knowledge? Furthering scientific understanding of how the dead can do anything other than be dead?

No. The best use is to charge people a lot of money to tell them things they already know about their dead loved ones. Wow.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
02-06-2017, 02:14 AM
(01-06-2017 06:58 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:46 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  At very least the basic information help by the CC provider: Name/Address/Age and DOB/Address (Possibly the last 6 years worth of address'). which could obviously be exploited to expand on information via public records and so on.
Is it possible to know many personal things about a person through their credit card?
Its possible to know pretty much EVERYTHING about you or at least enough for them to look further. With at very least you name/address, they could probably look up personal records and housing information (which dependent on where you live are free to view from the local council or equivalent place.) which they could then trace your parents names/their parents names/the DOB's/if they are alive/if you own a pet....and so on.

Somebody mentioned earlier you can pay money to companies who field out information that your personally have entered on any application, to pretty much everything you've ever done, so they can target you with add's/stuff like that. It's highly likely they also use this service.

I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
02-06-2017, 04:59 AM
(01-06-2017 07:33 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  This is groundless speculation on your part, not a rational argument.

That appears to be DL's modus operandi

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-06-2017, 05:03 AM
(01-06-2017 02:58 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Ok I think SYZ may have put me on ignore could someone be kind enough to pass the message that I looked into this and it seems I was wrong after all and that I'm sorry thanks.

It's not wrong. Not all coins are imbalanced, and the imbalance is so minor as to have a totally negligible impact on the outcome unless you're rolling thousands of times in a row.. and it depends on how the "toss" is done (spinning versus flipping, etc.).

That's why I compared it to the matter/antimatter balance. 99.9999999999999999...% of the time, they annihilate one another, but that tiniest of imbalances appears to have been enough to make us have a universe scattered throughout with matter.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
02-06-2017, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 05:09 AM by Robvalue.)
(02-06-2017 02:14 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 06:58 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Is it possible to know many personal things about a person through their credit card?
Its possible to know pretty much EVERYTHING about you or at least enough for them to look further. With at very least you name/address, they could probably look up personal records and housing information (which dependent on where you live are free to view from the local council or equivalent place.) which they could then trace your parents names/their parents names/the DOB's/if they are alive/if you own a pet....and so on.

Somebody mentioned earlier you can pay money to companies who field out information that your personally have entered on any application, to pretty much everything you've ever done, so they can target you with add's/stuff like that. It's highly likely they also use this service.

That's it. Information about us is plastered everywhere now. All that is left is to consider what is more likely: that people are accessing this information and combining it with cold reading techniques; or they are talking to the dead. The first requires no additional assumptions, and is well understood as a successful technique, even before the internet made this so much easier. The second needs lots of assumptions that haven't even begun to be verified as possible, let alone likely.

All we know is these people are "getting" information, or at least appearing to. Just because it's not immediately obvious how, it doesn't mean the explanation they give about it is true. Just like a magician who "teleports" a card from one hand to another doesn't get away with claiming he used an inter-dimensional portal, just because we can't figure out another explanation yet. (I nicked that analogy from Matt D.)

My poor naive friend visits the same medium each year, and is always astonished to be told all the stuff she had said to the medium last time. Such people are an open book and so vulnerable.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
02-06-2017, 05:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 05:13 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(01-06-2017 07:24 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 11:58 AM)kemo boy Wrote:  Why are you here?
Because I want to know why atheists are atheists and if I should be one

This one is easy. Atheists are atheists because they are unconvinced that, out of all the thousands of various stories humans tell about gods, any of the stories are about things that really exist outside of human imagination.

In other words, we see gods the way you see Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader-- cool, definitely interesting, but fictional. If you want to go to conventions, and dress up as a Jedi, and own all the toys/gear, and hang out with other people who are huge Star Wars fans... awesome for you. But when those people get larger numbers, and get a little bit too insistent that Lord Vader is real, and start not only basing their lives on the principles of the Jedi but telling me that Vader's trickery and mind control is the reason I do things... and then starting to pass legislation based on what The Force would want... well, I start to fear and pity them.

You should be an atheist for one reason and one reason only: IF you consider the stories about gods to be fictional, and are unconvinced that there exists some reality behind those stories. Period.

Otherwise, be a theist. Pick your poison. Personally, I'd go with Kali, the Hindu goddess, based off Pascal's Wager. Seems like a deity that's too dangerous to not believe in... you know, just in case. Big Grin

Edit: Realized I missed part of my point. Added some bits to the big paragraph.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-06-2017, 05:10 AM
This question is still open for dog to answer:

What does it matter if there is a "God"? What practical difference does it make to anything?

02-06-2017, 05:16 AM
(02-06-2017 05:09 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:24 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Because I want to know why atheists are atheists and if I should be one

This one is easy. Atheists are atheists because they are unconvinced that, out of all the thousands of various stories humans tell about gods, any of the stories are about things that really exist outside of human imagination.

In other words, we see gods the way you see Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader-- cool, definitely interesting, but fictional. If you want to go to conventions, and dress up as a Jedi, and own all the toys/gear, and hang out with other people who are huge Star Wars fans... awesome for you. But when those people get larger numbers, and get a little bit too insistent that Lord Vader is real, and start not only basing their lives on the principles of the Jedi but telling me that Vader's trickery and mind control is the reason I do things... and then starting to pass legislation based on what The Force would want... well, I start to fear and pity them.

You should be an atheist for one reason and one reason: IF you consider the stories about gods to be fictional, and are unconvinced that there exists some reality behind those stories. Period.

Otherwise, be a theist. Pick your poison. Personally, I'd go with Kali, the Hindu goddess, based off Pascal's Wager. Seems like a deity that's too dangerous to not believe in... you know, just in case. Big Grin

Edit: Realized I missed part of my point. Added some bits to the big paragraph.

Right, those characters are obviously fictional. I think dog agrees with us there.

I'm an atheist partly because even people who believe in a "God" can't agree on what it is. And it's almost always defined (when anyone gets that far, which is rare) to be indistinguishable from nothing at all. So I find it far more likely that they are simply imagining it, and I maintain that position until someone provides some sort of evidence.

As for whether this reality was created or "just is", I have no idea. And I don't care, it makes no difference. If it was created, it seems incredibly unlikely that any potential intelligence behind it (if the creation was even an intentional act) has no idea we exist and would have no interest in us if it knew. We're just not as special as we like to think.

[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post