I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-06-2017, 05:44 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(02-06-2017 05:36 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Everybody should join the Catholic Faith, it's the one true Christianity. Are you ready?

You troll pitifully

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
02-06-2017, 05:45 PM
(02-06-2017 05:36 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Everybody should join the Catholic Faith, it's the one true Christianity. Are you ready?

Join the one true faith and diddle a choirboy.... Not for me thanks. Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
02-06-2017, 05:47 PM
(02-06-2017 05:44 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

You troll pitifully

Also a pitiful troll
02-06-2017, 10:10 PM

> "And they shall stand in despair before the white cliffs of the world, and shall chant from their empty tomes in vain, for their words are nothing! And Erú shall prevail against His enemies and they shall be cast into the Void, for their enchantments are naught and their gods are helpless before Him." (The Silmarillion, 17:82) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
03-06-2017, 03:53 AM

I haven't been interested in Christianity, "true" or otherwise, since I was a teenager.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
03-06-2017, 11:46 AM

> “Man is the religious animal. He is the only religious animal. He is the only animal that has the true religion--several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. He has made a graveyard of the globe in trying his honest best to smooth his brother's path to happiness and heaven.” (Mark Twain) Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
03-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Sorry... you mean the one true belief in a mythical god, and an ancient fairy tale?

No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
07-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Jennifer, my friends reply is here below being as how you have disappeared from the forum id say his response is dead on regarding your so called reading.

Ok a stranger on the internet has told an anecdote. No proof, no evidence, no recording to analyse, just words on a screen.
As a skeptic you are in a losing position.
So do not engage with their story.

I face this almost every day.
An amazing anecdote that I am asked to explain.
But if I wasn't there how can I?
So in situations like this I am very clear. I say that any opinion i give is worthless, as I have nothing to analyse other than a story.
I ask for a recording, I ask for ANY recording. I turn it back on the person making the claim.
I challenge them. I usually say something like.
"Give me a recording of ANY psychic reading of you, that you are 100% convinced is real, and I will show you how they did it, all I ask is that the recording is unedited"

Usually at that point all the excuses come out, and they run away.

You see a lot of believers will literally make stuff up to try and stump the skeptic or make them look silly.
Dont fall into their game.

Remind them that in a court of law eye witness accounts are some of the WEAKEST forms of evidence, and that 10 eye witness accounts all saying the exact same thing, could be thrown out if one piece of DNA evidence contradicts them.

100 Eye witness accounts are worthless is just one piece of CCTV footage shows otherwise.

So we should never trust the word alone of anyone.
Ask for evidence, if they cant give you evidence of their direct claim, ask for evidence of ANYTHING they believe in.
If they still cant give you anything, well they are on the wind up, and not worth your time.

So yeah forget this persons story, for all you know it is my dad wasting ten minutes while sat on the toilet winding up skeptics!
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
18-06-2017, 08:24 AM
I don't see how the purported success of a psychic proves the existence of God. Maybe the argument is something like this: The psychic has never had any contact with you; but he/she nonetheless knew many facts about you and your dogs which he/she could not possibly have known; therefore the only possible avenue for the psychic to have acquired that knowledge is by way of the divine; therefore God exists. I am skeptical of every aspect of this argument. There is a thing in the realm of psychic powers known as the "Cold Read". Some people are very good at reading body language and at eliciting information with subtle hints and suggestions. There are other well known tricks that psychics use to convince their customers that they know more than they actually do. This, I believe, accounts for the vast majority of what people consider to be psychic powers.
Is your psychic able to obtain information directly from God? Well, the claim that one can commune with God through psychic practices or prayer or meditation is something that has been maintained by people for at least the last five thousand years. The Delphic Oracle, for example, was supposed to be a psychic who was able to enter a trance-like state and thereby see the future as revealed by Apollo. Are you arguing that your psychic is more in tune with God than was the Delphic Oracle? If so, the burden of proof is on you -- and your psychic. I think that ALL claims to prophecy are exaggerations and propaganda, at best.
[+] 3 users Like thereverent1's post
18-06-2017, 12:41 PM
I won't be ready until after you have convinced all of the other Christians, all Muslims, all Jews, all Hindus, and so on. This should give you some practice before you go on to the more difficult task of convincing atheists.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 3 users Like Norm Deplume's post