I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 05:48 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(30-05-2017 05:37 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  You determine the correct interpretation by its context

That does not explain the thousands of different interpretations that are based on the same context. I asked for the objective criteria that you use to determine what the correct interpretation is.

Hint: there is none and there is no "correct" interpretation

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2017, 05:49 PM
(30-05-2017 05:46 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  No I'm not. I just wanted to be friends

Well, that sure as hell explains the psychic Drinking Beverage

[Image: tumblr_mffjxoTMjA1rpm7vco1_500.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
30-05-2017, 05:53 PM
(30-05-2017 05:38 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I was actually monotone about it.

The entire time? Sorry, I find that hard to believe. Especially since you seem impressed by her hits. You may think you were completely monotone the entire time, but that's a near impossible feat given the fact that as humans, we process and react to stimuli, oftentimes without even realizing it, which is then imparted through body language and intonations in our voice and breathing patterns.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
30-05-2017, 05:54 PM
(30-05-2017 04:49 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I stopped becoming a Christian about a year ago when I found out there were contradictions in the Bible. Yet I find it impossible for me to be an atheist when there's too much evidence for the existence of a God.

Okay. Please provide us with "too much evidence for the existence of a God."
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
30-05-2017, 05:55 PM
The criteria is common sense. For example, if the Bible said the earth is a triangle but you observe that it's a sphere, you accept that it's a sphere no matter how all the other denominations interpret it.
30-05-2017, 05:56 PM
I have plenty of friends, just none that really want to talk about the deeper things of life.
30-05-2017, 05:58 PM
Even if I wasen't monotone (which I was) how in the world could she know from the way that I was talking that my mother is a middle child?
30-05-2017, 06:03 PM
(30-05-2017 05:55 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  The criteria is common sense. For example, if the Bible said the earth is a triangle but you observe that it's a sphere, you accept that it's a sphere no matter how all the other denominations interpret it.

It would really help if you used the "reply" button to quote the person you are responding to. It makes following the conversations much easier.

The shape of the earth is something that can be compared against physical evidence. Your initial statement was the a correct interpretation leads to the conclusion that the god of the bible is a monster. That is an opinion and not in the same category as the shape of the earth.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-05-2017, 06:06 PM
(30-05-2017 05:58 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Even if I wasen't monotone (which I was) how in the world could she know from the way that I was talking that my mother is a middle child?

It's called a guess. If you had reacted differently the psychic would have modified the claim until they got a positive reaction. That's how cold reading works.

You need to develop your bullshit detector because you've been conned.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-05-2017, 06:06 PM
I'd be glad to. One of the evidences is this: Something cannot come from nothing. Even the particles that seem to pop in and out of existence comes from already existing energy from the vaccum (because there's no such thing as a perfect vaccum) Everything around us is energy, even matter is energy. And although energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can become unusable energy (in the same way that a battery loses it's usefulness.) At this rate, one day all energy will become unusable, which means that the beginning of all things would have to be created by something eternal. And since nothing that exists is capable of being eternal, nothing should exist. Therefore God (But not the Christian God)