I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 06:08 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
Psychics are good at convincing people to tell revealing tidbits about themselves without realizing they've done it, or leaving the wording of a "hit" really vague and open to multiple interpretations. Look up "Barnum statements."

Try going to another psychic and giving them slightly misleading and/or open-ended info about yourself and see what happens. Drinking Beverage

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
30-05-2017, 06:08 PM
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 05:58 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Even if I wasen't monotone (which I was) how in the world could she know from the way that I was talking that my mother is a middle child?

It's called a guess. If you had reacted differently the psychic would have modified the claim until they got a positive reaction. That's how cold reading works.

You need to develop your bullshit detector because you've been conned.

Ok, if that's true then "guess" my name
30-05-2017, 06:09 PM
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 05:58 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Even if I wasen't monotone (which I was) how in the world could she know from the way that I was talking that my mother is a middle child?

It's called a guess. If you had reacted differently the psychic would have modified the claim until they got a positive reaction. That's how cold reading works.

You need to develop your bullshit detector because you've been conned.

Can a bullshit detector function when it's covered in bullshit? Consider

My bad, I said I was out. I'll show myself to the door.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-05-2017, 06:10 PM

I haven't seen all the responses here relating to your "psychic" experience, but the processes by which these charlatans ply their craft are pretty well known. It's called cold reading and, with a little practice, you can become very adept at it.

I used to use it - I swear I'm not making this up - to pick up girls.

The one and only time I ever went to a psychic, I, too, found her to be astoundingly accurate. Then I listened to the tape some six months later (they used cassette tapes back then) and realized that I had been duped.

There's no shame in being duped. These professional charlatans are so good that some of them have actually fooled university research studies. See Project Alpha.
[+] 3 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
30-05-2017, 06:12 PM
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  And since nothing that exists is capable of being eternal, nothing should exist. Therefore God (But not the Christian God)

If God exists, and "nothing that exists is capable of being eternal," and God is defined as being eternal, then God does not exist.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
30-05-2017, 06:12 PM
(30-05-2017 06:08 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Ok, if that's true then "guess" my name

Sure, just give us a list of 3 names to choose from.
"Middle child" can refer to anyone who's not first or last.

30-05-2017, 06:19 PM
(30-05-2017 06:12 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  And since nothing that exists is capable of being eternal, nothing should exist. Therefore God (But not the Christian God)

If God exists, and "nothing that exists is capable of being eternal," and God is defined as being eternal, then God does not exist.

Something has to be eternal or else nothing would exist. I meant if atheists are right then nothing is capable of being eternal.
30-05-2017, 06:20 PM
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I'd be glad to. One of the evidences is this: Something cannot come from nothing.

Who claims that something did?

Quote:Even the particles that seem to pop in and out of existence comes from already existing energy from the vaccum (because there's no such thing as a perfect vaccum)

Actually, that's not how I understand it. Virtual particles do apparently come from nothing and, combined, have net zero energy so no laws are violated. The entire universe may have net zero energy which makes it the ultimate free lunch.

This lecture by Krauss is a bit dated but goes into a lot of it.

Quote:Everything around us is energy, even matter is energy. And although energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can become unusable energy (in the same way that a battery loses it's usefulness.) At this rate, one day all energy will become unusable,

OKay....

Quote:which means that the beginning of all things would have to be created by something eternal.

Not if something else non-eternal spawned out universe; not if the universe did actually come from nothing; not if the rules "outside" our universe are different than what we experience... I am not claiming any of those is true, just that we don't know how our universe came to be as we see it so we can't say anything about what characteristics are required.

Quote: And since nothing that exists is capable of being eternal, nothing should exist. Therefore God (But not the Christian God)

You can't have it both ways. If a god exists and is eternal then you have something that exists and is eternal which contradicts the premise. If something "outside" our universe exists and caused it we have no way to detect any characteristics of that thing and that includes it being intelligent or not.

Basically, "god" is a label for something that can't be defined or detected but which carries the baggage of it being an intelligent agent. It's more honest to simply say "I don't know" and leave it at that until we have more evidence.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
30-05-2017, 06:21 PM
(30-05-2017 06:12 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 06:08 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Ok, if that's true then "guess" my name

Sure, just give us a list of 3 names to choose from.
"Middle child" can refer to anyone who's not first or last.

I didn't give the psychic any information, so why should I give you information?
30-05-2017, 06:23 PM
(30-05-2017 06:21 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I didn't give the psychic any information

I doubt that claim. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post