I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2017, 09:16 PM
RE: I'm not a Christian anymore, yet I'm not an Athiest
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I'd be glad to. One of the evidences is this: Something cannot come from nothing.

"Coming from" requires time in place already. It's meaningless in that context.
And things do come from nothing. Virtual particles.

You don't know there was "nothing". Roger Penrose, (Hawking's friend) thinks there is an endless series of bangs and re-bangs. You're using "common sense" (intuitive) logic. We know at it's most fundamental, reality is not intuitive, (relativity, uncertainty, some math).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
30-05-2017, 10:00 PM
The big bang happened, the universe rapidly expanded and galaxies and shit formed.
There's proof of this theory because we can see that the universe is expanding and we can see the shockwave from the big bang etc.. all that good stuff.
It's also open to being proven wrong by further scientific evidence. We might discover something about gravity (because we currently know little about gravity) or dark energy/matter or something we haven't even discovered yet that proves otherwise. And that's fine, that's how science works.

Also, in regards to the big bang, we don't know what was before it. Just because there's things we don't know it doesn't mean "god did it".
Where's that sudoku that shows what I'm talking about perfectly? Here it is.

[Image: science-religion-600x351.jpg]

The difference between us and you is that we accept that there is gaps in our (mankind's) knowledge. You do not and fill it with "god".
But just because you fill those gaps doesn't make you right. It's better to accept and acknowledge our limitations so we can work on eliminating them than to putt your fingers in your ears and sing lalala trying to ignore them.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
30-05-2017, 10:43 PM
God of gaps, eh?

Lol ok.

Just because something can't be explained, doesn't mean a supernatural being did it. That's prehistoric thinking.

Inserting God into things isn't necessary.

But, I feel you know this, Mr. Poe.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
30-05-2017, 11:31 PM
At work.

(30-05-2017 08:33 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 06:57 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Hello! Thumbsup

Sorry to hear about your pets. Hug

As for physics? Folks here will help you out with all sorts of information. Thumbsup
Thanks. My dogs dying was the most devastating thing that ever happened to me. Everyday I feel like it happened yesterday and no amount of therapy or pills help.

Hug

Heart
31-05-2017, 01:22 AM
Intuition isn't a good way to learn facts. Saying things like, "something can't come from nothing" doesn't make it true. All we can do is observe. We don't get to tell reality what it can and can't do. Our inability to imagine things is not evidence. And on top of that, no amount of evidence can ever justify a blanket statement of certainty such as, "such and such can't happen". The best we can do is say that our best models indicate that such and such doesn't seem to happen.

I'm pretty sure we have no experience of "nothing" to even begin to make sense of such a claim anyhow.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 01:36 AM
(Of course, the reply is usually, "Well you show me something coming from nothing then" which is the argument from ignorance fallacy. My inability to prove you wrong doesn't make you right.)

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
31-05-2017, 01:36 AM
(30-05-2017 06:34 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Well everything has a cause. What caused the Big Bang?

If it was a god, what caused that god? It must have had a cause since you think everything has a cause. You can't arbitrarily exclude Bob the Universe Builder without invalidating your premise.

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

[+] 6 users Like Norm Deplume's post
31-05-2017, 01:55 AM
(30-05-2017 05:03 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  Well she is pretty rich. It cost me about $250 to talk to her for an hour. And she has lots and lots of clients
Crikey, I'm in the wrong job...Blink

(30-05-2017 05:05 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I know that atheists don't believe in any gods, I'm just trying to figure out why.
Because there is no evidence to do so.

(30-05-2017 05:08 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  How did she know so much about me then?
It's called cold reading. They can suggest something very basic to you, and see what reaction you give, hence why she's not "all knowing"....its because she doesn't know at all. That and depending on when you organised this she probably gave you a google and looked at all your social media accounts as well.

Another lesson in "logic", how can a person be Psychic yet not know everything? You can't pick up some things and not others...surely you either "have the power" or you don't at all?

There have been multiple tests done on multiple supposed psychics and they've all found to be total garbage. I might be wrong, but in the UK if you are a psychic, you have to legally tell somebody its for entertainment purposes only, after a court ruled it to be not real.

I could go on, but you've dug a deep hole here chief.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
31-05-2017, 03:05 AM
Oh really? I've not heard that about UK psychics. I hope that is true, same goes for mediums and all such crap. From what I've heard though, such people don't make this clear to customers. I have a friend who bases her decisions on what the medium has said her deceased daughter is saying.

Indeed, supplying "psychic" readings has to be some sort of trade description violation since they are unable to demonstrate they are providing any such thing.

31-05-2017, 03:11 AM
(30-05-2017 09:10 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(30-05-2017 06:06 PM)DogLover12347 Wrote:  I'd be glad to. One of the evidences is this: Something cannot come from nothing.

So god too couldn't.

Maybe check Krauss "A Universe from Nothing" before pulling rabbit out of the hat.
If not God, then what is eternal?