I'm not an atheist, but am fed up with the BS from organized religion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2012, 02:50 AM
RE: I'm not an atheist, but am fed up with the BS from organized religion...
(16-03-2012 01:34 AM)Egor Wrote:  Jesus said, “And so I tell you, whoever has come to know the world has discovered a carcass, and whosoever discovers that carcass, of that person the world is not worthy." (Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ 9:16)

Be careful you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Nothing stops you from picking up the Gospel yourself and writing down what you believe and making that your own religion. God is probably calling you to do just that. You don't have to be an atheist to be free from the Church. Keep in mind, Jesus would have nothing to do with Christianity if he were walking the earth today.

What do you find to be the biggest BS in the Churuch? What is the straw that breaks the camel's back for you?

RE...."Jesus would have nothing to do with Christianity if he were walking the earth today." Egor ... that is the the truest thing you have ever said on this forum. In fact I doubt you realise just how true that statement is.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post
16-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Jesus also said "For I am telling you: the best expression of love is licking your wife's eyeball." (Malleus's 28'th Gospel of the Holy Trinity 145:1285) It says so in my book which must be better than yours because it's bigger and it refers to the entire trinity rather than just a third of it.

Egor, you are living proof that writing your own bible is easy, which makes every kind of holy scripture extremely questionable. Since scriptures are our only way of knowing (about) god, god is that much more unlikely. Now go be ridiculous somewhere else.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Malleus's post
16-03-2012, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 03:10 AM by Logisch.)
(16-03-2012 03:03 AM)Malleus Wrote:  Jesus also said "For I am telling you: the best expression of love is licking your wife's eyeball." (Malleus's 28'th Gospel of the Holy Trinity 145:1285) It says so in my book which must be better than yours because it's bigger and it refers to the entire trinity rather than just a third of it.

Egor, you are living proof that writing your own bible is easy, which makes every kind of holy scripture extremely questionable. Since scriptures are our only way of knowing (about) god, god is that much more unlikely. Now go be ridiculous somewhere else.

Hitchens 13:37 says: "For he who hath smelled the ragu sauce will feast upon his flesh. Every time ye eat spaghetti ye shall be full and appreciate the love of the Flying Spaghetti Monster."

At least that's what my book says. (King Dawkins version. Some say the new international DeGrasse version is easier to read, but who knows, it was all written in pastafarian thousands of years ago)
[+] 3 users Like Logisch's post
16-03-2012, 05:04 AM
"For he who seeth Spot knoweth that Spot doth Run" (First Hill Gospel of Spot)

Clearly then he is telling us that you should run from whatever the hell it is that nutjob is selling.
[+] 8 users Like Mugsy's post
16-03-2012, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 07:04 AM by JFReyes.)
Wow, I posted my rant before going to bed and when I wake up there are 2 pages of posts... Thanks!

First off, I live in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory with a 500 year old Spanish culture that is mostly Catholic. I was raised Catholic but hardly ever go to any church, though I consider myself "spiritual". Nevertheless, my beef isn't with the Catholic church (because they usually stick to their ages old script and don't pester too much) but rather with many other Christian denominations, particularly the ones with TV exposure. The few megachurches here are modeled after the American ones, albeit much smaller.

What pissed me off last night was a small town evangelical preacher that I occasionally watch on TV just for laughs. He had a guillotine and was telling the viewers that on account of some Bible passages they had to give up their bodies (while letting the fake blade drop) in order to be saved. WTF?

This didn't make me laugh. There are people who believe this crap and send him money; my mother did before she passed away. Poor people (we have half the average income of Mississippi) that keep him on the air. What can a single person do to at least provide a counter perspective to this?

Thanks for reading... :-)

Jose

José
16-03-2012, 07:57 AM
(16-03-2012 06:59 AM)JFReyes Wrote:  Wow, I posted my rant before going to bed and when I wake up there are 2 pages of posts... Thanks!

First off, I live in Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory with a 500 year old Spanish culture that is mostly Catholic. I was raised Catholic but hardly ever go to any church, though I consider myself "spiritual". Nevertheless, my beef isn't with the Catholic church (because they usually stick to their ages old script and don't pester too much) but rather with many other Christian denominations, particularly the ones with TV exposure. The few megachurches here are modeled after the American ones, albeit much smaller.

What pissed me off last night was a small town evangelical preacher that I occasionally watch on TV just for laughs. He had a guillotine and was telling the viewers that on account of some Bible passages they had to give up their bodies (while letting the fake blade drop) in order to be saved. WTF?

This didn't make me laugh. There are people who believe this crap and send him money; my mother did before she passed away. Poor people (we have half the average income of Mississippi) that keep him on the air. What can a single person do to at least provide a counter perspective to this?

Jose

A Marine buddy of mine was from Puerto Rico. His name was Richard, which funny enough, he used as an insult for other people (he called them "Richards") because it's short for Dick. Unfortunately, didn't keep track of him... Welcome to the forums.

Not all atheists dislike everything about religion so to speak. All of my family except two people are Christian and my wife is Christian (and some other stuff). The biggest problem I have with the mega-churches and large religions is their direct hand in government. Trying to strip rights of people simply because they disagree. There are a large number atheists that vastly disagree with religion, but wouldn't think to strip them of basic human rights. Some religious see secular government as some sort of attack against religion. Some don't even realize that our money didn't used to have "in god we trust" and the pledge didn't used to have "under god" and that many of our founding fathers weren't Christians (although they were deists.. and chauvinistic and didn't really do much to stop slavery or help Natives). They reject science and critical thinking or reason as an evil causing our country even greater harm by raising a new generation of uneducated people that might have been great thinkers if not for religious indoctrination. There are some great thinkers that were (and some that are) religious, but many were people of their time. I don't mind religious people as long as it doesn't cause them to deny what is right in front of them. They reap the benefits of science and then speak of its evil...

Uh, did I say welcome by the way...

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
16-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Welcome Jose!

I completely agree about the evil of mega churches. They preach prosperity through giving and entice people to give so that God will give back to them. But then the church cannot provide support to everyone. People end up relying on the government or their community for support where the church does not help. Churches are often run like a business, but without having to pay taxes. It's a very cozy place in our nation that they hold.

Churches do some good things in the charity world- but it's frequently with strings attached and the church always benefits the most. I've been in a position of needing help from my home church, after tithing and giving for years. The other members were not there for me. Fuck 'em.

I can't tell you how to combat the mega church- other than just be a good example of a person who doesn't need a god. You can be ethical/moral, you can be intelligent and skeptical, and you don't have to devolve into some vile heathen.

And of course, education is the biggest and best enemy of the church.
16-03-2012, 11:47 AM
(16-03-2012 06:59 AM)JFReyes Wrote:  Nevertheless, my beef isn't with the Catholic church (because they usually stick to their ages old script and don't pester too much)

Gotta pick you up on that one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQIME6yyKq4

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-03-2012, 12:42 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 12:47 PM by Thomas.)
As God does not exist, and I assume this as fact based on no rational reason to believe he does, we are burdened with policing the profits (all are false by default so false profit is a redundant term) who fleece the old and mislead the young.

They are all criminals, but because so many irrational fear driven sheeple believe this stuff we can’t stop them where we need to and that’s getting them off the air waves.

Let me be the first to welcome you to atheism.
You have made the spiritual journey to this forum for the cleansing of the mind, I will boldly presume.
There are plenty here with the cleaning materials you need.
We are all atheist before being lied to. Now you are in the truth zone. Welcome home.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
16-03-2012, 01:23 PM

(16-03-2012 02:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  RE...."Jesus would have nothing to do with Christianity if he were walking the earth today." Egor ... that is the the truest thing you have ever said on this forum. In fact I doubt you realise just how true that statement is.

But Mark, you've already shown on other posts your utter contempt for Jesus Christ, so why now are you using him as a yardstick to measure the goodness of Christianity?

There are fundamental problems with the Christian religion. There are no problems with Jesus Christ. We must all strive to follow Jesus Christ.

(16-03-2012 06:59 AM)JFReyes Wrote:  Wow, I posted my rant before going to bed and when I wake up there are 2 pages of posts... Thanks!

Jose

What can you do? Don't send them money and don't watch them. They were bad, but I have no doubt God will count the money your mother gave to them as good. So, it wasn't wasted. No good act done from a heart that loves Christ is ever wasted.

Maybe you should just stay Catholic for now and develop your own brand of spirituality. Changing the world starts with changing you, right?
Quote this message in a reply