I'm not religious but...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm not religious but...
In my area there is a 3000 people a week mega church. All people from that church say "I am not religious, I just have a relationship with God." The are really Christians and they learn and teach from the bible, but yet when I ask them what the name of their God is they say "ummm....just...God...?....papa God"

Thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2013, 06:55 AM
RE: I'm not religious but...
Papa God?

Ask them if he's blue, beardy and tiny.

If they have a relationship with him maybe you could ask them how the sex is.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like hedgehog648's post
10-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Last I heard, relationships can be taxed in some form, right? Just like philosophies. i mean, it's not a religion, so...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
10-05-2013, 07:29 AM
I would think that people who attend church on a regular basis would be considered religious. Unsure about their objection to the word...

Godless in the Magnolia State
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
People don't believe in what they say they believe in. As a prophet going to church, I never had the sense that these people believe in an Actual God. What they do is communally generate the "I feel good" meme... and use triggers to get high. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
10-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Reason and Science,

When Christians respond to you like that, they are responding from a much wider cultural context that has been building within modern Christianity for a little over 25 years. Essentially, they are attempting to re-contextualize Christianity to the developing culture around them. Since culture is moving away from rigid forms of dogma in most spheres of life, if Christians are to appear approachable and open, they have to be somewhat amorphous in their social presence. Thus terms like 'God' are replaced with softer, more personable terms like 'papa God' (which is really just another way of saying "Abba Father"), and stigmatized terms like "religious" are tossed aside for phrases like "we're in a relationship, not a religion."

Granted, they are still meeting in a facility known as a 'church,' so that takes some of the strength of their strange coercion away from them. Nevertheless, the soft-core Christian, or the 'relational Christian' is part of a new wave of indoctrination that has been going on for about a quarter of century now, riding the tailcoats of the Vineyard Movement, and certain Anabaptist affiliations.
[+] 7 users Like Kane's post
10-05-2013, 07:43 AM
(10-05-2013 07:38 AM)Kane Wrote:  Reason and Science,

When Christians respond to you like that, they are responding from a much wider cultural context that has been building within modern Christianity for a little over 25 years. Essentially, they are attempting to re-contextualize Christianity to the developing culture around them. Since culture is moving away from rigid forms of dogma in most spheres of life, if Christians are to appear approachable and open, they have to be somewhat amorphous in their social presence. Thus terms like 'God' are replaced with softer, more personable terms like 'papa God' (which is really just another way of saying "Abba Father"), and stigmatized terms like "religious" are tossed aside for phrases like "we're in a relationship, not a religion."

Granted, they are still meeting in a facility known as a 'church,' so that takes some of the strength of their strange coercion away from them. Nevertheless, the soft-core Christian, or the 'relational Christian' is part of a new wave of indoctrination that has been going on for about a quarter of century now, riding the tailcoats of the Vineyard Movement, and certain Anabaptist affiliations.

Kane,

Thank you for that explanation. That makes a lot of sense, I just hear the same people call it a relationship to me and other outsiders but to the people within they still call it their religion.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-05-2013, 10:00 AM
This idea of a relationship with god (more commenly jesus) has been around a lot longer than 25 years and I do not think it is an attempt to be more contempary.

I rather more think that it is indicates that the individual does not need a "religion" to tell them how to believe, they mainline god's wisdom. I think attendence at a mega church that regularly draws 3000 clearly puts the lie to the original statement. If their relationship is personal why do they need any church large or small.
[+] 2 users Like JAH's post
10-05-2013, 10:20 AM
They SAY "it isn't a religion", . . . but they will surely back the doctrines of their church. Let's be realistic. It absolutely IS a religion. The "no, it is a relationship" is just phraseology to get people to come to their church. Just another "witnessing tool". More useless expressions with no real meaning. It still revolves around someone's mere "belief" in some sort of connection with "a powerful god being". I see such statements to be disengenuous.
10-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Stop it right now!

Let them have their relationships and philosophies.

Then make up for all the years of lost revenue from the Religions being exempt from taxation.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post