I'm not sure its its worth continuing debating.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: I'm not sure its its worth continuing debating.
(10-11-2013 10:10 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I just listened to the recent TTA podcast: a manual for creating atheists. I wonder if the questions and approaches that Boghossian talks about would useful in these debates with your friend.
Give it a listen and see, I thought it was really interesting.

I just bought the book, thru chapter 2. It has been showing the proper way to agree to what the terms 'faith' and 'belief'. Next chapter starts the Socratic methodology.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2013, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 09:52 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(10-11-2013 08:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Well the Bile shows bad things happening as an example, it’s not Gods will.

Shocking

The BILE????????!!!!

[Image: 20120622052737!Rofl.gif]

Thumbsup

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
(05-12-2013 09:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(10-11-2013 08:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  Well the Bile shows bad things happening as an example, it’s not Gods will.

Shocking

The BILE????????!!!!

Thumbsup

oops my bad, or should i say "My Freudian"

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
05-12-2013, 10:20 PM
(05-12-2013 10:01 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 09:43 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Shocking

The BILE????????!!!!

Thumbsup

oops my bad, or should i say "My Freudian"

Oh, it's fucking BRILLIANT, and I'm STEALING it!!!!!

[Image: avatar_29005.gif?dateline=1382106007]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
06-12-2013, 09:16 PM
(10-11-2013 10:10 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I just listened to the recent TTA podcast: a manual for creating atheists. I wonder if the questions and approaches that Boghossian talks about would useful in these debates with your friend.
Give it a listen and see, I thought it was really interesting.

Thanks for the hint. I listened to it now, and I am going to buy the book. Very good!

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
(06-12-2013 09:16 PM)Youkay Wrote:  Thanks for the hint. I listened to it now, and I am going to buy the book. Very good!

The book is excellent! I'm almost to the end. It gives plenty of good and reasonable arguments for non-belief, but consists mainly of ways of stripping a Christian of their "faith". Once that goes, there is no anchor, and faith is very destructible in the face of reason and logic.

Enjoy!

"To think of what the world has suffered from superstition, from religion, from the worship of beast and stone and god, is
almost enough to make one insane."

Robert G. Ingersoll
07-12-2013, 08:32 AM
(10-11-2013 08:26 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm not sure its worth continuing debating with my Theist mate, tell me if you find this scenario familiar.

Bible condones Murder, Rape and slavery

No it doesn’t, where does it say that?

Here, here and here

Ah Rape and slavery = marriage and house maids, it was a different time.

Nope look at the specifics, its Rape (forced marriage) and slavery, proper slavery

Well the Bile shows bad things happening as an example, it’s not Gods will.

God specifically sanctions, decrees it, or "comes upon them", examples here......

Well that just shows how fallible man is to misinterpret Gods will, we are sinners after all

So you still insist the Bible is 100% factual, even though there are so many contradictions.

There are no contradictions, it’s just man interpreting it incorrectly.

just when I think I have gotten him to concede to an augment, it always ends with the Bible is the word of God, therefore it is true, You are just too pridefull to acknowledge it. . " Because you have rejected the word of the LORD, he has rejected you as king."

You could also have done the same with the NT (perhaps you already have). I've been at this for the last 48 years (married to a staunch "believer") and there is no winning.
Here's a good thing to keep in mind. Once your opponent advances the position, "I believe it because it's in the bible, and the bible is inerrant" or "man's interpreting it incorrectly"....your argument must cease. You see, it's because your opponent has ceased to think and has reverted to faith. And as we know, faith is belief with no proof. And when thinking ceases, so must the argument.

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster
07-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Have you also tried arguing the history of the Bible? One of the things that brought about my deconversion was learning about the other various gospels, council of nicea, faulty translations, etc.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
07-12-2013, 10:14 AM
I recommend
[Image: 51TS2K3REBL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR...3,200_.jpg]

Nothing really cuts through the red tape of belief better than going after ALL belief. It really is a quick step from die-hard theism to "huh?What?" when the foundations get a good shake.

If you're gonna rattle someone's cage...........get er done.Thumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.