I'm of the devil because I wear a sleeveless top

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: I'm of the devil because I wear a sleeveless top
(27-04-2013 05:54 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  The church group our family belongs to is one of those conservative churches in which women are not allowed to wear shorts or skirts that are above the knee like mini skirts. Women are also not allowed to wear tank tops, any type of sleeveless shirts (this goes for the males too), tube or tube dress, backless tops. Women are also not allowed to wear bathing suits or bikinis. Any clothing that's too showy of body parts are not allowed.

It's not just women who get read the lustful riot act (although you ladies bear the brunt of it, no doubt). Years ago at a church singles' group picnic in a local park next to a river, I doffed my outfit and went swimming in my Marine Corps UDT shorts (light brown, form-fitting swim trunks worn by the recon chaps; had a pair even though I was a rear-echelon type).

Anyway, when I got out to warm up and sunbathe, the pastor came over to me and said that I need to put a shirt on because he got some complaints from a couple of the women that I was making them "stumble."

Nowadays I couldn't fit into those shorts to save my life and I kind of look like a skinnier version of Matt Dillahunty, but back then I was in my twenties, still fit from my time in the Corps, and had a full head of hair. I remember being kind of flattered, but also upset because of their uptight attitude.

Looking back, perhaps it was their way of turning the tables on the male repression you highlight in your post. The Church has an unholy repulsion towards the human body and its natural sex drive, but even more insidious is its use of various prohibitions on said drive as a shame-based control mechanism.

Sadly enough, I bought into all of that crapola and ended up squandering my youth on chastity, while a couple of years later the same pastor who rebuked me got in trouble for adultery. It must have been worse for you (and women in general) due to the unspoken (well, sometimes spoken) idea of Eve as temptress to Adam, not to mention the whole "submission" thing.

Frankly, I'm surprised that women put up with Xianity's second-class citizen crap, especially since most churches would founder without female volunteers (children's ministry is a big example). If we were really created in God's image, both genders should have been taught to appreciate their bodies and revel in their sexuality instead of wallowing in guilt and shame over a natural drive. Yet another reason why I became an atheist, although a bit late in the game...hopefully you bailed out of the madness a lot sooner in life than I did!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Atheist_pilgrim's post
27-04-2013, 03:21 PM
(27-04-2013 02:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 02:01 PM)kim Wrote:  They already do; in the western world they call it a bra. Shy

Bras are sexy, mostly in the removal thereof. Burkhas... just don't do it for me. I'm weird like that.

People in the Middle East go banana's when they just see the ankles of women in burka's. Imagine when they remove the entire thing.

Probably what causes the numerous ridiculous riots every once in a while.

Also, God created your damn body! Why the hell is he so offended by it? Did he not create these carnal desires? Anyways this is what I believed happened if God existed with our reproduction system:

God created everything and yet a lot of it is wrong and sinful and then he blames it on us. I still find that fascinating and simply insane.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 3 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
28-04-2013, 04:46 AM
(27-04-2013 03:15 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 05:54 AM)GuiltyAngel Wrote:  The church group our family belongs to is one of those conservative churches in which women are not allowed to wear shorts or skirts that are above the knee like mini skirts. Women are also not allowed to wear tank tops, any type of sleeveless shirts (this goes for the males too), tube or tube dress, backless tops. Women are also not allowed to wear bathing suits or bikinis. Any clothing that's too showy of body parts are not allowed.

It's not just women who get read the lustful riot act (although you ladies bear the brunt of it, no doubt). Years ago at a church singles' group picnic in a local park next to a river, I doffed my outfit and went swimming in my Marine Corps UDT shorts (light brown, form-fitting swim trunks worn by the recon chaps; had a pair even though I was a rear-echelon type).

Anyway, when I got out to warm up and sunbathe, the pastor came over to me and said that I need to put a shirt on because he got some complaints from a couple of the women that I was making them "stumble."

Nowadays I couldn't fit into those shorts to save my life and I kind of look like a skinnier version of Matt Dillahunty, but back then I was in my twenties, still fit from my time in the Corps, and had a full head of hair. I remember being kind of flattered, but also upset because of their uptight attitude.

Looking back, perhaps it was their way of turning the tables on the male repression you highlight in your post. The Church has an unholy repulsion towards the human body and its natural sex drive, but even more insidious is its use of various prohibitions on said drive as a shame-based control mechanism.

Sadly enough, I bought into all of that crapola and ended up squandering my youth on chastity, while a couple of years later the same pastor who rebuked me got in trouble for adultery. It must have been worse for you (and women in general) due to the unspoken (well, sometimes spoken) idea of Eve as temptress to Adam, not to mention the whole "submission" thing.

Frankly, I'm surprised that women put up with Xianity's second-class citizen crap, especially since most churches would founder without female volunteers (children's ministry is a big example). If we were really created in God's image, both genders should have been taught to appreciate their bodies and revel in their sexuality instead of wallowing in guilt and shame over a natural drive. Yet another reason why I became an atheist, although a bit late in the game...hopefully you bailed out of the madness a lot sooner in life than I did!

I couldn't have said it better.. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
28-04-2013, 04:49 AM
This is why I love making new posts here. You guys have a lot of opinions about the things I say about religion and your point guys, may I just say are AWESOME! Makes me realize a lot of things as being new to atheism.

Love y'all!
[+] 1 user Likes GuiltyAngel's post
28-04-2013, 05:15 AM
GA,
You've probably seen Stephen Fry's comparison of the catholic church's attitude towards sex to eating disorders but just in case anyone else hasn't...

From 5 mins, 40 seconds

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-04-2013, 04:24 AM
Menstrual taboos anyone?
http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cd...Purity.htm

Quote:Jewish law forbids a husband to approach his wife during the time of her menses, generally from five to seven days, and extends the prohibition of any physical contact beyond this period for another seven days, known as the "seven clean days." (That is why one will always find, in observant Jewish homes, two beds for husband and wife, never a double bed.)

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user